Xingyiquan addict returns - Blog Post

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Addictions are hard to beat..... did XIngyiquan for several years, until arthritis and knee issues stopped it...and now this

Doubling Down - Blog Entry

XingyiQuan-300x271.jpg

Santishi_sunlutang.jpg

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, the local Xingyiquan class will not be happening. Not enough people interested....so far, only one.... me... so.... that is not happening
They should still hold the class. The problem that kung fu has, is that it takes some time to gain interest. Give me Jow Ga and one student to day and I'll have 20 solid students within a year.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
They should still hold the class. The problem that kung fu has, is that it takes some time to gain interest. Give me Jow Ga and one student to day and I'll have 20 solid students within a year.

I wish he would, but I don't blame him for not doing that.

Xingyiquan is always a hard sell. It is not well known like most IMA styles, It is not pretty like many IMA styles, it is very aggressive unlike most IMA styles, you WILL get hit, unlike many IMA styles, and the training hurts, and that hurting bit is required..unlike most IMA styles (See santi shi). You have to be a little nuts to want to train it....Probably why it appeals to me so much :)

Back when I was training it more and studying with a teacher in Boston I tried to get a training group going. Had multiple people I knew, from other martial arts styles, all say they were interested and they would be there. When the day came, one guy showed up, trained and when he was done told me he loved it, and if he was 10 years younger he'd train it more. But at 70 he did not want to get into it. I gave him props for showing up and giving it a try. I tried one more time, got a lot saying they'd be there, but when the day came...no one showed up.... and to be honest, I did not think they would

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But at 70 he did not want to get into it.
I trulty don't understand his reason.

At my age, I prefer to drill XingYi than to drill long fist. One day if I feel great, I will drill long fist. If I feel tired, I'll drill XingYi. For the amount of energy that I spend on 30 moves long fist form, I can spend the same amount of energy to repeat that 30 moves XingYi form 3 times. To me, to train XingYi is 3 times easier than to train long fist. I believe the main reason is the XingYi doesn't have that many kicks and jumps.

The only concern that I have toward XingYi is the leg skill training. If I can repeat foot sweep 20 times, I can feel my single leg balance is good (this is extreme important for people in their old age). I don't get that kind of feeling when I train XingYi.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Xingyiquan is always a hard sell.
I think this is true for a lot of kung fu systems. It's difficult and depressing to just teach one person. But that one person may have the answers to how to get more students. Kung fu teachers are really bad with marketing.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I trulty don't understand his reason.

At my age, I prefer to drill XingYi than to drill long fist. One day if I feel great, I will drill long fist. If I feel tired, I'll drill XingYi. For the amount of energy that I spend on 30 moves long fist form, I can spend the same amount of energy to repeat that 30 moves XingYi form 3 times. To me, to train XingYi is 3 times easier than to train long fist. I believe the main reason is the XingYi doesn't have that many kicks and jumps.

The only concern that I have toward XingYi is the leg skill training. If I can repeat foot sweep 20 times, I can feel my single leg balance is good (this is extreme important for people in their old age). I don't get that kind of feeling when I train XingYi.
People just like to train in a group and go through the same learning experience.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think this is true for a lot of kung fu systems. It's difficult and depressing to just teach one person. But that one person may have the answers to how to get more students. Kung fu teachers are really bad with marketing.
Well people are generally lazy, and kung Fu isn't fast food.

We live in an age where superpowers come with random mutation, radiation, super serum, spider bites, you were bitten by a vampire, blessed or cursed by a god, born a god, whatever.

Kung Fu? Talk about an antique idea.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kung fu teachers are really bad with marketing.
- What's the most important thing for old people? A good balance that you won't fall down during old age.
- How to develop a good balance? You will need to drill leg skill with single leg balance.

If I teach old people for health, this is one drill that I will teach them.

If one can do this, that's even better for balance.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions