WWII Vet Fights Off Home Invader, Gunfight Ensues

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2009/12/10/news/doc4b20824b0f085368348438.txt

Media woman facing charges in violent Ridley home invasion

RIDLEY TOWNSHIP — Nora Taylor thought she had all of the bases covered when she plotted to rob an 84-year-old man of several guns he had in his home on Franklin Avenue, police said.

What she didn’t count on was that Don Kaighn, her alleged intended victim, was a spunky, spry 84-year-old World War II veteran determined to not let anyone get over on him.

That one miscalculation, along with the determination of township detectives, has landed Taylor in the county jail on $1 million cash bail, police said.

“This guy’s a World War II vet, 84, a member of the Field and Stream Gun Club where he shoots every day,” said Detective Lt. Scott Willoughby. “He lives by the NRA motto that he’s not going to be a victim. Thank God, no one was injured in this case.”

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
1) well done to the homeowner for repelling boarders when the chips were down despite starter fluid in his eyes, however:

2) Never open your door to unknown people

3) Learn how to store your weapons so only YOU can get at them in any useful condition.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
After seeing this sort of thing all too often, I will never use cleaning services or in-home health care. Put me in a home first.

As to the "thank goodness nobody was hurt" part: I would say "thank goodness the homeowner wasn't hurt." I personally wished that the old timer had put his rounds on target.

Latest Discussions