Wudang defense question

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That doesn't really make me feel better. I already left one MA forum once because of a lack of supporting atmosphere.
Stick with it and it'll get better. This place is actually very supportive. If you check out the discussions where people post their sparring videos, or techniques, or forms, then you'll see that support. Not only that but you'll see good advice and good recommendations.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That doesn't really make me feel better. I already left one MA forum once because of a lack of supporting atmosphere.
I think what happened here is that you unknowingly stumbled into the trap of not knowing much about how the Chinese methods work. That isn't your fault, most people don't understand it, including a lot who practice them and even many of those who teach them.

Some of us here do have a better than average understanding of how it works, so when we see comments or statemements that make it clear to us that somebody is misunderstanding things, we kind of can't help but jump in and try to clear things up.

Honestly, the intentions are good. Some people don't receive the message well, they don't want to consider that their years of training might have been missing something critical or important. It can be a difficult message for some people to hear, and often people just refuse to hear it. When that happens, the discussion can become difficult.

Honestly tho, our comments were intended to give you a better understanding of the big picture, if you are interested in realism in your writing, then you ought to look at it in a different way. We are actually just trying to share, we are trying to help you understand what you need to consider, in your writing, and a lot of research might be required if you want an accurate portrayal. Or, you might decide you simply need to change the focus of how you portray martial arts in your writing. These are decisions you need to make, we just try to give relevant and honest information. It's not meant to bully.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mad respect for y'all and your method, but this thread has given me a whole new appreciation for karate, boxing, etc...lol.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mad respect for y'all and your method, but this thread has given me a whole new appreciation for karate, boxing, etc...lol.
I think the same issues are part of good karate and boxing as well. Honestly, I think most people who train have a fairly shallow understanding of what they are doing. It can still be very effective, especially if someone is athletic, but there is a deeper level that my impression is most people don't understand.

Latest Discussions