Cracking Skull With Punch

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If someone who trains seriously in iron fist and has an extremely strong punch (Mike Tyson level), punches someone in the head cleanly could they crack the persons skull? And don't give me any of that nonsense of "oh they'll just break their hand." People can punch people in the head if they condition their fist. My question is specifically if the skull could be cracked by a punch?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If someone who trains seriously in iron fist and has an extremely strong punch (Mike Tyson level), punches someone in the head cleanly could they crack the persons skull? And don't give me any of that nonsense of "oh they'll just break their hand." People can punch people in the head if they condition their fist. My question is specifically if the skull could be cracked by a punch?
Sure. But, it depends on a lot of things.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Sounds like you already have an answer in mind.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Working as an athletic trainer (sports medicine), I saw skull fractures from elbows, kicks, and head to head collisions. They were all unintentional. So I guess why not?

A caveat - those were all facial fractures. The face is part of the skull after all.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Working as an athletic trainer (sports medicine), I saw skull fractures from elbows, kicks, and head to head collisions. They were all unintentional. So I guess why not?

A caveat - those were all facial fractures. The face is part of the skull after all.
Eyebrow ridge is often broken. I think he's talking brain bucket though.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sure.

But a lot of it will be dependent on the body position and how much the head/neck and upper body can "give" to absorb or lessen the blow.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Only way to be sure, I suppose, is to fly to Vegas and ask Mike Tyson to punch you in the skull.

Please report back!
... and can you get me some gray M&Ms from the M&M store? Thanks!

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've only seen the maxilla bones and zygomatic bones fractured.

I know he was talking cranial bones and not facial, but I had to throw those in there.

Edit: I remember seeing an American soccer player get a skull fracture from an elbow by a Brazilian player in the '94 World Cup. I think it was the temporal bone. The commentators thought he was playing it up to get the guy thrown out, then they said toward the end of the game that he in fact fractured his skull. Didn't look like too bad of a hit in real time. It was more of a thing like the right amount of force at the right angle.

OP
DanT

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Only way to be sure, I suppose, is to fly to Vegas and ask Mike Tyson to punch you in the skull.

Please report back!
Ha ha Actually I was looking for test subjects, message me if interested.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Given the shape of the skull, I would guess any break caused by a punch is only likely to happen if there's a weak point (thus the facial bones are more likely). It's not impossible, but I don't think a punch to the cranial bone is likely to be a predictable break.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're talking strictly about the portion of the skull enclosing the brain, I'd say that while it's possible, it is extremely unlikely, unless the head is against the ground or something else that prevents it from moving away from the punch.
Facial fractures are common, especially the zygomatic arch (think cheek bone...). And zygomatic arch fractures will occasionally extend down into the base of the skull. Basilar skull fractures rarely require another more than observation and antibiotics. Maxillary fractures are less common, and also less likely to extend into the base of the skull.
Mandible fractures are not uncommon, but that's clearly not part of what most people mean by 'the skull.'

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you're talking strictly about the portion of the skull enclosing the brain, I'd say that while it's possible, it is extremely unlikely, unless the head is against the ground or something else that prevents it from moving away from the punch.
Facial fractures are common, especially the zygomatic arch (think cheek bone...). And zygomatic arch fractures will occasionally extend down into the base of the skull. Basilar skull fractures rarely require another more than observation and antibiotics. Maxillary fractures are less common, and also less likely to extend into the base of the skull.
Mandible fractures are not uncommon, but that's clearly not part of what most people mean by 'the skull.'
Any fool can bounce some one's head off a curb. Teach us the secret stuff. :D

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you're talking anywhere on the face bones, H*CK yes. But the cranial bone, with a punch? Nope. The MVP vs. Cyborg injury comes to mind - but that was a flying knee against an advancing face at a hihg speed timed just rihgt.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has looked this up on google yet to see if there are cases of this happening before.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
As with most things....it depends.

The skull has weak points where the plates have grown together. In fact, in the bubishi one of the "dim mak" targets is the coronal suture. Although due to it's location would be harder to punch unless the person is bent forward quite a ways. There are also areas where the skull is thicker and thinner and is more susceptible to fracture in those areas.

Imaging in Skull Fractures: Overview, Radiography, Computed Tomography (more than you ever wanted to know about skull fractures)

Isshin - Concentration the Art: Bubishi A Close Look Redoux Part 11 (quick blog look at the points listed in the bubishi for reference)

Here is a discussion on how much force is required to fracture the skull
How much force does it take to break a human skull?

Here is a discussion on how much force is required to crack a coconut
How much force is required to break a coconut

Human Skull=1100 lbs Coconut=1400 lbs So, seeing legitimate coconut breaks, theoretically you could train the hand to crack a skull

That being said, the head is very mobile and still very hard. While it COULD be done, it would more than likely be a rare occurrence.

Latest Discussions