WTF Licence Cards 2011

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here comes the true seperation from KKW and the WTF, new certificates as well just for the sport side of things.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't open the link, what's the idea? Like a competition license?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here comes the true seperation from KKW and the WTF, new certificates as well just for the sport side of things.

what exactly does that mean, "the sport side of things"? What purpose does it serve to separate "sport" vs. something else? personally, I don't see the distinction, and if anything, the "sport" competitors are the ones who train longer, and harder and with more purpose than the "non-sport" practitioners.

Also, many of the so called "traditional" aspects of the martial arts have their origins in competition. Judo for example, needed a standardized uniform so that contests could be held between equally equipped competitors. Sport competitors have standardized uniforms, to ensure a level playing field. Belt ranks were started so that competitors could be matched by skill level. Even one step sparring, which most traditionalists consider an important part of self defense training, was originally used to teach competition, not for self defense, hence the name one step "sparring", not one step self defense. If your goal is to be a traditional martial arts guy, then you really don't need to have a uniform, or a belt or rank. Just go do what the Okinawan practitioners did and train in the privacy of your back yard in your loin cloth.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The regret I have with sparring is the rule changes. I can remember when we sparred flat out and no extra points were given for spinning kicks or any of that stuff. A few years ago I'd never even consider a tornado kick in competition, now because it's worth more I end up drilling it in class.

Latest Discussions