Would There be More or Less

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's no secret that Mr. Parker ruled the IKKA and the American Kenpo community with an iron hand. If you got out of line you were axed from the association. A few were axed as recently as the late 80's. You just didn't mess with EP Sr.

After his death, seeing that he never named a sucessor, (and I'm sure he never wanted too), Allot of people thought that the Committee (i.e. Executive VP of the IKKA) would step in. But it wasn't set up that way. EP Sr. never specified what he wanted to happen.

This is all from what I have heard from the Seniors I have spoken to. I was not there but my take on it is that some people weren't happy with what the Parker family was doing, some were ambitious, what have you. Whatever it was here we are and you know what...it's not the stripes on your belt that makes you a great Kenpoist...it's the knowledge you posess.

Take all the stripes off and go back to solid black I say...:rofl: :idunno:

OP
L

lifewise

Originally posted by Sigung86

Alas, as I have said before, it is not to good to put these "seniors" up on pedestals, because many many of them will be found to have clay feet.

Dan

I agree:asian:

OP
L

lifewise

Originally posted by Michael Billings

Without a doubt!!! So many projects, and who knew, so little time. A loss too great for words.
-MB
UKS-Texas

This is getting a little off topic, but it looks like most think there would be more Kenpoists if SGM Parker were still with us.

I am interested to know what projects people knew of that he may of completed that would have contributed to the popularity of our art.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1. Continue the video series that was just begun with his 1st two tapes.

2. Additional volumes of Infinite Insights would have been material worked on in the 80's instead of 70's.

3. The IKKA, specifically Mr. Parker appeared to have been working toward reconsolodating American Kenpo, less axing & more grafting.

4. Additional guidance for Kenpo in the Movies. I do not know what else Jeff Speakman or others could have done with Mr. Parker's influence and connections in Hollywood.

This is just scratching the surface. His had an interest in computers, would be doing DVD's now instead of video, and a whole generation of martial artists have not been exposed to his enthusiasm, expertise, and personality.

Dennis put a list up once of some of the projects he was working on in that briefcase of his. Then his son Edmund Jr. has shared others. They could speak much more directly to this than I could.

-Michael
UKS-Texas

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo3631

I was told that Mr. Planas and Mr. Palanzo were both slated to be promoted to 8th Black. However Mr. Parker died before he could present it to them. That is why I think in 1991 Mr. Palanzo strapped on the 8th...I think he felt he was entitled to it...:idunno:

The first 8th was slated to be Chuck Sullivan as the most senior still affiliated with Mr. Parker. Chuck chose to, in his own way, turn it down. I have no doubt ultimately a lot of people would have made 8th and beyond.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk
Amazing the things people do sometimes. I heard there was
more than one who acted in the same EXACT fashion. I won't
ask you names Mr. C, but any truth to this?

I won't deny it.

:asian:

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk

The difference is, Bruce left a successor. Made it clear publicly.

That may be true Kirk, but it still did not stop a lot of internal strife in the JKD world.

It never stopped a lot of political strife in the Shorin-ryu world.

It never stopped a lot of political strife in the Shotokan world.

It never stopped a lot of political strife in the TKD/Hapkido world.

Point is that people are going to be what they are... There are folks out there like Dennis, myself, and one other guy, whose name I can't remember ( :rofl: ) who want equitable solutions to the ranking issue, but find that there is nothing really workable at this point in time. Workable meaning something that everyone will abide by. Too many people are either a)Too Independent within a given set of beneficial circumstance. b) Too egotistical and want the biggest slice of whatever pie is set before them.

Let me put a hypothetical before you ... You are 25 years of age. You take all your material and refine and organize it. You go before a "qualifying" body and based on your amount of material, and your ability to perform it, they give you a 9th degree Black Belt. Do you wear it? Do you proclaim it? Is it "really" valid?
If so why. If not why?

Another hypothetical (well, maybe not so hypothetical) ... You are in your 40s. You have been a 5th or 6th degree for a number of years. You suddenly find yourself in an organization where everybody loves you. They pronounce you an eighth, ninth, or perhaps even a tenth. Do you accept it? Do you wear it? Do you proclaim it? Is it really valid? If so why? If not why?

What REAAAAAALLLLLYYYY is the difference between a ninth degree and a tenth degree Black Belt? I have kind of been wondering that... And if it isn't a little hypocritcal to be given a ninth and then yell loud and long that you would never take a tenth?

Rank is probably something that should be laid out in complete fashion from yellow to tenth, eleventh, ... 15th Black (If we need to go that high). There should not be any question as to what the requirements are for promotion to any given rank, at any given time in any system to include things like required techniques, kata, time in grade, types of possible service to the martial arts community, etc. That would, in my perhaps not so humble opinion, eliminate a lot of the current BS.

It is pretty cut and dried in associations like the IKCA, where it is cradel to grave for promotion. It is theoretically possible for every person in the IKCA to, someday, achieve a tenth degree Black. That is how their association bylaws are laid out. That is probably the way it should be in every association. Notice that I'm not saying style. Rank promotion in the higher echelons could not ever be laid back to a simple system requirement, as there are too many written and unwritten variables built into those requirements.

Jus' sum thoughts.

Dan

ps: I leave you with the following, which is a collection of thoughts that was on a website. It was written by one of SGM Parker's first bunch of Black Belts. Simply for what it is worth.

Those who understand the "Parker principle" also understand why Ed never chose his successor. He had taught correct principles, and like Alexander the Great, he would leave succession to those who were best qualified. In the decade before Ed's premature death, he no longer taught. Rather he taught through his writings. He had seen the failure of American Kenpo, but it was not a failure of the system. Rather it was a failure of his American Kenpo black belts to teach the principles he established with American Kenpo. Some of these black belts left him to found their own organizations where they would teach their versions of American Kenpo. They took with them the techniques, but for the most part, they left his "correct principles" behind.

As with the untimely death of Alexander the Great, so to in the aftermath of Ed Parker's death, the American Kenpo empire has been divided. The IKKA has floundered due to defections, internal politics and divisiveness. Already American Kenpo is being interpreted and reinterpreted by Ed Parker's new American Kenpo black belts. Yet as Ed stated just three months before he died, none of his black belts knew the meaning of the flower he showed them.

In death Ed Parker has become a legend, bigger than life. His new black belts have scrambled to fill the void in the system. But American Kenpo was never a system. It is the visible expression of Ed Parker's philosophy. A philosophy that holds that correct principles replace style; a philosophy that allows the same move to be taught a myriad of ways with each way being the right way. Ed lamented, some three months before his death that he had awarded black belts, but none had earned his philosopher's cloak. None had learned to think for himself. Few were innovative.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

I'm glad I don't believe everything I read these days!

:rofl: :eek: :D :shrug:

Maybe ... some of it, you should. And Dennis... I'm not quite sure why you are trying so hard to deride what someone else has written, just out of hand.

Dan

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In my best Don Knotts imitiation ...

Well, I guess we can consider this another issue skirted and/or avoided and just in the nickof time too!

:rolleyes: :eek: :rofl: :D ;)

Don ... er ... Dan

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am sure that The Right Reverend BoB would gladly do that! Me too!

SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCK!!!! is hereby granted!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dan Farmer
Proxy Stand in for The Right Reverend BoB,
Head Doowhacker of the First Church of the Immaculate Misconception and Presumptuous Assumption

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoGirl

Amen to that! :cheers:

There are many seniors out there that deserve their high rank, I doubt that any of them would be 10th, if SGM Parker was still around. Not so much because they don't deserve it but that out of respect for SGM I would think they would remain at 9th. Unless SGM Parker ranked them to 10th himself.

Of course that would be a different story for those that were no longer with the IKKA, and having their own system / organization. They would probablly continue to do as they wish.

Dot

This is right on with my reasons for not caring for ANY of the 10th's out there. No Mr. Parker is not around, but out of respect for their teacher they shouldn't except that rank.

Let me put a hypothetical before you ... You are 25 years of age. You take all your material and refine and organize it. You go before a "qualifying" body and based on your amount of material, and your ability to perform it, they give you a 9th degree Black Belt. Do you wear it? Do you proclaim it? Is it "really" valid?

If you have created a new system then I supose you could wear it.

Another hypothetical (well, maybe not so hypothetical) ... You are in your 40s. You have been a 5th or 6th degree for a number of years. You suddenly find yourself in an organization where everybody loves you. They pronounce you an eighth, ninth, or perhaps even a tenth. Do you accept it? Do you wear it? Do you proclaim it? Is it really valid? If so why? If not why?

No I would not. If your joining an organization just to get rank, what good are you? I would join because of what they do and how they represent american kenpo. I don't think this was so hypothetical because it looks to me like that's what has happened and why there are so many out there now.

My humble opinion

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Klondike93
If your joining an organization just to get rank, what good are you?
I couldn't agree more..... but there are many more out there than you would guess that do just that, and equally available are those out there that are glad to accommodate you with that fast promotion based upon whatever training you have........ the price must be right!

Latest Discussions