Would There be More or Less

L

lifewise

What's your opinion - If SGM Parker was still alive, would there be more Kenpoists or less? Why?

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Obviously, if he were alive there would be AT LEAST ONE MORE
I do not think; however, that was the answer you were looking for. I personally feel that if he were still alive there would be a lot more Kenpoist and a lot less splinter groups going on. I believe that had he had the opportunity to continue his work and some of the things he was doing, he would have reached a lot more people. :asian:

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not only more, but the quality of instruction would be a lot better.
Mostly because the fakes would be exposed and tossed aside with the rest of the trash.

:asian:

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score
if history is anything to base something on- odds are that popularity in american kenpo (and all its branches) has probably grown in part because of his passing.

Ed Parker was at his zenith in popularity well before his passing- the 60s and 70s is where his own personal influence was greatest.

the fracturing of his large parent organization into dozens of smaller ones has probably been beneficial to the overall growth of Kenpo. - dozens of self motivated groups through out the world vying for students is better for growth than one large family run business with the same goal.

peace:asian:

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Originally posted by lifewise

What's your opinion - If SGM Parker was still alive, would there be more Kenpoists or less? Why?

Another question you could ask would be ....

Would there be as many higher ranking instructors (above 7th Dan) then there are now?

dot

OP
W

WilliamTLear

I think that if Mr. Parker were still with us the amount of people signed up for Kenpo would be the same.

One of the things that my instructor and I were talking about the other day was this very same topic... We both think that Mr. Parker let the I.K.K.A. get too big too fast. The end result being todays off-shoot associations.

As for the number of high ranking Senior Kenpoists being out there... some would be there... others wouldn't be.

Just my Opinion,
Billy Lear

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoGirl

Would there be as many higher ranking instructors (above 7th Dan) then there are now?

dot

I was told that Mr. Planas and Mr. Palanzo were both slated to be promoted to 8th Black. However Mr. Parker died before he could present it to them. That is why I think in 1991 Mr. Palanzo strapped on the 8th...I think he felt he was entitled to it...:idunno:

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I thunk he got it from the old (now defunct?) WKKO? or some such ... by magnanimous approbation.:confused:

Dan

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have heard this from many...

EP was going to promote Huk and Joe to 8th, I beleive after he returned from Hawaii. Unfortunatley that never happened :( .

It is rumored that Joe even went so far as to ask Mrs. Parker about it at the funeral...how true that is I don't know.

When he formed the WKKA (Worldwide Kenpo Karate Association) he proclaimed he was an eighth degree black....

Maybe it was "devine right" , who knows....:shrug:

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry ... WKKA, not WKKO ... My apologies to anyone in the WKKO!

I may still have the minutes of the meeting around here somewhere. Seems that it was given by the members in a big meeting, as I remember.

Dan

OP
K

Kirk

Amazing the things people do sometimes. I heard there was
more than one who acted in the same EXACT fashion. I won't
ask you names Mr. C, but any truth to this?

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoGirl

dot

there would be a lot less tenth degrees running around that's for sure...;)

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What is interesting is that there were, and are, plenty of self-serving people at the time of SGM Parker's passing. However, it is not so very different than in any other system where the founder has died. Look at all the infighting that went on in Jeet Kune Do.

Alas, as I have said before, it is not to good to put these "seniors" up on pedestals, because many many of them will be found to have clay feet.

Dan

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Sigung86

Look at all the infighting that went on in Jeet Kune Do.

The difference is, Bruce left a successor. Made it clear publicly.

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Originally posted by Sigung86

Alas, as I have said before, it is not to good to put these "seniors" up on pedestals, because many many of them will be found to have clay feet.

Dan

Amen to that! :cheers:

There are many seniors out there that deserve their high rank, I doubt that any of them would be 10th, if SGM Parker was still around. Not so much because they don't deserve it but that out of respect for SGM I would think they would remain at 9th. Unless SGM Parker ranked them to 10th himself.

Of course that would be a different story for those that were no longer with the IKKA, and having their own system / organization. They would probablly continue to do as they wish.

Dot

Latest Discussions