Would a single art survive in UFC?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by art? There is no reason to believe that if someone called their wrestling/jiu-jitsu/muay thai blend a fancy name and described it as a seperate art it wouldn't do just fine.

I suspect this isn't what you mean though.

Lamont

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I am not sure. It would seem that if a BJJ practitioner or a wrestler do well then I don't see why a good hapkidoist wouldn't fare well.

This is all I am saying on the matter, I see this turning into a "It would never work" kind of thread.

However, I do know that judo does exceptionally well. To my knowledge all the people who have beaten the Gracies were all fabulous Judo players.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
oh please... not ANOTHER MMA vs all comers thread.. ENOUGH already :soapbox:

And if you are going to start one of these type threads at least do a little research and pick a CMA that is not mainly for forms competition and acrobatics. Sheeeeesh

OP
jkd friend

jkd friend

Green Belt
Reaction score
oh please... not ANOTHER MMA vs all comers thread.. ENOUGH already :soapbox:

And if you are going to start one of these type threads at least do a little research and pick a CMA that is not mainly for forms competition and acrobatics. Sheeeeesh

:asian::asian:
OK my friend be calm it's going to be OOOOOOOOO.TTTTTTTTTTAYYY

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Would a single art be successful in the UFC say wu-shu or something of the sort?

If someone wants to succeed in MMA they have to become proficient in all of the skills required to succeed in MMA. If they don't train those skills, they will not succeed.

You need to stop thinking about styles in the classical sense if you are looking at MMA.

It's kind of like asking if one style could do well in boxing, and not considering boxing to be a style.

MMA is its own style now, other styles will not do well within its playground. Not unless there is considerable overlap, and a fair bit of cross training is done. And even then, without actually training in MMA, you're not going to get far.

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Would a single art be successful in the UFC say wu-shu or something of the sort?

It is not the art it is the fighters ability to execute his art.

UFC has rules and the rules are such that grappling arts fair better than striking ones typically.

Take away the rules and other arts may suddenly become more viable. Simply put the most common way to take out a wrestler is to strike with leathal force which you can not do in the UFC.

--Infy

OP
jkd friend

jkd friend

Green Belt
Reaction score
It is not the art it is the fighters ability to execute his art.

UFC has rules and the rules are such that grappling arts fair better than striking ones typically.

Take away the rules and other arts may suddenly become more viable. Simply put the most common way to take out a wrestler is to strike with leathal force which you can not do in the UFC.

--Infy

O.K but what do you mean by leathal force?

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
No, there is no single art that would survive well enough to get a practitioner up the rungs of MMA to the UFC or PRIDE.

Modern MMA consists of the techniques, principles, etc. of the "big four" arts - Western boxing, western wrestling, muay thai and BJJ or another mix of arts that provides the same things.

Even when we speak people as practitioners primarily of one art, like Fedor with SAMBO, or Mirko with kickboxing, they are training all the areas of MMA to some extent, even if they have a strong preferance towards a particular or a particular art. They may even train at a training hall that proclaims that it teaches one particular style, but they will have coaches and training parteners who make sure they are proficient in the others as well.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, there is no single art that would survive well enough to get a practitioner up the rungs of MMA to the UFC or PRIDE.

Modern MMA consists of the techniques, principles, etc. of the "big four" arts - Western boxing, western wrestling, muay thai and BJJ.

Even when we speak people as practitioners primarily of one art, like Fedor with SAMBO, or Mirko with kickboxing, they are training all the areas of MMA to some extent, even if they have a strong preferance towards a particular or a particular art. They may even train at a training hall that proclaims that it teaches one particular style, but they will have coaches and training parteners who make sure they are proficient in the others as well.

He has a point. I have a friend who pals with Matt Hughe's brother. It seems that after Matt took a killing from St. Pierre he hired a great Muay Thai coach.

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
O.K but what do you mean by leathal force?

I mean blows who's only purpose is to either break or kill the attacker.

For example a heal strike to the instep will break the foot. Break the foot the shooting wrestler can not shoot.

Also the groin is generally off limits and lots of ways to stop a grappler involve groin shots.

--Infy

OP
jkd friend

jkd friend

Green Belt
Reaction score

Modern MMA consists of the techniques, principles, etc. of the "big four" arts - Western boxing, western wrestling, muay thai and BJJ or another mix of arts that provides the same things.

So to you know single art can suvive a MMA practitoner?

OP
jkd friend

jkd friend

Green Belt
Reaction score
I mean blows who's only purpose is to either break or kill the attacker.

For example a heal strike to the instep will break the foot. Break the foot the shooting wrestler can not shoot.

Also the groin is generally off limits and lots of ways to stop a grappler involve groin shots.

--Infy

Maybe so but a good legal strike can get to the best of wrestlers.:asian:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well if it is by a respective painter maybe, oh we are talking about Martial Arts I'll leave now this has been beat to death

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

The short answer: No, a single style can't be successful. If you look back to the first few UFC events, you will see a number of one dimensional fighters. That was fine because thats what it was all about...style vs. style. Now look at the fighters today. Everyone is x-training in BJJ, Thai boxing, boxing, wrestling, etc. If someone entered today with only striking, chances are they'd get destroyed.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Foot stomps are legal, and used by some. Never seem to have the effect you attribute to them though.

I first saw them used by Ruas against Varleans (sp) in UFC 7. I dont think his foot was broke, but between those and the leg kicks, Paul was taking a beating. :) It certainly wore him down pretty good.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I agree with this. Another good example is Chuck Liddell. While he does train grappling, I'd say he's more a striker, but yet, hes got a great takedown defense. :)

Mike

Latest Discussions