Work overseas?

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ha sanyone worked overseas?
What did you do, how long were you there and what were the good and bad experiences that you had?

I am looking at possibly trying to find a job in China or Japan and work over there for awhile. Any advice? Also how do you go about looking for jobs overseas. It is one thing to try and find a job here in the states but it is another trying to find a job in another country.

Thanks in advance

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
I spent a year in NZ, and probably 7+ months of it working.

The first thing you need to do is decide which country to which you're going, and make sure you read every bit of information on that country's immigration policy concerning work visas/permits. No two countries are the same, and the visa's themselves generally vary depending on length of stay, employment opportunities, field, etc etc.

As far as getting a job, it's a good idea to find the websites that cater to jobhunters before you go over there. I know places like monster.com have some international ads, but there is normally some specific for that country. It's not easy to get a job either, depending on your field. In positions that would be seen as long-term ("white collar" type jobs), the people know you're only there temporarily, so they don't look quite as favorably on you (unless of course, you're some kind of god in that job and they want to entice you to stay). Try some of the recruiting agencies/"headhunters" for that area as well. They'll have some shorter term work that is probably better suited to a working visitor. Also, they'll probably be more accustomed to dealing with foreign workers, so they'll know the ins-and-outs of what you need to put down to really get in to work in the end.

Hope this helps, and good luck!!

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice! I tried to rep u but it said i had to spread some around first. :)