Wood tools

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering what was your favorite wooden tool and what type of woods have you tried? Like did you use a Ipe Ninjato booken or hanbo? Also might include who you got them from and any bad experiences also. I know there is a movement towards the new polymers and such but always liked tradition.

OP
newtothe dark

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Okay I love my Hanbo its hickory I liked the weight better than the Oak one I had. I also like my white Oak Jo the balance is different and for some reason like it made that way might just be habit.
I also have trained in Chinese martial arts most of my life so I have alot of rattan,bamaboo and some wax wood which are all flexible which can be wild. It was one of my first challenges when I swithed to Budo was the fact we mostly hit with staffs the joint locks were and still are a learning thing for me. I often laugh 35 years in the martial arts and I finally got my green belt.

kcs

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i like the bo it is made out of hickory. i never liked the bo until i got into budo taijutsu. i also like the bokken.

OP
newtothe dark

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
on a different thought my bokken was given to me by a freind it a supposedly japanese red oak and is the same size as a normal bokken sold anywhere except like 2x as heavy after 15 minutes I can start to feel it in my arm deep lol, I love it.
I also has the good old store version 6ft "red oak" bow and the first time i was doing some hard training and hit it against that bokken it shattered and learned some doging skills as it came at me in peices (last time I let someone use that bokken against me):duel:

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hickory is great, of course. I also like Japanese white oak for bokken, and I've had pretty good luck with black walnut for hanbo. Black walnut takes on a really nice chocolate brown finish when oiled and sanded. It also helps make your hanbo less likely to wander off during training. :lol:

OP
newtothe dark

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The walnut sounds cool. I have a freind who got an unfinished rosewood hanbo that has changed from a purpleish to an almost brown with some gold in it from the oils in his hands. I also had a freind I was talking to over the holidays who had a bokken of "tigerwood" never heard of it he said he loved the weight and balance but turned out to be rather brittle.

Latest Discussions