Wong Training

MonkgWong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum but not to martial arts - indeed I was training as a youngling many years ago. I'd be fascinated to discuss the martial arts and talk about my own experiences as a student, teacher, warrior and monk.

Best wishes,

Monk Wong

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk, MonkWong. Hope you enjoy it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum but not to martial arts - indeed I was training as a youngling many years ago. I'd be fascinated to discuss the martial arts and talk about my own experiences as a student, teacher, warrior and monk.

Best wishes,

Monk Wong
Welcome to the forum. Could you give us some background into your experiences?

OP
M

MonkgWong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Very happy to share! I was born to the son of a local fisherman - a humble beginning - but through my training in the northern Shaolin initially, and then training under Master Li (family style) I managed to get ahead in life. Happy to answer all questions :)

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Long, long time ago in a far, far galaxy lived a young son of fisherman...

OP
M

MonkgWong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was born in 1950 - not so long ago young man.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Very happy to share! I was born to the son of a local fisherman - a humble beginning - but through my training in the northern Shaolin initially, and then training under Master Li (family style) I managed to get ahead in life. Happy to answer all questions :)
Would love to see some video of your personal training.

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

You've changed your story from the other site.... and where exactly is youngling.... not in the Himalayas, that I know

OP
M

MonkgWong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I did indeed learn from Master Li - they say even demons feared him for his fighting prowess what that of a tiger. Indeed Master Li learned from Grandmaster Yang. For clarity, Master Li had only two students. Any other questions?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I did indeed learn from Master Li - they say even demons feared him for his fighting prowess what that of a tiger. Indeed Master Li learned from Grandmaster Yang. For clarity, Master Li had only two students. Any other questions?

Grand master Yang.....hmmm...you know, we went over this on that other site...(I guess all I can say about that is 对牛弹琴) .....but if you give me Master Li's full name in Chinese I can then check to see if he actually did train with Yang Chengfu....or if Yang Chengfu thought of him as a student....and what province did this training occur in by the way.... and congratulations on such a great internet connection in the Himalayas with all those tigers, leopards and cranes fighting nearby

OP
M

MonkgWong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not referring to Yang Chengfu - 'Yang' is a common name in Chinese, it is a terrible shame you are not aware of this. Grandmaster Yang was a different man, greatly admired in martial arts circles for his crushing fist. Most of my training occurred in Henan province; considered by some to be the homeland of martial arts and one of the wisest provinces.

I will share a story from my training as a youngling - perhaps that will be a sight for sore eyes?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm not referring to Yang Chengfu - 'Yang' is a common name in Chinese, it is a terrible shame you are not aware of this. Grandmaster Yang was a different man, greatly admired in martial arts circles for his crushing fist. Most of my training occurred in Henan province; considered by some to be the homeland of martial arts and one of the wisest provinces.

I will share a story from my training as a youngling - perhaps that will be a sight for sore eyes?

Actually I am very aware of this, likely much more than you are, On the other site it appeared to be Yang Chengfu, and now your story is changing...and Chinese martial artists, as I told you on the other site, do not refer to other Chinese martial artists as Grandmaster...you should have listened to that bit of advice...Henan...interesting....So you are then fluent in the 濟南話; jǐnánhuà dialect then.

And there are those that thing Shandong is the martial arts province, but there are those that think many others are martial arts provinces too.

You said you were born the son of a local fisherman....was that also in Henan?

What was Yang's full name.... in Chinese characters...or at least in Pinyin....or is was he also living and training secretly in the Himalayas as I was told you are.

Oh and how is the free website with the dead links going?

OP
M

MonkgWong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It appeared to be Yang Chengfu did it? Was this in a vision you had? Anything else appear to you? How about we stop with your imaginary fairly tales and face the truth.

Yes, some think Shandong is the martial arts province, others think Henan - hence "considered by some" etc.

If you are referring to my homepage: The Temple of Monk Wong - it is alive and well thank you. However, I am not an armchair warrior and spend most of my time training in real life.

Yes, happy to talk about my childhood as son of a local fisherman. I grew up cleaning the fishing rods, dealing with the fish etc. It served as decent Li Gong training, toughening my muscles and mind. Indeed I was thought of by some as quite an upstart at times, dealing with local hoodlums and the like. One day however I saw a martial arts demonstration (Long Fist). I stepped into the fighting arena, considering myself a strong'n, and was soundly beaten by my opponent. It was after that I embarked on my journey into the martial arts.

Any other questions?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It appeared to be Yang Chengfu did it? Was this in a vision you had? Anything else appear to you? How about we stop with your imaginary fairly tales and face the truth.

What the heck are you talking about. I asked for the full Chinese name of the are referring to, characters are preferable, but pinyin will do

The "Vision" is from your student, who claims to have trained with you in the Himalayas it was posted on the other site. I have no imaginary fairy tale, I am just quoting what was said "about" you, by one of your students on another site, who also linked your webpage.

Here, may this will help

Yes, some think Shandong is the martial arts province, others think Henan - hence "considered by some" etc.

If you are referring to my homepage: The Temple of Monk Wong - it is alive and well thank you. However, I am not an armchair warrior and spend most of my time training in real life.

Yes, happy to talk about my childhood as son of a local fisherman. I grew up cleaning the fishing rods, dealing with the fish etc. It served as decent Li Gong training, toughening my muscles and mind. Indeed I was thought of by some as quite an upstart at times, dealing with local hoodlums and the like. One day however I saw a martial arts demonstration (Long Fist). I stepped into the fighting arena, considering myself a strong'n, and was soundly beaten by my opponent. It was after that I embarked on my journey into the martial arts.

Any other questions?

Well there are 2 I posted you did not answer

You said you trained in Henan, are you then fluent in 濟南話; jǐnánhuà dialect

What province were you born in, or raised in ?

Also, your webpage, still has the same dead links

OP
M

MonkgWong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It didn't appear to be Yang Chengfu to anyone but you.

Yes, I was born in Henan and speak the dialect fluently, but as this forum is for English speakers I think it's best we communicate in that language. As for the pinyin of Master Li - sure, it is "Lí".

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It didn't appear to be Yang Chengfu to anyone but you.

Yes, I was born in Henan and speak the dialect fluently, but as this forum is for English speakers I think it's best we communicate in that language. As for the pinyin of Master Li - sure, it is "Lí".

So you speak 濟南話; jǐnánhuà dialect then, is that correct?

Are you still in the Himalayas as your student said?

OK, my apologies then for the Yang Chengfu bit is....but you still have not told me the full name of Yang shigong, in characters or if not that them Pinyin.

What is Yang Shigong's full name?

OP
M

MonkgWong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As I keep on typing I speak the Henan province dialect but I insist we type in English here as that is the format of this forum - I don't think this is hard to understand.

I am no longer in the Himalayas, though my training there proved fruitful. I had a particularly interesting encounter with some bandits a few months ago, but perhaps it is a story for another time.

As for Grandmaster Yang - I am not certain he would want his true identity revealed. However, I can tell you that the pinyin is "Yáng".

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
As I keep on typing I speak the Henan province dialect but I insist we type in English here as that is the format of this forum - I don't think this is hard to understand.

I am no longer in the Himalayas, though my training there proved fruitful. I had a particularly interesting encounter with some bandits a few months ago, but perhaps it is a story for another time.

As for Grandmaster Yang - I am not certain he would want his true identity revealed. However, I can tell you that the pinyin is "Yáng".

Bandits huh.......alrighty then...here is an idiom a Chinese speaker should know the meaning of....吹牛

So we are at this again....secret teachers....and just so you know....and so we can put an end to this silliness...濟南話; jǐnánhuà dialect is not the dialect of Henan....one would think a life long resident of Henan would know that. And it is rather easy to get characters in the dialect of Henan or any dialect for that matter...on the page...example in the first line of my response in this post.....Also I am rather impressed with your internet connection from Henan, since most are rather limited these days in China.

DANG...where is @clfsean when you need him

Latest Discussions