WingTsun/Escrima or Combat Hapkido?

W

Wannabe_Wizard

Which of these 2 would you suggest would be better for self defense? I dont give a damn about politics or anything like that, but assuming I like both classes and instructors equally, which would you pick and why?

Im down to these 2 because of $$, location and schedules. So please no BJJ/MT or your teh sux replies.

Im going next week to check out both so I may have my answer by liking one and not the other when I see it first hand, just looking for input before hand.

Thanks,

OP
O

OC Kid

I like escrima, it is a complete art based on weapons. They start off with the sticks. If you can defend the sticks (sticks can be replaced with knife and about any striking weapon) then you can defend against any empty hand technique. plus I like the angles they use.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are both excellent for SD, but if I had to choose, I'd actually go with the Escrima and the Combat Hapkido. You'll get your weapons training with the Escrima and the rest will be covered by the Hapkido. Quite a few years ago, I attended a seminar with John Pellegrini and I was very impressed.

Let us know what you decide.

Mike

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wannabe_Wizard said:
Which of these 2 would you suggest would be better for self defense? I dont give a damn about politics or anything like that, but assuming I like both classes and instructors equally, which would you pick and why?

Im down to these 2 because of $$, location and schedules. So please no BJJ/MT or your teh sux replies.

Im going next week to check out both so I may have my answer by liking one and not the other when I see it first hand, just looking for input before hand.

Thanks,

You say "self-defense," right? I'd say go to the instructor who'll teach you the most that'll apply to real-world scenarios in the shortest amount of time. If you've observed their classes, which instructor is talking about how to apply the art to a real attack? Also, make sure that the instructor has the students doing things "live," or with resisting, unpredictable partners as opposed to only predictable sequences, patterns, or drills. Techniques on a bag or in the air, sequences, patterns, and drills are great learning tools, but by no means can they teach you self defense on their own; they need some element of live training to be effective.

I know I didn't pick a favorite art, but, really, it's not much about the art when your talking about self defense.

:asian:

OP
W

Wannabe_Wizard

Thanks for the replies so far.

Actually the WT/Escrima is one class, its EBMAS where they teach them both together.

Yes I did say self defense, I know its going to probably come down to which seems best once I visit a class and not the art itself, Im just looking for input on both systems actually on the good and bad.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've spoken to a few who have done Wing Chun, though never done it myself. I've heard that you will need to be there for a couple of years before you become reasonably effective. But It's a great art for strengthening your body and natural weapons. The art is fundamentally sound. But they won't teach you weapons for a long time.

OP
W

Wannabe_Wizard

Thanks for the input, I will let you know what I decide to go with Next week after I visit both.

KyleShort

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't agree with flatlander's comments regarding wing chun. I trained in the art for a few years and in my opinion it helped me develop true fighting technique MUCH faster than many of the other arts that I have tried (including Hapkido). In a typical wing chun class you will throw / recieve several thousand hand and foot/leg strikes...with that kind of volume you cannot help but learn fast. Also it is very direct and applicable in it's use of technique so there is nothing fancy or comlpex to learn. You are a better fighter after every class session...but then again becoming a better fighter does not necessarily mean better at self defense.

Depending upon the wing chun school, you willl probably start learning weapons within 1.5 to 2 years (6 foot staff and butterfly swords for the most part).

For me, personally, it is all about Escrima. However self defense is not about the art, it is about A)survival mindset and B)training scenarios. Go with which ever provides both A&B and you will be set. All three of those arts are fun, and I have experience in all of them. There is certainly good sefl defense embedded in all of them.

OP
W

Wannabe_Wizard

Thanks again for the input, tonight I go check out the first one. Like I have said before I know it will come down the the class and teacher I like better not the art, and unfortunatly the WC choice my not happen, The instructor informed me that they want $15 for the trial class...I can watch for free but to take part they want you to pay, he claims for all the flakes out there...I know its only $15 but its the principle to me. I can go take part in any other class in town for free, so Im thinking about not even going to look just because of this..Is that dumb?

Anyways I will check out the Combat Hapkido tonight and come back with how it went.

OP
R

relytjj

I would say Hapkido but that is because I really enjoy my Hapkido training and haven't done any WC or Escrima. But, as Tulisan pointed out, you really need to look at how each school trains if your interested in self defense.

Oh and I'd be wary of any place that charges for an introductory class.

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Although I dont have personal experience with EBMAS I would recommend the wing chun escrima combo. You will develop some very good coordination, footwork and striking skills very rapidly, and you will get real close quarter training. The close quarter striking in wing chun will genereally be more "advanced" than what you will come across in most other systems.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I would also choose the Wing Tsun/Escrima combo, mostly because I really like escrima. The combo offers a pretty interesting contrast in skills to work from the outside and how to own the center. I met one instructor from the organization that EBMAS derived from and he was pretty good.

As usual, my caveat is to go with the better instructor.

Lamont

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Charging for an intro class-

To a certain extent I think its reasonable considering that someone new can slow things down considerably ,and if the first class is credited towards your first month if you join up its not bad. Plus often people just watch a classs and have no idea how tough it can be.

On the other side, once I went to watch a class, for free, then after I am there( and the class started late) the senior assistant tells me " oh the teacher decided you have to participate you cant just watch and you have to pay". Which turned me off completely from the school, which sucks because they had some good students there, and a good teacher.

I say take every free intro class you can take at every school in town until you find the school/style you like best.

Latest Discussions