How do you pronounce Karate?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'll be first, a Taekwondo person, who has no credentials in Karate.

Karate, like Kramer says sounds like a quickie quiropractor movement...sorry
No disrespect...if that's how its supposed to be said.

I always thought when I tell people the differences between Karate and TKD, is....ka-RA-te

Anyway, that's my vote for somebody who should be at the end of this list.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In this part of the country, it's usually pronounced "kroddy".
I prefer to chicken out and say "Martial Arts". :)

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Randy Strausbaugh said:

That's funny. But its not cruddy though?! Gee, I worked so hard at getting it right....I thought....there you go, you can always be wrong. Back to Kroddy... unless other people step up to the plate???

D

David4516

It should be Kah-rah-tay...

While I am in TKD, I've spent the last year studying the japanese langauge. If you were to write it out in japanese characters, it would be 3 letters, one for ka, one for ra, and on for te.

I'm not sure if this board supports Japanese text, but lets find out:

からて

I also know that the kanji for "kara" is 空 and can mean either "empty" or "sky"...

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yep, Ka-ra-tey is correct. Disclaimer, I'm a TKD person, but I learned a little bit of Japanese. However, since most american pronounce this as Ka-rah-tee; I find it a bit pretentious to say Ka-ra-te. Just like Hermes, most of us here say Her-mees, and sometimes you'll get corrected. :)
Another good example, shitake mushrooms, I know it's pronounced as shi-tah-kay ; but how many of us actually say that? :) just my 2 cents

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I pronounce it differently depending on the situation. When I explain the meaning of the term I pronounce it like I were japanese (and by the way I was told Kara can also mean from the center or loins, as well as empty or open.);so, that means I'm in Kenpo Kroddy, but Kara-Tay means empty hand.
Sean :asian:

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Depends on how lazy I'm being.

Really lazy = ka-ra-tee
kinda lazy = ka-RA-tay
not lazy = Martial Arts - It's longer, but I prefer saying Martial arts even thought people don't recognise it as well as Karate.

Even though I'm TKD I still call it Karate class:ultracool ... is that bad?

D

David4516

Even though I'm TKD I still call it Karate class:ultracool ... is that bad?
Depending on who you talk to, no. Most people I know don't know the differance between Karate and TaeKwonDo anyway...

and by the way I was told Kara can also mean from the center or loins, as well as empty or open
kara can mean "from" as well yes... it's often found in sentaces with the word "made", "made" meaning "untill" or "to".

So if you wanted to say "I practiced karate from 6:00 to 8:00", it would look like this:

"watashi wa roku-ji kara hachi-ji made karate renshuu wo shimashita"

In Japanese text it would look like this:

"私は六時から八時まで空てれんしゅうをしました"

Or I think thats it... I still have some bugs to work out in my Japanese...

E

Elizium

All are correct. I say it as one word but don't use the - for it. The emphasis is on the te part in the end as in tee or as the Irish say tea as teh. It all is correct, local dialect is just a way of making it sound good.

As for kroddy, It sounds like a pseudo thing. My friends will like that when I tell them :)

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not really educated on the matter, but I thought there was no "R" sound in the Japanese language, hence the trouble many Japanese immigrants have pronouncing them. The thought karate was said ka-da-tA (capital vowels being the long sound).

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
or if they are Western but try to pronounce the word as a Japanese person would: Ka-da-tay because they are trying to be superrealistic.
This often happens when the Instructor is Japanese and they try to imitate the Instructor.
Wonder if any regions pronounce it as "Kraddy"?
Tae Kwon Do is the same way. Some American students will try to pronounce it exactly the way their Korean Instructor does, not realizing that English and Korean have different sounds.

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Randy Strausbaugh said:
LOL LOL:boing2:

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
I'm an American who mis-pronounces it, American style. Car-ah-tee.
Dan I'm with you, but I'm not sure :idunno: if you are mispronouncing it. Webster's has it that way for our language. I don't really think there is a right or wrong myself, but I was wondering because I was corrected on it. I was observing an Aikido test and afterward was speaking to one of the instructors who asked me if I studied anything. So as usual I said yes I study karate...with the long e sound at the end. And he very clearly, and what seemed a bit pretentiously, corrected me and said you mean karate (ka - rah - tey) And then proceeded to "over" pronounce the word for me several times in the course of the conversation that followed. It didn't seem appropriate for me to engage in a debate on it at the time so I let it go. I think if you are intending to speak Japanese than ka-rah-tey is most appropriate, but so is speaking English in America. My thoughts anyway.:asian:

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
David4516 said:
They do have the "R" sound in Japanese. It's "L" that they're missing...

Often when Japanese try to speak in english they will get "R" and "L" mixed up...

http://www.engrish.com/recent_detail.php?imagename=praystation.jpg&category=Signs/Posters&date=2004-05-21

Here is a great example. It should be "Play Station 2", but it was written as "Pray Station 2". To your average Japanese person the word "play" and the word "pray" probably sound the same...
Interesting find...thanks!:ultracool

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
I try to mispronounce the word as badly as possible. Koroddy tends to work for me. I also own a koroddy suit, and I play koroddy with a koroddy coach.

:boing2:

*laughs...too funny

My wife used to giggle after scoring a point in sparring. I would tell her
"There's no giggling in korrody!"...hehe...sorry about the tangent..*G

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ender said:
*laughs...too funny

My wife used to giggle after scoring a point in sparring. I would tell her
"There's no giggling in korrody!"...hehe...sorry about the tangent..*G
:boing2: Is that like the line..."THERE"S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! NO CRYING!"?

This just shows an appropriate use for the mispronunciation. :)

Latest Discussions