Wing Chun's basic stance

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Gucci. Liked the thing at the end. I've seen it done on Mind Body and Kick *** Moves, but never with a guy standing on a cushion, or whatever that was. Good stuff. :)

fightingfat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I thought the clip was really great to start off with- very impressive, but then...The throwing the bloke through what?? A peice of cardboard? Or was it an incredibly thin piece of ply wood or something? Looked to me like the sort of material that would break if you fell on it anyway, so what's the idea of that? The thing with the scales is awful, it's obvious that whoever is pushing will apply the force.

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings all!

Wouldn't you like to be thrown through a piece of wood? Looks like fun! LOL

Also, The thing of the scales is about using structure, like in a building, to redirect force.

Although I admit that sudden, changing applications of force (changing impulse rates, as they say in physics) would probably off balance him, having good structure at the time of a punch, jam or block would be highly desireable...

and this is a good way to find out what good structure is with measurable results (force addition to weigth).

To me it's just a drill. And makes for good demonstrations!

Enjoy!

Juan M. Mercado

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
The redirection of force is easily explained, I've just never seen it done while someone's standing on something moveable. That was what I thought was ok.

The "inch punch" was a bit girly, and looked a little bit like a compliant training partner, but a good demo nonetheless.

K

fightingfat

Green Belt
Reaction score
The thing on the scales was done by that guy- Grand Master Chu Shong Tin- at the first VTAA Conference.

The one inch punch should go in, not waste energy by throwing you back! That's a push, not a punch!

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
fightingfat said:
The thing on the scales was done by that guy- Grand Master Chu Shong Tin- at the first VTAA Conference.

The one inch punch should go in, not waste energy by throwing you back! That's a push, not a punch![/quote]

Sure looked like it to me mate. Still, ******** baffles brains, so it probably worked in a demo environment.

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Of course a punch will send someone back, even if it is internal, it will still have this effect with the added bonus of internal penetraion. The one inch punch has been miused, abused,and much misunderstood. It may well be a party trick used by many however its application is real, it is genuine, a true energy that comes in useful in the close quarters that Wing chun lives in where you have utilised your structure and leverage force to create maximum penetrative power from a minimum of distance and can be utilised from one inch, half an inch and quarter of an inch, its not the distance, its not the weapon, it is the energy; that is essential.

fightingfat

Green Belt
Reaction score
bcbernam777 said:
Of course a punch will send someone back, even if it is internal, it will still have this effect with the added bonus of internal penetraion. The one inch punch has been miused, abused,and much misunderstood. It may well be a party trick used by many however its application is real, it is genuine, a true energy that comes in useful in the close quarters that Wing chun lives in where you have utilised your structure and leverage force to create maximum penetrative power from a minimum of distance and can be utilised from one inch, half an inch and quarter of an inch, its not the distance, its not the weapon, it is the energy; that is essential.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one! The short distance punch is delivered in a way that it folds and drops an opponent where they stand, not send them flying.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
fightingfat said:
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one! The short distance punch is delivered in a way that it folds and drops an opponent where they stand, not send them flying.

Try bracing and rooting against a one inch punch and then try it without bracing or rooting and see the difference in the reaction.

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
fightingfat said:

Only if the punch has no rootedness behind it, if it does have rootedness then I have found through experiance that this is not the case.

fightingfat

Green Belt
Reaction score
What are you saying guys? If you brace, you make the other guy fly backwards? I'll have a play later and see if I can figure out what you mean!

If you follow this link you can watch some video of UKWCKFA breaking demo- generating power from short range.

For me, being able to deliver massive power at short range is an incredible skill that is about FRAME, but also speed.

The way we punch from short range, you fold whether you're rooted or not rooted. The impact just works that way. You can practice this on a bag, but it is standard WC technique in that the fist flicks with geng in the last millisecond of the strike.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
fightingfat said:
What are you saying guys? If you brace, you make the other guy fly backwards? I'll have a play later and see if I can figure out what you mean!

If you follow this link you can watch some video of UKWCKFA breaking demo- generating power from short range.

For me, being able to deliver massive power at short range is an incredible skill that is about FRAME, but also speed.

The way we punch from short range, you fold whether you're rooted or not rooted. The impact just works that way. You can practice this on a bag, but it is standard WC technique in that the fist flicks with geng in the last millisecond of the strike.

Personally i was talking about getting the person being punched bracing and not bracing for a different response to the attack.

monji112000

Green Belt
Reaction score
I thought it was pretty good example of solid horse. Sure its not the best demo but its good. Sure they could have had a better object to knock him through. The "1 inch" punch he used was correct. People focus on different aspects of the basic punch. For example some people just focus on the Arm and its mechanics. Others turn thier horse also which is what he did. Other turn, push off the ground , turn the whole body , shoulder mechanics, arm ect... Its just a idea of hitting from a short distance. The punch most people talk about is the ONE BL used. That is the last example I gave, its also called the Bow and Arrow punch in WC. In the BA punch you close the distance and step but that the only difference between BL 1 inch punch and the BA punch in WC.

I have heard of other Ip man Disciples showing the power of their horse by standing on one leg and letting someone push as hard as they can. Its real, but I can't say if it is in this clip. Its impossible to tell , unless you are the person pushing.

They have Good WC horses.
:asian:

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
monji112000 said:
I thought it was pretty good example of solid horse. Sure its not the best demo but its good. Sure they could have had a better object to knock him through. The "1 inch" punch he used was correct. People focus on different aspects of the basic punch. For example some people just focus on the Arm and its mechanics. Others turn thier horse also which is what he did. Other turn, push off the ground , turn the whole body , shoulder mechanics, arm ect... Its just a idea of hitting from a short distance. The punch most people talk about is the ONE BL used. That is the last example I gave, its also called the Bow and Arrow punch in WC. In the BA punch you close the distance and step but that the only difference between BL 1 inch punch and the BA punch in WC.

I have heard of other Ip man Disciples showing the power of their horse by standing on one leg and letting someone push as hard as they can. Its real, but I can't say if it is in this clip. Its impossible to tell , unless you are the person pushing.

They have Good WC horses.
:asian:

I'm certainly not knocking the inch punch, or indeed even this persons inch punch, it merely seemed that the recipient over dramatised it, arms like Mr Tickle all over the place. As a demo though, yep, I thought it was ok. I guess part of the problem with WC is that it's not the flashiest art, there's no "My Northern Monkey Fist will defeat your Southern Aadvark WHHAAAAAA!!!" followed by some flailing of arms. Not having a pop at the more traditional animal styles, but I hope you get my point.

monji112000

Green Belt
Reaction score
Its a demo, you can't judge anything by demos. If they got someone from the crowd then it would be something else.

barriecusvein

Green Belt
Reaction score
monji112000 said:

is there a video of this? im not saying your lying or making stuff up, but this just seems too far-fetched.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
barriecusvein said:
is there a video of this? im not saying your lying or making stuff up, but this just seems too far-fetched.

Its not uncommon, if you are refering to the single leg thing that is.