wing chun

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And i dont appreciate opinions that are not asked for. As you did in your first post to me.

If the string is to tight it will break. If it is to lax the music will not play. You must find a place between the middle way.
Good luck to you sir, I suspect your tenure will be brief.

Time for some popcorn. :)

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would not suggest using that. I did use a video to help learn and still use it on occasion just so I don't feel like I am doing it alone. The difference is the video I use is by the person GM William Cheung chose to serve as the North American Liaison for the World Wing Chun Kung Fu Association. This is what my Sifu teaches but the video does a decent enough break down for what I think your purposes are. In a different thread you said you were considering it, not so much as to learn the proper techniques (the Sil Lum Tao is basically the foundation of all WC techniques) for WC fighting but as meditation. I can't speak to the app in question but this DVD is decent for that purpose. SIL LUM TAO REVEALED

If you wanted to actually build that foundation to move onto WC fighting, I would side with Flying Crane. In the beginning you will have issues if an instructor isn't there to catch you because their are seemingly little things in the structure of the Mah, proper placement of the arms, etc.

OP
M

Mr.J

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would not suggest using that. I did use a video to help learn and still use it on occasion just so I don't feel like I am doing it alone. The difference is the video I use is by the person GM William Cheung chose to serve as the North American Liaison for the World Wing Chun Kung Fu Association. This is what my Sifu teaches but the video does a decent enough break down for what I think your purposes are. In a different thread you said you were considering it, not so much as to learn the proper techniques (the Sil Lum Tao is basically the foundation of all WC techniques) for WC fighting but as meditation. I can't speak to the app in question but this DVD is decent for that purpose. SIL LUM TAO REVEALED

If you wanted to actually build that foundation to move onto WC fighting, I would side with Flying Crane. In the beginning you will have issues if an instructor isn't there to catch you because their are seemingly little things in the structure of the Mah, proper placement of the arms, etc.
I agree with crane a teacher would make things easier but he was rude. Also im not useing just the one app im useing all of the internet. And i have a threory about wing chun. as for hand placement i keep everything relative to the center line never straighten an arm unless its a strike and keep my elbows one fist length away from center with the acception of bong sau. Any help you can give about and placement relative to body part is welcome but mostly its for meditation oneday i might find a teacher and on that day ill hand him a stick and tell him/her to use as he/she sees fit to correct my misalignments.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with crane a teacher would make things easier but he was rude. Also im not useing just the one app im useing all of the internet. And i have a threory about wing chun. as for hand placement i keep everything relative to the center line never straighten an arm unless its a strike and keep my elbows one fist length away from center with the acception of bong sau. Any help you can give about and placement relative to body part is welcome but mostly its for meditation oneday i might find a teacher and on that day ill hand him a stick and tell him/her to use as he/she sees fit to correct my misalignments.

And if its just for meditation cool BUT if you do intend to learn WC later you will essentially have to relearn the form based on what you just explained because you can't just be focusing on the center line though. You need to be focusing on the elbow when you move your tan sau forward, not the hand or the shoulder. You need to have your hand for the form in particular relationship to your mouth/nose, otherwise the angle of the elbow is incorrect for a tan. One fist away from the center would be wrong for tan sau in the fuk section also.

It's not earth shattering to relearn it. My Sifu originally studied WC under one school of thought, moved to the William Cheung School and basically had to relearn a lot of it. It can be done, just be prepared for it if you take that step.

OP
M

Mr.J

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
And if its just for meditation cool BUT if you do intend to learn WC later you will essentially have to relearn the form based on what you just explained because you can't just be focusing on the center line though. You need to be focusing on the elbow when you move your tan sau forward, not the hand or the shoulder. You need to have your hand for the form in particular relationship to your mouth/nose, otherwise the angle of the elbow is incorrect for a tan. One fist away from the center would be wrong for tan sau in the fuk section also.

It's not earth shattering to relearn it. My Sifu originally studied WC under one school of thought, moved to the William Cheung School and basically had to relearn a lot of it. It can be done, just be prepared for it if you take that step.
I am but like i said im useing all the information at my desposal on the internet. The hard part is seperating the cream from the curd.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am but like i said im useing all the information at my desposal on the internet. The hard part is seperating the cream from the curd.

The problem is these videos don't tell much. the details about the angles of the elbows, pelvis (yes there is a particular pelvic tilt)etc are lacking. Add to that the issue that different schools of thought have the opening of the form and feet placement different. Not better or worse just different.

In short on the internet you see what are, for lack of a better term "ads" that leave out important bits. They are there to encourage attending a school that follows a particular school of thought and WC has a zillion different schools of thought. If you don't account for this...pick one specific video line... you will be a confused mess. So if you insist on free internet videos (which is bad for martial arts, trust me, I have had to fight irl in green and blue since 1991) pick one and stick with it. At least then you will have some consistency.

OP
M

Mr.J

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The problem is these videos don't tell much. the details about the angles of the elbows, pelvis (yes there is a particular pelvic tilt)etc are lacking. Add to that the issue that different schools of thought have the opening of the form and feet placement different. Not better or worse just different.

In short on the internet you see what are, for lack of a better term "ads" that leave out important bits. They are there to encourage attending a school that follows a particular school of thought and WC has a zillion different schools of thought. If you don't account for this...pick one specific video line... you will be a confused mess. So if you insist on free internet videos (which is bad for martial arts, trust me, I have had to fight irl in green and blue since 1991) pick one and stick with it. At least then you will have some consistency.

And i have my own thoughts of wing chun. As for the schools of thought on wing chun it is mostly an ancient pissing match of whos wing chun can beat whos based on the body structure of the person who set up that school of thought. Which detracts from its purpose.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
And i have my own thoughts of wing chun. As for the schools of thought on wing chun it is mostly an ancient pissing match of whos wing chun can beat whos based on the body structure of the person who set up that school of thought. Which detracts from its purpose.

But the thing is this you want to seperate the good from the bad but because none of the videos really get into the nuance of the form AND different videos will do things differently due to Lineage differences, there is no real way to tell the good from the bad.

Some videos that look bad, (the classic guy in his basement) can actually be pretty good, some of the videos with decent production values and look to be filmed in a school can actually be pretty bad. There really is no way to tell unless you have knowledge and experience before you click "play".

OP
M

Mr.J

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
But the thing is this you want to seperate the good from the bad but because none of the videos really get into the nuance of the form AND different videos will do things differently due to Lineage differences, there is no real way to tell the good from the bad.

Some videos that look bad, (the classic guy in his basement) can actually be pretty good, some of the videos with decent production values and look to be filmed in a school can actually be pretty bad. There really is no way to tell unless you have knowledge and experience before you click "play".
I am aware. Do you meditate?

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
lol, op has got to be one if the biggest tools I've seen on martial arts forums yet. Flying crane was more than respectful and nice, the op just got upset because he heard an opposing opinion. My thoughts on wing chun aside he's not going to be any good teaching himself. I've met more than a few self taught guys, they all vastly overestimate their ability. Fighting ability is not a coy diy skill and to assume it is insults those who have trained hard and long hours legitimately. Op feel free to post some training videos if you're so confident. I'm confident you're dillusional and you've taken offense at legitimate friendly true advice.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am aware. Do you meditate?

Yes, I have done Zen Meditation for about 2 decades now and have started to try Tai Chi Chuan, as a meditative and health regime, not as a true martial art.

OP
M

Mr.J

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
lol, op has got to be one if the biggest tools I've seen on martial arts forums yet. Flying crane was more than respectful and nice, the op just got upset because he heard an opposing opinion. My thoughts on wing chun aside he's not going to be any good teaching himself. I've met more than a few self taught guys, they all vastly overestimate their ability. Fighting ability is not a coy diy skill and to assume it is insults those who have trained hard and long hours legitimately. Op feel free to post some training videos if you're so confident. I'm confident you're dillusional and you've taken offense at legitimate friendly true advice.

Martial training is not my primary goal. And as for my skill level. Its simple enough to survive a drunk love at a bar and far less then those who dedicate there life to it. And im not concerned with those trained Mainly cause those who dedicate there life to i dont have to worry about because 8 out ten times they also have self control.

Yes, I have done Zen Meditation for about 2 decades now and have started to try Tai Chi Chuan, as a meditative and health regime, not as a true martial art.

Good. i started teaching myself meditation at the age of seven. Funny thing i never knew thats what i was doing when i was a child. Thats why i need a form based meditation. Ive already convinced the monkey holding the stick to sit still.

OP
M

Mr.J

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

And as for you thought that i took offense were none was.

Its not what one say thats important its how ones words are percived that is.

Sadly i often fall short of curveing the perception of my words.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would be more interested in what you have to offer dude. Please post a video of your superior skills, and we can do some gentle critique on your abilities. That is... if you have the balls. You are the one being disrespectful. You sound like a lovely 12 year old.

OP
M

Mr.J

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would be more interested in what you have to offer dude. Please post a video of your superior skills, and we can do some gentle critique on your abilities. That is... if you have the balls. You are the one being disrespectful. You sound like a lovely 12 year old.

Thanks for this. It made me smile.

OP
M

Mr.J

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

If you have a moment good or bad run through siu lim tau?

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
And as for you thought that i took offense were none was.

Its not what one say thats important its how ones words are percived that is.

Sadly i often fall short of curveing the perception of my words.
Well call it what you want but you were less than cordial when replying to sound advice.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Why would I post a video in this thread? I don't do or care about wing chun. I'm not even talking to you but you're welcome to comment. I chimed in because the op seems a little smug about himself and his ability to self teach a martial art. I'm of the opinion that martial arts can be self taught. To think otherwise is imo insulting to people who have invested long hours in proper training. I've met guys who said they know "some" if my art but haven't ever trained it under an instructor, and they know nothing of the art. it's insulting. The op did clear things up though, he's not interested in fighting or doing things properly so it doesn't matter. He's treating it like a dance, that's fine if it makes him happy.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why would I post a video in this thread? I don't do or care about wing chun. I'm not even talking to you but you're welcome to comment. I chimed in because the op seems a little smug about himself and his ability to self teach a martial art. I'm of the opinion that martial arts can be self taught. To think otherwise is imo insulting to people who have invested long hours in proper training. I've met guys who said they know "some" if my art but haven't ever trained it under an instructor, and they know nothing of the art. it's insulting. The op did clear things up though, he's not interested in fighting or doing things properly so it doesn't matter. He's treating it like a dance, that's fine if it makes him happy.
Post a video of your skills or shut the fuk up. You might not be talking to me, but I'm talking to you.

Latest Discussions