wing chun

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why would I post a video in this thread? I don't do or care about wing chun. I'm not even talking to you but you're welcome to comment. I chimed in because the op seems a little smug about himself and his ability to self teach a martial art. I'm of the opinion that martial arts can be self taught. To think otherwise is imo insulting to people who have invested long hours in proper training. I've met guys who said they know "some" if my art but haven't ever trained it under an instructor, and they know nothing of the art. it's insulting. The op did clear things up though, he's not interested in fighting or doing things properly so it doesn't matter. He's treating it like a dance, that's fine if it makes him happy.
Maybe some but WC really isn't one of them. Here is the issue. Many Martial arts involve gross motor function, WC however has a lot of fine motor function. I have yet to see a video online that say, talks about the angle of a tan and the various ways to apply it. This applies to more than a few things actually. Fine motor skills aren't things easily picked up via videos unless the videos are incredibly lengthy and even then, without someone there to correct the minor issues, you will have issues. Example, in WC simple punching. When you punch you need to be as relaxed as possible (hard for me, my nickname in the Army was "stress monster" for a reason.) Just the other night we were doing a drill in class. The drill is basically one student attacking with punches either Sun fist or Buffalo punches (because in real life people will round house ya), the other student simply defends. No you don't fight this way just a drill. That said there was my Sifu...AGAIN noticing and correcting me that, especially when doing chain punches as the aggressor, my shoulders were in a tensed position I didn't even notice myself.

Now is that kinda anal retentive? Maybe, or maybe it's just that a Martial art and it's proper execution, just like painting, goes beyond simply watching someone do it. To learn the techniques that grow into a skill it's about the minutia you can't get from simply watching videos. I watch videos too, but those videos are to augment the skill set I already possess due to proper training. Would you want the Army, or your Police Department to be trained via video with no hands on instruction? Same concept.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

OP
M

Mr.J

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sent f[/QUOTE]
Well call it what you want but you were less than cordial when replying to sound advice.

I was far more cordial then i had to be. And dont compare meditation to a dance. Its a short sighted understanding of the process. Also you might want to not type angry you miss spell your words and send a messgae meaning the opposite of your intent.

OP
M

Mr.J

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Now is that kinda anal retentive? Maybe, or maybe it's just that a Martial art and it's proper execution, just like painting, goes beyond simply watching someone do it. To learn the techniques that grow into a skill it's about the minutia you can't get from simply watching videos. I watch videos too, but those videos are to augment the skill set I already possess due to proper training. Would you want the Army, or your Police Department to be trained via video with no hands on instruction? Same concept.

wing chun was never meant to be a schooled form. Not completely least that is one of my threorys. It was meant to so short fast effective methodology of how the body can react to threats. Why else was it taught to a woman who's only need for it was to defend herself from a bandit intent on takeing what he wanted by force?

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
wing chun was never meant to be a schooled form. Not completely least that is one of my threorys. It was meant to so short fast effective methodology of how the body can react to threats. Why else was it taught to a woman who's only need for it was to defend herself from a bandit intent on takeing what he wanted by force?

I think there are a few people on here who would disagree with you on that, so tread lightly. I don't know enough how Wing Chun history to comment on that statement however.

OP
M

Mr.J

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think there are a few people on here who would disagree with you on that, so tread lightly. I don't know enough how Wing Chun history to comment on that statement however.

Your concern is appreciated. As for those who would disagree... As my grandfather would say everyone has the right to be wrong even them. As i said its only a theory only time will tell.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was meant to be an art learned faster than others yes and that through constant practice on your own you can maintain it. The problem is it is based on a very specific body structure angles of the elbows etc. that you program via the forms. Each form leads to the next.

3 open hand forms> mook jong forms > buttery fly swords> 6.5 point pole. Where Chi Sau comes in is up to the teacher.

I have yet to find a video that describes the minutia of SLT, or any of the forms to the point that you can actually do the self teaching.

Look at it like a house. The form, especially SLT, is the foundation. You can be the best carpenter in the world but if you can pack the ground properly or pour a concrete pad right, the wooden house you build will be structurally unsound and fall apart.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Post a video of your skills or shut the fuk up. You might not be talking to me, but I'm talking to you.
Really? You're cursing at me? What's your problem? Sorry but I'm not posting anything, it's lose-lose to satisfy the demands of a hostile request like yours. If you weren't being so abrasive I might actually post something but I don't see the point. I don't know why you're so offended, I haven't addressed you or said anything to you. I didn't start this thread, I'm not the one who's ignoring advice given to me.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score

I was far more cordial then i had to be. And dont compare meditation to a dance. Its a short sighted understanding of the process. Also you might want to not type angry you miss spell your words and send a messgae meaning the opposite of your intent.[/QUOTE]
You were still obviously perturbed. If you're gonna call out people for spelling errors you'd best check your posts first last time I checked "messgae" isn't a word.

OP
M

Mr.J

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was far more cordial then i had to be. And dont compare meditation to a dance. Its a short sighted understanding of the process. Also you might want to not type angry you miss spell your words and send a messgae meaning the opposite of your intent.
You were still obviously perturbed. If you're gonna call out people for spelling errors you'd best check your posts first last time I checked "messgae" isn't a word.[/QUOTE]

You can stop talking now your just spreading ignorance.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
You were still obviously perturbed. If you're gonna call out people for spelling errors you'd best check your posts first last time I checked "messgae" isn't a word.

You can stop talking now your just spreading ignorance.[/QUOTE]
Specifics?

OP
M

Mr.J

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It was meant to be an art learned faster than others yes and that through constant practice on your own you can maintain it. The problem is it is based on a very specific body structure angles of the elbows etc. that you program via the forms. Each form leads to the next.

3 open hand forms> mook jong forms > buttery fly swords> 6.5 point pole. Where Chi Sau comes in is up to the teacher.

I have yet to find a video that describes the minutia of SLT, or any of the forms to the point that you can actually do the self teaching.

Look at it like a house. The form, especially SLT, is the foundation. You can be the best carpenter in the world but if you can pack the ground properly or pour a concrete pad right, the wooden house you build will be structurally unsound and fall apart.

First of all mook jong and 6.5 have nothing to do with the original form they were added later when wing chun was introduced to the junk boat opera. As for a single video haveing all the information your right but all the videos combined thats a different story.

OP
M

Mr.J

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Are we not going to have an adult discussion? There's no need to act like a child. If you have a problem address it and let's discuss it.[/QUOTE]

I dont waste my time on a closed ignorant mind. Shhhhh.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Are we not going to have an adult discussion? There's no need to act like a child. If you have a problem address it and let's discuss it.

I dont waste my time on a closed ignorant mind. Shhhhh.[/QUOTE]
Who said my mind is closed? Is name calling how you have a productive discussion? Why don't you just "dislike" more of my posts? I'm open to discussion my mind is not closed. For a guy that started the thread with a bunch of philosophical tag lines at the end of every post your consciousness seems to be slipping to a lower level. I'm willing to discuss whatever your misgivings are. But first you'd have to be an adult and adress them. Name calling won't do any good, we can't make any progress with that.

OP
M

Mr.J

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I dont waste my time on a closed ignorant mind. Shhhhh.
Who said my mind is closed? Is name calling how you have a productive discussion? Why don't you just "dislike" more of my posts? I'm open to discussion my mind is not closed. For a guy that started the thread with a bunch of philosophical tag lines at the end of every post your consciousness seems to be slipping to a lower level. I'm willing to discuss whatever your misgivings are. But first you'd have to be an adult and adress them. Name calling won't do any good, we can't make any progress with that.[/QUOTE]
shhhhhhhhhh.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Who said my mind is closed? Is name calling how you have a productive discussion? Why don't you just "dislike" more of my posts? I'm open to discussion my mind is not closed. For a guy that started the thread with a bunch of philosophical tag lines at the end of every post your consciousness seems to be slipping to a lower level. I'm willing to discuss whatever your misgivings are. But first you'd have to be an adult and adress them. Name calling won't do any good, we can't make any progress with that.
shhhhhhhhhh.[/QUOTE]
Again, you're not giving anything constructive. What is your problem?

Latest Discussions