Wing Chun styles you'd like to learn

Old Judoka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This is sort of off topic. But, I have my daughters learning Judo and work with them at home some myself. I'm seeking a striking art for them and am considering wing chun for them. I'm intrigued that it was invented by a woman and seems like it might be well suited for my daughters. The only school within two hours of me is a school that follows Leung Ting's style. He seems to get a bad rap on martial talk, but the school and instructor seem to be well recommended. That school is an hour from me. I'm south of Chicago and I'm sure there are good instructors up there. I'd really rather not make the 2 1/2 hour trip. Any thoughts among you Chunners?

Last edited:

Old Judoka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Joy, I believe what you say to be true. But I was not commenting on the quality of his instruction and certainly do not intend to disparage Master Fong's teaching. My point is simply that when you change branches, typically you have to re-learn even fairly basic material.

In the case of switching from the Augustine Fong branch to the Leung Ting branch, I had to completely re-learn my stance weighting and turning. This was not too difficult for me since I was in my early 20s, still very inexperienced in WC, and I had not "hard wired" the Fong method into my muscle memory. It was, however, much more difficult for my former instructor to change, since regardless of his teaching qualifications, he had spent considerably more time training those movements.

I recall being several days into one of our training sessions when all the inexperienced students (including myself) had adapted to the LT method, but our former instructor was lagging behind ...and getting a lot of criticism from Leung Sifu for being unable to quickly unlearn his previous habits!

Now, at age 60, I have spent considerable time training the LT stances, steps, and so on. At this point it would be very hard for me to start over in another branch where my basics where considered "wrong".

BTW Joy, you know me well enough to know that I don't view the differences between our branches in terms of "right and wrong"! However in my experience many, perhaps even most WC people do view things that way. It's one of the reasons I spend more time on this forum where we seem to attract a higher percentage of open minded individuals. :)

Hi Geezer,

I posted earlier about LT branch of WT. I noticed your post and am glad I can get your views on LTWT and maybe some advice. The school I referred to is an hour, 15 from me. The sifu and school seem well regarded. One of my other options is a JKD (Vunak/Inosanto lineage) school. While Bruce Lee's own JKD had WC as the foundation art, I think the V/I branch is more based on KALI hand techniques. Anyway I prefer the WC (WT in your case), because there are a lot more WC schools if they want to get fully into WC. Is it true that WT is pretty much nearly as popular as Ip Man WC? Any thoughts, suggestions you can offer will be great. Thanks.

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi Geezer,
You obviously are happy with the LT branch and I want to be sure that someone exposed to the style can help me make a good choice. My other option is a JKD (Vunak/Inosanto system) that is about 40 minutes away. I prefer the wing chun, partly because the V/I branch of JKD seems to have more KALI as a base art than wing chun. The other reason is that I'm convinced that if well groomed in WC the girls can more avoid having to use brute force against a larger assailant. I could discuss this all day, but I think you probably get my concerns and such. Any thoughts?

Actually, I was taught by LT, but have not been a member of his Association for many years. My advice to you is visit the school, check out the instructor and his methods, and be sure that it's a good fit for you or your daughters. That's way more important than style or lineage to me.

BTW, as "an old judoka" why wouldn't you consider exposing your daughters to Judo, ju-jutsu, BJJ or something of that nature? Just curious.

Old Judoka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am. Our local college has a club, and I'm currently working out the rust in my technique and my joints. I'm bringing my daughters with me, so they can learn and we can work together some at home. I'm also looking for a striking system to get them involved in as well. Like I've stated in a couple of other posts on the forum, my primary goal is to get them to where if they are attacked by someone they can get that person on the ground by any means possible and run like hell. If they unfortunately have to do ground work, I'm hoping they will have enough going on to "wiggle" their way out and get the hell away. I already know they can pretty much take hits, because they are both cheerleaders and get kicked fairly regularly when performing in their stunt groups. Who knew that cheerleading was actually a martial art, LOL. As far as Lueng Ting branch, if I can find them a good instructor, I'm pretty impressed by the system. I meant no disrespect toward LT at all in any comment I have made. I've seen a few people on martial talk give him a bad rap. I'm not sure why, because I think ALL martial arts have good contributions to make. From one Geezer to another, I hope you have a great day. Also, I don't consider consider myself an "old Judoka" in the sense that I'm some venerable master or something. I mean it in the sense that I'm a d@~n old guy who used to do some judo.

Last edited:

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is sort of off topic. But, I have my daughters learning Judo and work with them at home some myself. I'm seeking a striking art for them and am considering wing chun for them. I'm intrigued that it was invented by a woman and seems like it might be well suited for my daughters. The only school within two hours of me is a school that follows Leung Ting's style. He seems to get a bad rap on martial talk, but the school and instructor seem to be well recommended. That school is an hour from me. I'm south of Chicago and I'm sure there are good instructors up there. I'd really rather not make the 2 1/2 hour trip. Any thoughts among you Chunners?

For girls go for bjj. It is about the only way they will have a reasonable chance against an average man in a life or death situation. I would avoid wing chun because average quality is so very low. If they really want to train striking then wait until they are old enough and enrol them in boxing, muay thai or mma classes. Chances are they will hate it and give up. Bjj is best bet, with judo a good combination.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree in regards to BJJ being a good bet for any girl. After all it might also provide information that will render most cases of assault against woman dangerous to the perpetrator (sp?). In regards to WC it is in my view not a system you start out with, first you learn boxing/muay thai, karate or other long range simple (not meant as way of mastering or techniques but rather in terms of understanding purpose of exercises) martial arts.

Studying WC without having understanding of long range fighting would probably still work but how do you get close to an opponent if you dont know how to move your feet and get past his fists?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Studying WC without having understanding of long range fighting would probably still work but how do you get close to an opponent if you dont know how to move your feet and get past his fists?

If you are learning for self defense, then the aggressor will often close the gap for you!

Old Judoka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you are learning for self defense, then the aggressor will often close the gap for you!

Point well made, Geezer! I think that probably an aggressor intent on hurting a woman may get right in her face try to intimidate as well as physically harm her. Wing Tsun would be perfect in this situation. Some strikes, ouchi-gari to put him on the ground, she's running away. This is what I've been talking about

Last edited: