Wing Chun at 103

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I should live that long and be in good health to say nothing of doing what he is doing. Simply amazing

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
^^^LoL^^^ :)

in muay thai we'd prolly be looking to use the walker as a weapon with sharpened spikes at the bottom of the legs and have the walker made out of titanium -- minimal effort maximum damage ;)

i'll be lucky if i get to see 40 let alone 103 at this rate ;)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No chance I'll get to 103, but Grandmaster Chu Chong, wow!! On some level, it is not that surprising, but yeah respect....

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
^^^LoL^^^ :)

in muay thai we'd prolly be looking to use the walker as a weapon with sharpened spikes at the bottom of the legs and have the walker made out of titanium -- minimal effort maximum damage ;)

i'll be lucky if i get to see 40 let alone 103 at this rate ;)

I once thought I would be lucky if I made it past 30...... I can't tell you how surprised I was when I hit 31, literally I was surprised and spent much of that night walking around thinking..."now what"..... over 20 years later and I'm still going.

I recommend a contingency plan just in case ;)

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What I am finding interesting about this is that I have seen Bagua and Xingyi people in their 90s and some over 100 and some Wing Chun people in their 90s and now 100 but I have not see that many Taijiquan people that are as old and/or as active....just another thing that is making me go :hmm:

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
What I am finding interesting about this is that I have seen Bagua and Xingyi people in their 90s and some over 100 and some Wing Chun people in their 90s and now 100 but I have not see that many Taijiquan people that are as old and/or as active....just another thing that is making me go :hmm:

Paraphrasing John Wang, "If you train for combat you will have your health, if you train for health only you may not have anything."

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Paraphrasing John Wang, "If you train for combat you will have your health, if you train for health only you may not have anything."

and who was john wang quoting. That was said long before john wang, been said many times by many people and the taiji guys I am talking about did train to fight

Oh and takea look at my signature, been there for along time, from Di Guoyong
That is just one of many variations on that saying.

Last edited:

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
and who was john wang quoting. That was said long before john wang, been said many times by many people and the taiji guys I am talking about did train to fight

Oh and takea look at my signature, been there for along time, from Di Guoyong
That is just one of many variations on that saying.

I think you may have missed... oh nevermind.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I think you may have missed... oh nevermind.

You may be right, I may have missed the point

So then What did I miss?

I agree with the statement, although John Wang is not the originator of that statement. The Taiji people I was referring to were martial artists and fighters. But in another thread I remembered something my Taiji sifu had to say on the topic. Many of the Taiji guys from the past depended completely on Taiji for their health and did not go to doctors much of at all. That could be a reason they seem to not have lived as long, as a group, as compared to some other CMA styles.

Or I suppose I could have missed the point because you were simply referring to master Chu Chong at 103, then I most certainly did miss the point.

But then I posted this because I was awfully impressed with master Chu Chong at 103 and the other became an aside of my thinking (and typing) out loud.

Watching master Chu Chong made me wonder if I should not just chuck it all and go back to Wing Chun too. :asian:

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not to speak for Eric, but his point as I saw it was simply that he was agreeing with you and paraphrasing John to support that fact. His quote from John was meant for the broader reading base, not necessarily just for you. He was just backing up what you were saying. Nothing wrong with that, and no negativity meant towards you. At least that's the way it came across to me.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What a great vid. Wow.