Windows XP crash

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey! Im running windows XP home edition and everytime I try to open control panels it crashes. Any sugestions?

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Hey! Im running windows XP home edition and everytime I try to open control panels it crashes. Any sugestions?
if you installed any programs recently go into system restore and pick the most recent point before the program was installed.
boot in safe mode run any virus scan and spyware scans you have.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sapper6 said:
system restore back to a time before your problem occured. see if that helps.
Ah yes, system restore. Good for bringing back viruses and worms you thought you got rid of ;)

Run the scans, if your system has been compromised back up your files, and reinstall from scratch. Then take steps to decrease the chances of it happening again.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well..ran the scans but it still refuses to open the control panel window. Looks like a system restore is in the future.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have you installed anything lately that added a control panel? Look for WildTangent in your program directory. I've had a time with that before.

Download StartUp Control Panel form Mike Lin. I use it at work quite a bit. That link is for the standalone version. You can manage all startup apps and perhaps diagnose your issue here with it.

Good Luck

egg

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks Ill try that. For now though I just went to microsofts website and found all the Run commands to access the individual control panels. Thats working so far.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
I just went to microsofts website and found all the Run commands to access the individual control panels. Thats working so far.
Cool, but you know that's just a workaround. Not being able to open your CP directory is a bad thing and needs fixed.

egg

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Web Root Spy Sweeper did the trick.....

Latest Discussions