Who should control the net?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seems most of the world says it should be international, but the US says it's not sharing.

Personally I'm of the opinion that the internet is international, and should not be controlled by any single country, especially not without as little as international oversight.

Anyways, The EU seems to be leading the fight, Slightly different spins on the same story:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/30/eu_deal_wsis/

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/tech/D8CTVNH00.htm?campaign_id=apn_tech_down&chan=tc

C

CrankyDragon

I think the United States government should monitor, regulate and control the Internet, additionally they should tax it as a main stream communications network.

NOT!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw that. I don't know what to say. It's nice to have it under our control...but it's not really fair. Yet, the thought of an Internet U.N. managing it doesn't thrill me either!

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Nobody can control the net...

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like what they are after right now isn't content control, but naming control.

Basically there is a feeling that ICANN shouldn't have control over who gets top level domains and who doesn't. As well as how IP addresses, which are limited in number, get divided.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sapper6 said:
internet users should control it. but then again, what do you mean regarding "control"?
In this case it is aimed at icann's job, which is controlling ip addresses and Domain name stuff.

For example, Iraq does not have control over the .iq Top level domain, the US does.

They also control who can use which ip addresses, and without an ip address you're not on the internet.

The internet, as large and wide spread as it is, still has a bit of a pyramid structure. At the top are servers which all the others rely on. The top of the pyramid is controlled by the US, and US based entities.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe the Us should not control the net it should be done by a panel of experts from all over the world. Just my two cent wroth.
Terry

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah yes, the good old days of news.admin.net-abuse.misc and the Usenet Volunteer Vote-Takers!

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I should controll the net.

I know whats best for all of you.

:D

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
US Keeps Control of the Internet
Posted by CmdrTaco on Wednesday November 16, @08:24AM
from the well-thank-good-thats-all-settled-once-and-for-all dept.
Adam Schumacher writes "As a result of a a deal reached late Tuesday, the US and ICANN will maintain control over the Internet's core systems. A new body will be created to provide international oversight, which will, of course, have no binding authority." Read More...

Good.

G

Gary Crawford

I don't think anyone should control the net. It's the best sorce of free speech in the world. In fact in many parts of the world,it's the only sorce. But If someone has to,I vote for Technopunk.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd suggest Kaith, but he's already spending 25 hours/day online as it is.

The thing is, someone has to manage the domain names. Would should do it--the U.N.? This system isn't broke. It sounds fair to internationalize it, but I don't see how yet.

Of course, if we give it to the Saudis, maybe they'll chop the hands off of spammers...

Latest Discussions