William Cheung

mystic warrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just wondering what your thoughts on this mans association are. Because we have a guy here in MI.
What is one of his guys.
thanks

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, William is the most mysterious Wing chun practitionar I ever knew. He mention alot about himself, as if he is an equal to someone like Bruce Lee or Sifu Wong Shun-Leung. My real question is, Why he used to demean other systems of Wing Chun and says that his lineage is the best?, especially demeaning the Leung Ting's and Kernspecht lineage, in which he was proved wrong by the national incident that happened to him, I won't mention about it.

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
bcbernam777 said:
Oh you mean with Boztepe?? ;)

Yes, lets just forget about it. We Wing Chun trainers must always be helping each other isn't it?.

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
yipman_sifu said:
Yes, lets just forget about it. We Wing Chun trainers must always be helping each other isn't it?.

Thats the theory.

Look William Cheung is a proud man with a lot of ego, who was bested at one point in his life by a young pup the thing about all f this is that William Chueng makes claims that he really cant substaniate on many levels, is his Wing Chun any good??? Who knows, I have never touched hands with one of his students so I would not know. What I do know is that he is at odds with everyone else in the Wing Chun Community, however they still, including my Sifu who learnt with William Chueng under Yip Man, has said that his Wing Chun is very good, so if my Sifu says it, then I take it as true, (seeing as how he was there and I wasnt')

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've heard William Cheung described, by a Wing Chun instructor in his lineage, as having "a god complex." He certainly has no shortage of ego. He also has real talent. Comparing the Cheung and the Leung Ting lineages, for example, the structure and technique of the Cheung lineage is generally superior (for example, distribution of the weight, or placement of the tan sao, etc.). If someone told me they were thinking of studying Wing Chun in the Cheung lineage, I'd tell them to go for it. I could even recommend my own former instructor from the Cheung-lineage despite the fact that I didn't get along with him, ultimately; the material is worth it.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Phil Elmore said:
I've heard William Cheung described, by a Wing Chun instructor in his lineage, as having "a god complex." He certainly has no shortage of ego. He also has real talent. Comparing the Cheung and the Leung Ting lineages, for example, the structure and technique of the Cheung lineage is generally superior (for example, distribution of the weight, or placement of the tan sao, etc.). If someone told me they were thinking of studying Wing Chun in the Cheung lineage, I'd tell them to go for it. I could even recommend my own former instructor from the Cheung-lineage despite the fact that I didn't get along with him, ultimately; the material is worth it.

Good answer.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mystic warrior said:
Just wondering what your thoughts on this mans association are. Because we have a guy here in MI.
What is one of his guys.
thanks

Politics aside, I believe that he is a reputable (if controversial) instructor whose system would probably do a great job of teaching you the basics. I'd jump on it before studying with most (but not all) unafilliated WT teachers because he does have a verifiable lineage going back a ways. I still don't know where my modernized and modified WT instructor from the late 1980's learned his stuff - outside of some JKD workshops, that is. I'd also study with the Leung Ting lineage as well because I am sure that they teach good basics as well. What I would NOT do, is study with a specific instructor in either system (or any other) who presently advocated dueling and unprovoked assaults in order to settle disputes.

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Politics aside, I believe that he is a reputable (if controversial) instructor whose system would probably do a great job of teaching you the basics. I'd jump on it before studying with most (but not all) unafilliated WT teachers because he does have a verifiable lineage going back a ways. I still don't know where my modernized and modified WT instructor from the late 1980's learned his stuff - outside of some JKD workshops, that is. I'd also study with the Leung Ting lineage as well because I am sure that they teach good basics as well. What I would NOT do, is study with a specific instructor in either system (or any other) who presently advocated dueling and unprovoked assaults in order to settle disputes.

That's absloutely true. I think that every Wing Chun trainer must train only for himself. I mean it is in the purpose of the pure self-defence in the first place, so anything you learn from any lineage might be useful.

Latest Discussions