Muay Thai legs/arms

Ric Flair

Green Belt
Reaction score
any Wing Chun artist ever had to deal with a Muay Thai fighter's kick/knee's????

What was it like??? I bet it was challenging. Not just his/her fist either, probably the elbows and hands too!!!!!!

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nope, but I've watched those guys training. Very powerful kicks and elbow strikes. Not experienced enough in Wing Chun to plan how to counter the strengths of Muay Thai... Yet. :jedi1:

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess the key to success would be having quick footwork. Jam the the kicking leg while it is recoiled or on the ground. Muay Thai fighters are a blast to watch, but so it an experienced WC martial artist.

Toasty

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
HKphooey said:
I guess the key to success would be having quick footwork. Jam the the kicking leg while it is recoiled or on the ground. Muay Thai fighters are a blast to watch, but so it an experienced WC martial artist.

LOL - then they'll just blast you with the other leg! (if you're lucky - if unlucky - prepare to have elbows for lunch)

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
There HAS to be some way of countering it. NO art is THE best, many are good, many have advantages, but I refuse to believe that nothing can be done... :idunno:

Toasty

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Kensai said:
There HAS to be some way of countering it. NO art is THE best, many are good, many have advantages, but I refuse to believe that nothing can be done... :idunno:

There are definately ways to counter it - just not the one mentioned.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am sure an experienced Wing Chun practioner can be just as fast. Jam one leg the other fighter counters with another. And then, so does the Wing Chun dude. Then the pitter-patter of strikes go back and forth. Pit experienced against experienced. Each has its disadvantages.

We would love to hear your solution.

Thanks

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Quick footwork is a key, but if you are skilled enough they do have a weakness, many people try to deal with their legs from the outside, if you are able, attack the inside of their legs it is the one part of their leg that is not conditioned, particulary the inside of their shins

Toasty

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Well, first you have to get out of the "single techinque" mindset... people dont fight that way - especially Muay Thai, which extensivley uses combinations.

That being said - my first response against the Thai style round kick is to "not be there" but if there is no choice - step in & off (depending on which leg is throwing) and kick the base leg out from under them.
Or perhaps try and close the gap w/ my opponent as much as possible while using the "kwan sao" to try and absorb some of the force of the kick.

GorSao1.jpg

Toasty

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Toasty said:
Well, first you have to get out of the "single techinque" mindset... people dont fight that way - especially Muay Thai, which extensivley uses combinations.

That being said - my first response against the Thai style round kick is to "not be there" but if there is no choice - step in & off (depending on which leg is throwing) and kick the base leg out from under them.
Or perhaps try and close the gap w/ my opponent as much as possible while using the "kwan sao" to try and absorb some of the force of the kick.

GorSao1.jpg

Whoops, forgot to add - that the above pic would be a LAST resort - as the Thai round kick would more than likely blast right through that defense... but still, slighltly better than taking it full force... LOL

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you just went against your own advice. One kick - sound single technique mind set. :)

Toasty

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
HKphooey said:
Sounds like you just went against your own advice. One kick - sound single technique mind set. :)

D'OH!!

Ok,you're right... so DEPENDING on the opponents reaction to my "single" kick (LOL) - that would lead me into my follow-up(s)...

Ho'w that Mr. Smarty Pants? :)

BTW, I totally dig that screen name! Hong Kong Phooey, #1 super guy...

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
the best defence is to move with the kick,to defend a mauy thai kick you have to really defend it the thai way....if your hardcore though you could just twist your torso and take the kick on the back part of your ribs.

Latest Discussions