Will you trust Tech for practicing martial art?

Discussion in 'Beginners Corner' started by Taekiso, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Taekiso

Taekiso White Belt

Thank you for your input and yes that's right human interaction is crucial and very important for a constructive and efficient martial art practice. However, my idea wasn't to replace completely the human but rather complement it with the technology and give a more scientific approach to the training, and we could envision even coach's using it in their training session. And as you know not everyone has the chance to train with good coaches or have limited time with them. This solution could potentially allow those who were limited, the opportunity to gain access to some valuable coaching and training program. And also human will still need to feed this computer vision that I'm envisioning.

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my explanation, when I say “basic of all martial art” I was meaning to train the practitioners from the conditioning aspect (endurance, reactivity, reflex,...). Indeed there isn't one authority for all the MA disciplines, my thinking was to choose the more representative one. How can we solve this problem?

Thanks

2. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Sr. Grandmaster

How do you decide how a movement is defined as bad or good? As has been noted, this definition is not consistent from one system to another or even one school to another within a system.

Further, what might be considered “correct” for a beginner might actually be a simplified version, which is intended to change as one becomes more experienced and has a greater understanding of the technique and the appropriate mechanics.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Taekiso

Taekiso White Belt

Thanks for your point of you.

Indeed, as said before is still the beginning of the project and probably I will discover a lot a long the way but if we cracked down a solution where tech could assist and help us improve our abilities to become better MA athlete I think it worth to try. Don't you think so?

4. Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes MT Moderator Staff Member

When it's doable, then I think it will be a worthwhile project. As far as I can tell, we have probably at least a couple of decades of basic research to do before anyone will even know how to begin developing actual working applications like this.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but I would be very surprised.

(Disclaimer - I have a couple of decades under my belt as both a martial arts instructor and a professional computer programmer. However I don't work in A.I. and my knowledge of the field is purely based on my reading as an curious layman.)123

• Like Like x 1