Will you say something that you can't prove it?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Talk' started by Kung Fu Wang, Nov 20, 2018.

1. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    Wow, that sounds like you have some experience! Don't forget your end statement.

2. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

• Supporting Member
  3. lklawson

lklawson Senior Master

• Advisor
    The point being that the claim "Proof is a purely mathematical term" is is inaccurate, unfortunately for the claimant.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

4. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

I do say stuff I can't prove. But I will prove what I can. I try not to beat people over the head with unprovable stuff.

And will accede a point I can't prove.

• Like Like x 2
  5. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    I'll dispute the notion that proof is a purely mathematical term. There are other usages besides math.

6. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    From legal.com:

• Like Like x 1
  7. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Or a print shop providing a prepress proof to a distillery for their latest ad for that 80-proof whiskey.

• Like Like x 1
  8. _Simon_

_Simon_ Master of Arts

Hehe.. well nothing is truly provable anyway, and it's only provable within the confines of that particular structure or belief system to use as a reference point or foundation. Without that, it's just floating words :p. Any system/method of 'provability' has inherent within it the limitation of its own basis. Once you question the basis, it leaves not much to say, much less prove!

We can use logic, evidence of repeatability/consistency (the scientific method), just anecdotal experience, or other means for the time being for entertainment. (But I sense a slippery slope emerging for the future of this thread... can't prove it though XD )

• Like Like x 1
  9. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    I don't think "prove" has to be an absolute. There's a reason the law says things like "prove beyond a reasonable doubt". I can prove people sometimes tackle in fights by showing a video of a fight where someone tackles. Could it be staged or somehow faked? Sure, but as long as we don't get too deep into philosophical hypotheticals, we can all agree it's possible to prove (within the most common non-math usages) some things. To what degree are they proven? That's another part of the question.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

There is a difference between saying something you can't prove and deceiving someone. Saying something you can't prove is normal. Religion being the biggest example. A scientist and their hypothesis. Things that happened in my child hood, for example, when I threw a rock and hit a snake that I thought was about to bite my friend. There's tons of stuff that's true that we can't prove. The legal system is full of examples, of people who are innocent but have no way of proving it. So if someone tells you that you robbed the store at 11pm but you knew you were home by yourself sleeping. Then how do you prove that you were where you said you were at the time of the crime?

The thing that rubs most people the wrong way is deception where someone says something that they know isn't true only because they know you can't prove that what they say is a lie.

As far as believing someone believing me, I don't care what other's think except the cops, feds, and jury. Other than that, people can believe what they want. I only say that because I know that's what they are going to do anyway regardless of what I want them to believe.

Trying to get people to believe you can be very exhausting, so if you want someone to believe you, then make sure it's worth the effort. I'll use myself as an example. When I first joined the site, I had a lot of people who thought I couldn't do the thing I claimed. So I busted out the videos to show me doing what was said to be impossible. In my mind, the gain was much bigger than the pain of me trying to get someone to believe me. I had a chance to share some information to another Jow Ga practitioner this week about his efforts to go from form to application, but I didn't. I felt it just wouldn't be worth telling that person as much as I've shared here.

• Like Like x 1
  11. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

Proof is dynamic and it changes from culture to culture and even withing certain social groups. Proof never means the same thing Prove people can't fly, Prove people can fly, Prove chemistry isn't witchcraft. Prove witch craft was just chemistry. Throughout history "proof" has been on different sides of good and bad.

For the most part proof is going to be what your audience believes. It doesn't have to be true and it doesn't have to be some complicated math fact for it to be proof.

12. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    Your last statement is where people often fall short. I see it as a logical decision. If the equation/debate/argument/etc.. gets to the point where accession is the logical answer, it is the logical thing to do. Takes the emotion out of the decision.

• Like Like x 1
  13. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    People are inherently not very logical, even when we think we are.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Martial D

Martial D Senior Master

Yes, those are all legal definitions, and even that sort of 'proof' is built off of evidence. You don't ''offer' proof, you arrive at proof(in a legal sense).

Context is important.

The context here is to offer proof for your statements..which you can't(again, unless you are offering mathematical proof). You can only provide evidence..even in a court of law.

15. lklawson

lklawson Senior Master

• Advisor
    The point being that the claim "Proof is a purely mathematical term" is is inaccurate, unfortunately for the claimant.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Fortunately, we can depend on some segments of society never fibbing to us. Politicians, lawyers, karate teachers, the clergy, repair men, in laws, kids, adults. Everything except dogs.

WhiteDevilCrop.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Martial D

Martial D Senior Master

As does context, unfortunately for the peanut gallery.

18. lklawson

lklawson Senior Master

• Advisor
    And I bet the grapes were sour too, eh Mr. Fox?

19. Martial D

Martial D Senior Master

You tell me, you're the one taking things out of context just to make pointless pedantic objections.

20. lklawson

lklawson Senior Master

• Advisor
    You mean like "proof is purely a mathematical term" in response to the OP, Mr. Fox?