Why long NOW?

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7
"If you want to dine with the "CLASSES" you must first attract and cater to the "MASSAS".

:asian:

:confused:

I meant if you could give me the source... for the quote I posted.
:eek:

But thanks. You are like a Genie. I speak and you show up and grant my wish. Thank you. :D

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by cdhall

"If I only had 6 students he could train the best fighters in the world, but that would not pay the mortgage". Ed Parker

But The Emperor is quoted as saying........... Unless he was Vince McMahon :rofl:

:asian:

OP
K

Kenpomachine

Not exactly.
It depends on the practicioner/artist.

Less can be better.
Less may even have a good shot at being better.

An airplane is less complex than a space rocket, but a space rocket will smoke an airplane everytime especially if you are going into space....

Less can be better. It is not by default. I have smoked black belts in other systems that might know less than me but they just didn't seem to me to even know the 12 or 14 techniques they were required to know.

So, not necessarily. It depends on the person.

If I have 15 legos and you have 115 who can build a "better" tower? What is "better?" What kind of "tower?"

You see where I'm going. The 115 guy has more options and can do stuff the 15 guy can't but if all you want to do is build something tall that won't fall over who is better? :confused:

I agree with you here. But, the 115 guy 115 should know his material well enough to build what he needs/likes more easyly, if he doesn't know, he will only get stuck not knowing where or how to begin. I mean, you have more possibilities of personalization with 115 pieces than with 15 only, so there's probably more material there in the 115 to fit your personal likes an interests. You just need more work to know it well.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kenpomachine
I agree with you here....

Yea Brother! I'm on a roll!
Thanks Kenpomachine.
:boing1:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kenpomachine
I agree with you here. But, the 115 guy 115 should know his material well enough to build what he needs/likes more easyly, if he doesn't know, he will only get stuck not knowing where or how to begin. I mean, you have more possibilities of personalization with 115 pieces than with 15 only, so there's probably more material there in the 115 to fit your personal likes an interests. You just need more work to know it well.

It's all just an example of motion. Here is a specifiic attack, here is your response. Keep the ones that work best for you, put the others in the back of the mind and refine your material. Substitute your strong suits in place of the ones you like the least. This is what it's all about guys. It's up to you to explore your own kenpo.

OP
G

GouRonin

An airplane is less complex than a space rocket, but a space rocket will smoke an airplane everytime especially if you are going into space....

An airplane would be better for traveling on earth. A rocket is better for outer space.

The right tool for the right job.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin
An airplane would be better for traveling on earth. A rocket is better for outer space.

The right tool for the right job.

Yeah, that was a stretch I know, but that is what I meant. A guy with 3 techniques may be better than a guy with 154 until something goes "wrong" and he has to improvise.

I'm with you.

Kalicombat

Green Belt
Reaction score
This thread has covered alot of bases; 16 vs 24, kenpo quotes, seniors, and even aviation and aerospace. Very entertaining.
I think the one thing that has been missed is regardless of number of techniques, money spent learning them, etc... it all comes down to the individual when it comes to the moment of truth. John Kenpo Doe, with all 154 techniques, all the forms, and all the kenpo knowledge in the world is only as effective as his heart will allow him. Point sparring trophies aside, if John Kenpo Doe has no experience in an actual violent encounter, my money is on the untrained thug with a side of intent and desperation. Training, while it is necessary, is not the only ingredient that makes a fighter. I put alot more people in the hospital long before I knew any kenpo at all, then since I have started training. True, I am alot more mature, no longer drink, nor frequent some of the places I used to, but as an idiot bar room brawler, I was very successful with no kenpo training at all. This is in no way bragging, I wish I had not gone through that bullcrap and none of it had ever happened. But the fact remains, you can not replace experience with any number of systems, styles techniques, etc...
I train in kenpo because I love it, not because I need it to defend myself. My kenpo, while it is not perfect in the eyes of some, works for me. Ask yourself why you train. Is it to become a great fighter, martial artist, or to help enrich your life with something that is multifaceted as a tool for self defense, a lifestyle, hobby, and an irreplacable part of your life. Your kenpo is yours, mine is mine, and we should understand that regardless of number of techniques, forms, etc... it is an individual expression, based on scientific concepts and principles.

Just my rants,
HAPPY NEW YEAR,

Gary Catherman, Kenpoist.

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Kalicombat
My kenpo, while it is not perfect in the eyes of some, works for me.

The truth is setting us all free!
:iws:

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not exactly.
It depends on the practicioner/artist.

Kalicombat,

You make good points, but you must not have noticed some of my lengthy posts earlier.

We did cover that angle. See the quote above. I also addressed it when I spoke about experience and sparring.

Thank you. If this has been entertaining and informative and helpful then I am very well pleased. :)

OP
K

Kenpomachine

it all comes down to the individual when it comes to the moment of truth.

Hey, we're agreeing on something. Ain't kenpo great some times (kenpoists too)?:D

PS It's still better to know how to use the tools you intend to use. Even in a brawl not everybody uses the same weapons...

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score

All really good points Gary, you touched on a lot that wasn't covered in previous posts. If I may I'll add my $.02.

when it comes to the moment of truth. John Kenpo Doe, with all 154 techniques, all the forms, and all the kenpo knowledge in the world is only as effective as his heart will allow him.

Agreed, my belief is that there are several ways that one becomes ready for that moment of truth and none of them involve just going to class to learn the latest principle or concept. Within the frame work of your training there should be an emotional component. One should understand the seriousness involved in the application of these ideas. That sometimes gets lost in-between the kids classes, special seminars, belt posturing, teaching beginners, preoccupation with formalities, etc...Life happens and because most don't have a warrior spirit anyway they never even realize that they are just sheep in wolves clothing. Or just sheep for that matter...

Point sparring trophies aside, if John Kenpo Doe has no experience in an actual violent encounter, my money is on the untrained thug with a side of intent and desperation. Training, while it is necessary, is not the only ingredient that makes a fighter. I put alot more people in the hospital long before I knew any kenpo at all, then since I have started training.

Once again I agree to a degree. That "violent" encounter experience can be in a controlled environment as well, like class and it doesn't always have to be "violent" as much as physically and mentally demanding to push you beyond your perceived limits and real contact must be a component. When is the last time you (anyone) let your Kenpo training make you really winded, make you feel like your lungs were going to burst from your chest, make you feel like your legs were going to explode, like your arms were made of lead, like "damn, I don't want to fight anymore, but I need to do 5 more rounds". When was the last time you were really pushed? We need this rise to another level and that is exactly what your are saying and I agree.

It is so foreign to me when a person says that they have never been hit or hit someone before, but that is consistent the reality even with the guys I train. Everyone didn't grow up in such an environment.

How many of those victims were Kenpo guys? :)

I train in kenpo because I love it, not because I need it to defend myself. My kenpo, while it is not perfect in the eyes of some, works for me.

I train to maintain my ability to defend myself and family. The mind will always lie and tell you that it is ready at a moments notice, but the reality is that the body is weak and people have to "train" even the seniors have to, even if only to maintain what they have. That's why I argue good consistent students have more value than most acknowledge or will admit toward an instructors growth and development.

Your kenpo is yours, mine is mine, and we should understand that regardless of number of techniques, forms, etc... it is an individual expression, based on scientific concepts and principles.

True, but there are frameworks that exist to make your journey easier and more effective.

Your true bro in Kenpo, jb

OP
B

brianhunter

Not exactly.

If I have 15 legos and you have 115 who can build a "better" tower? What is "better?" What kind of "tower?"

Im kinda partial to the Star Wars lego sets....nothing like building your own death star or droid......speaking of towers I think lego even did some lord of the rings MUUUAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA
Only cause I love ya Doug!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by brianhunter
Star Wars lego sets

These are really something. My son has a lot of them and people who visit look at them as though they were works of art! They're neat toys.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
These are really something. My son has a lot of them and people who visit look at them as though they were works of art! They're neat toys.

Hmm. I don't know if I know what you mean.
Do you have a link or an item number to plug in at lego.com or something?

Latest Discussions