Why does

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ao many people believe that MMA is the best way to learn how to fight against a real fight? I mean it has rule's just like everything else? You sure are not going to beat the living crap out of your partners everyday or else you want have any? So with all of this in mind what makes it so GOD like to the masses?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Because the average person's exposure to MMA is via TV, which is the new opiate of the masses? :idunno:

I understand that, but where has it been proven to be the all to a real fight. To me it is a sport and with anything a sport has it good points and bad one's.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
I understand that, but where has it been proven to be the all to a real fight. To me it is a sport and with anything a sport has it good points and bad one's.

People don't need proof. They like rhetoric. How many times have you heard the phrase "all fights go to the ground?" I hear people who know nothing about martial arts say it all of the time. I just sigh and walk away...

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
People don't need proof. They like rhetoric. How many times have you heard the phrase "all fights go to the ground?" I hear people who know nothing about martial arts say it all of the time. I just sigh and walk away...

I would have to agree with you.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It hasn't been 'proven' in the way that we (traditionally trained MA's) would normally think of it.

But people see fairly aggressive looking 'wrestling' mixed with 'boxing' and 'kung fu' on the tele and willingly accept the indoctrination that it must be the bestest fighting art because these MMA chaps keep winning the fights.

They don't see that it's not really a 'fight' but more a highly physical 'contest'. They have no exposure to the moves that make the difference between a 'fight' and a 'contest' and thus have no yardstick to judge by.

EDIT: Regarding the 'all fights go to the ground' conception, I'm assuming that this has come about because in the MMA that I've watched that's what normally seems to happen? As I noted above, I'm sure that peoples views would change if they saw the evade-take-break-finish type moves that would be used by a MA if things were really going badly South in a real life altercation.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've seen this before though with other MAs, JKD when Bruce Lee around, Kung Fu from the tv, kickboxing. Each of these was the 'ultimate' self defence techniques and each of these has engendered arguments about which is the best! the best thing to do is just shrug and say 'whatever' in that annoying was teenagers do lol!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good point, Tez and good to have a voice in the thread who knows what MMA is like better than most of us - and I heartily endorse your last words there :D.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
EDIT: Regarding the 'all fights go to the ground' conception, I'm assuming that this has come about because in the MMA that I've watched that's what normally seems to happen? As I noted above, I'm sure that peoples views would change if they saw the evade-take-break-finish type moves that would be used by a MA if things were really going badly South in a real life altercation.

This interests me, and I would like to see what others think about it, the idea that "all fights go to the ground". Surely MOST fights go to the ground, IF one or both of the fighters are grapplers, and they can "have their way" about it.

The grapplers have shown that they dominate in these "cage fighting" contests, haven't they? So, with the rules of the MMA events, they have shown a level of superiority (one on one, not multiple opponents, and so on). I mean, that is what made such a reputation for BJJ, right?

Yeah, and its good that a MMA person has joined this thread, thanks Tez3.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
First you should all know

Police/Miltary SANDA is the GREATEST martial art OF ALL TIME.

And if you believe that I have a bridge to sell you

Ao many people believe that MMA is the best way to learn how to fight against a real fight? I mean it has rule's just like everything else? You sure are not going to beat the living crap out of your partners everyday or else you want have any? So with all of this in mind what makes it so GOD like to the masses?

I too have a question, why are we starting this again? :confused: We have been through it and through it and through it multiple times and it ALWAYS ends the same..... With another post about the same thing and it never solves anything.

I have talked with several MMA people (I am a TCMA guy for those that do not know me) in person and they are all quite nice and quite effective at what they do and are open to just about any martial art that can help them achieve their goal. I even talked to one that was training Qigong because he thought it helped I also talked with a Taiji guy that went to train MMA and he said that he was learning a lot abut fighting and the MMA guys loved to spare with him because they had never come across someone that rooted so well and they had trouble taking him down.

Also the average TMA I come across can't fight his way out of a paper bag these days. But if you judge all by that you WILL get hurt because some are really really good at fighting. But both MMA and TMA have to understand there is a WORLD of difference between sparing in a school on a nice flat floor in an air conditioned room with your teacher watching and a real live fight outside in who knows what. And there is a world of difference between fighting on a nice flat surface wearing a pair of gloves with certain rules to adhere to with a ref standing by than an actual knock down no holds barred street fight.

Can't we all just get along, bottom-line, we are all martial artists.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whenever younger officers ask about MMA because they are considering getting into the amature level..I tell them that they better have a serious working knowledge of boxing, Judo, karate, BJJ before they attempt to get in the cage..

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

In the 60's it was Judo.

In the 70's Karate and TKD and TSD - full contact sparring

In the 80's the Sparring kids who sparred in the late 70's were still using pads and light contact. The point games became real popular. Also the eclectic arts were popular amny of them using weapons.

In the early 90's it was BJJ and others that grappled

In the 00's we see a return to stand up and good defense against the ground or grappling games.

In the 70's there was the JKA (* Judo Karate schools of America *) in South East Michigan. These guys had Shito Ryu Karate for kicking and hard blocks and strikes. They had Judo for take downs, they also have JuJitsu for ground work on top of the Judo. They also had Muay Thai.

Yep I said it, these guys did it all in all ranges (* they covered weapons in their self defense courses - maybe not to level of a FMA or Taijitsu but they tried *) in the early to mid and even into the late 70's before no one wanted to spar with them or train as it hurt too much.

I know of some guys who came out of this group. They are hard nosed, have to knock them out types when they fight, and yet, they have control and will work with others and have stated to me, that as the senior on the matts for they they are teaching or showing it is their responisbility to make sure they other guy does not hurt themselves. They are also very injured and have the medical records to show it.

So why does MMA seem to be the best?

I do not know. I like to watch it. I train in ranges, but am not a proficient ground person, and recognize that and train to stay up. But that is me. Others like to go to the ground. Hmmm, note the people winning some stand up and others go to the ground.

I think it is a place for guys to go "Fight" and have some rules for "Safety" and to allow them to kick and punch and grapple and not be as limited as some other events.

But the media has it. The fans have it. Heck why was Big Time Wrestiling so popular? I do not know, but it was.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
This interests me, and I would like to see what others think about it, the idea that "all fights go to the ground". Surely MOST fights go to the ground, IF one or both of the fighters are grapplers, and they can "have their way" about it.

The grapplers have shown that they dominate in these "cage fighting" contests, haven't they? So, with the rules of the MMA events, they have shown a level of superiority (one on one, not multiple opponents, and so on). I mean, that is what made such a reputation for BJJ, right?

Yeah, and its good that a MMA person has joined this thread, thanks Tez3.

Out in the real world I think that the best approach would be to not let your attacker "get into thier game." If you are fighting a stand up fighter, take it to the ground. If you are fighting a grappler, stay on your feet. Just make sure to be well versed in both "ranges" of fighting, cuz' you never know what's going to hit you.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah this thread is going in a very sensible and common sensical way!

I wouldn't say all MMA fights go to the ground, if you are good at stand up and you are fighting someone who's a known grappler keeping it stood up is the best way to go. I've seen several fights stay ip or ended before they've gone to the floor. Going to the floor in a 'real' fight isn't always such a good idea as everyone knows.

MMA best? Yes, for MMA.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Going to the floor in a 'real' fight isn't always such a good idea as everyone knows.

That's what I tell my officers...I you have too, you have too..But NEVER do it by choice...........

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would avoid it at all costs. Gives me pain to just think about it!
But at a bare minimum, you should know enough ground technique to be able to regain your feet if you fall or are taken down.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But at a bare minimum, you should know enough ground technique to be able to regain your feet if you fall or are taken down.

Yes..We do teach ground techniques..

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Trying to stick with the why of Terry's OP, I think that the reason everyone has clung on to it is, in part, the blood lust that leads people to be a gawker at a car wreck. They all want to see someone get hurt in a very bad way, so they cling to the T.V. in hopes of seeing such. Another part is that it is the closest to a street fight that many will come without having to get near the fight itself. They would be risking getting pulled in, even if they were only spectators.

In the early years it was hyped up for being true NHB, even though they still had rules(biting and eye-gouging). Though now they have weight classes and more rules I feel that people are still in the mind-set of it being no rules. JMO.