why does rush limbaugh still have a job?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Admin Note

**Attention ALL Users**

2nd warning. Stop with the personal shots, snipes and rude posts. Use the ignore feature and return to the topic at hand.

Mike Slosek
MT Asst Admin

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There is a huge difference, IMO, between smoking some weed as a youngster and supporting a massive addiction to oxycontin. And the hypocrisy of, even while nurturing this addiction, condemning others. It's SOP for zealots like that. It seems the most homophobic right wingers are the ones caught in bathroom stalls. And Limbaugh spoke of putting hippies in jail and throwing away the key for marijuana while he himself was abusing a controlled substance.

for me, the actions are just a small part of it. It's the hypocrisy that sends it over the edge.
Oxycontin abuse is usually the result of prescribed medication for pain that simply gets out of control. Smoking marijuana as a youth is usually a choice for recreational enjoyment. I have never listened to Rush Limbaugh or Michael Savage or Air America so I couldn't care less what they do or say. It doesn't effect me in the slightest.

I am effected by Barack Obama's decision making however, so I think he should be held to a higher standard than a radio personality.

When you say that "most homophobic right wingers are the one's caught in bathroom stalls" I can only think of one politician off hand. It seems to be the exception rather than the rule. This statement obviously shows your bias.

I want to make it clear that I really don't care about marijuana use, as long as I don't breathe in the second hand smoke. I also don't care whose caught in a bathroom stall. The only thing I care about is that the families of these people have to suffer because of betrayal. In that respect, my heart goes out to Elizabeth Edwards and her family.

You Steve seem to think that hypocrisy is a realm for conservatives only. Let me remind you that Democratic politicians have been playing the "I'm on the side of the poor" card for centuries. All while living large off the backs of tax payers. Both parties have their hypocrits as far as I'm concerned.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
When you say that "most homophobic right wingers are the one's caught in bathroom stalls" I can only think of one politician off hand. It seems to be the exception rather than the rule. This statement obviously shows your bias.
You guys are so full of it sometimes. Okay. Just so everyone is clear. I tend to be a little right when it comes to fiscal topics and distinctly left when it comes to social topics. I reserve the right to waffle and to be mistaken because I work full time and have kids, and my job isn't related to politics. I presume most of you are in the same boat (although some know way more than I do).

I have a bias. I make NO attempt to hide it, nor do I apologize for it. I am not interested in tricking anyone or catching anyone or playing stupid rhetorical games with anyone. Seriously. So, please, please stop telling me I'm revealing my bias, or that I'm showing my true colors. It is insulting to us both and implies that I was trying to hide it in the first place. I'm not.

Now:
Oxycontin abuse is usually the result of prescribed medication for pain that simply gets out of control. Smoking marijuana as a youth is usually a choice for recreational enjoyment. I have never listened to Rush Limbaugh or Michael Savage or Air America so I couldn't care less what they do or say. It doesn't effect me in the slightest.

I am effected by Barack Obama's decision making however, so I think he should be held to a higher standard than a radio personality.
Marijuana is a recreational drug that I believe should be legalized, and has been made illegal for political reasons. It's safer, based upon what I know about it, than either cigarettes OR alcohol. So, pretty much the only thing I don't like about it is that it's illegal, and that's the only reason I don't enjoy it now.

In my opinion, abusing a strong narcotic like Oxycontin is much worse, but understandable considering Limbaugh's circumstances. What really bugs me about Rush isn't the addiction. It's the hypocrisy. The point I was making about the homophobic right wing politicians (or how about "sanctity of marriage" guys who have been divorced multiple times and/or cheated on their spouses) is that it's the ones who bark the loudest who are often hiding their own shame. Limbaugh said some pretty vile things about drug addicts while he himself was hiding an addiction to a controlled substance.
And this is by your standard? Who gets to set the standard? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that your high standard looks different than mine.
You Steve seem to think that hypocrisy is a realm for conservatives only.
You can believe that if you want to. I'll only point out that there is a different between conservative and republican, just as there is a difference between liberal and democrat.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
IMO Oxy abuse is as much about Doctors getting people hooked on it then cutting the prescriptions as it is about "junkies".

I once locked up a guy for wrecking his car while on strong..illegally purchased...muscle relaxants. He had more stuffed in his sock, from a recent illegal purchase. Turns out the guy was a "clean", "average joe" till a pack of shingles slid off a roof and hit him on the head breaking his neck. The docs gave him a bunch of pain meds and his job gave him a hefty settlement. Unfortunately most of that money went into buying more illegal pain meds after the docs cut him off.

BTW: My case never went to trial because he OD'd a few weeks later.

I dont know if its totally fair comparing people like that with recreational drug users...Ill lock either of em up just the same, but I see them as different.

I've heard numerous stories similar to THIS over the years.

Last edited:

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Steve, I too believe that marijuana should be legalized. Not just medical marijuana but recreational marijuana as a whole. So we agree there. I don't really care about Rush Limbaugh pre se. What I do care about is the hypocrisy of the left when dealing with this issue. Barack Obama should be held to a higher standard because (to some extent) he can set policy and affect our lives. Rush Limbaugh cannot. Marijuana is (on the whole) illegal for recreational use right now. Barack Obama shows poor judgement to have been involved in cocaine and marijuana use. That's my point.

When it comes to being "full of it", you too have the same tendancy,considering your "right wing homophobic..." remarks. Talking about multiple marriages, affairs, and other dastardly affairs, go talk to the Kennedy's. As I said befor, wasn't it Teddy that left a young woman dead at the bottom of the river, then went home to sober up before he called it in, just to save himself from prosecution. Yet he has been a senator for other thirty years. John Edwards has a mistress and tells her to wait until his wife DIES before they make their relationship public. Some believe he has a child with her. There are just as many creeps on the left than there are on the right. Then we have Sibilius, former governor who protected Dr Tiller "the baby killer" who provided late term abortions to anyone for any reason as long as they had $5k to give him. She is now Health secretary if I remember right. Just think about that for a moment.

Rush Limbaugh is still in business because people listen to him. Period.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
IMO Oxy abuse is as much about Doctors getting people hooked on it then cutting the prescriptions as it is about "junkies".

I once locked up a guy for wrecking his car while on strong..illegally purchased...muscle relaxants. He had more stuffed in his sock, from a recent illegal purchase. Turns out the guy was a "clean", "average joe" till a pack of shingles slid off a roof and hit him on the head breaking his neck. The docs gave him a bunch of pain meds and his job gave him a hefty settlement. Unfortunately most of that money went into buying more illegal pain meds after the docs cut him off.

BTW: My case never went to trial because he OD'd a few weeks later.

I dont know if its totally fair comparing people like that with recreational drug users...Ill lock either of em up just the same, but I see them as different.

I've heard numerous stories similar to THIS over the years.
Kudo to you mate. You have a tough job. It must be heartwrenching to have to bust a decent guy with record, and then hear that he's killed himself. I couldn't do the job, but I'm glad there are people out there that take on the responsibility.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've listened to Limbaugh off and on. By chance, I did happen to be listening the day after his $400MILLION deal with Clear Channel was announced, IIRC, he explained the large number, but, BTW, neither confirmed nor denied the amount, as what Clear Channel is more than happy to pay him so they can charge, and this is a direct quote: "
Confiscatory fees for advertising.
" i.e., fees so high, if it were on a highway, it'd be highway robbery. They pay him that much, because they make MORE than that selling the advertising.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
It isn't a question of style, but, rather of honesty, something that ought to be valued over nicety.

honesty & nicety aren't mutually exclusive. for example, you can say "i think you're misinformed" rather than "you're ignorant". i'll admit that out of my 1700 or so posts on here, i have not cross-referenced & fact checked every statement, & i suspect no one else here has either. but i do welcome new information, it's just hard to digest it when it's served up with a pile of attitude on the side.

Here is a question for you that is based on yours..
How does more then 60,000,000 Americans forgive Obamas Drug Use and make him president?
Limbaughs listener base by the most optimistic guesstimates is much less then 40,000,000. So shouldn't the question be why do Americans in general forgive drug use in high profile celebrities and politicians?

If you really wanted it to be a non political debate then you would have worded it similar to that. By bringing a polarizing political figure that you do not like into the conversations it seems pretty obvious to me you were looking for a certain direction here.

well, obama is the 3rd consecutive president known to have used drugs in the past, so there is a precedent established for presidential drug use being of fairly small concern. also, unlike rush, obama isn't known to be a vocal supporter of the war on drugs. my concern isn't with drug use in & of itself but with hypocricy. it really doesn't matter to me that rush is still on the air, i was just wondering how his fans reconciled his positions with his actual life. i suppose if other high profile celebrities busted for drug use were also drug war supporters, i could have worded the question as you suggest, but your rewording doesn't really address what i was curious about.

also luckyboxer, if you care to cruise around the forum you'll find that i'm critical of obama on several issues, mostly regarding the economic bailout & concerns about gun laws. just because someone dislikes a far right conservative doesn't make him a far left liberal. i just don't like *******s. i don't care what party they're with.

jf

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Steve, I too believe that marijuana should be legalized. Not just medical marijuana but recreational marijuana as a whole. So we agree there.
Awesome!
I don't really care about Rush Limbaugh pre se. What I do care about is the hypocrisy of the left when dealing with this issue. Barack Obama should be held to a higher standard because (to some extent) he can set policy and affect our lives. Rush Limbaugh cannot. Marijuana is (on the whole) illegal for recreational use right now. Barack Obama shows poor judgement to have been involved in cocaine and marijuana use. That's my point.
I think this is interesting and I see your point. I don't see how it helps us answer the question, "Why does Rush still have a job?" Or, why does he continue to have credibility?
When it comes to being "full of it", you too have the same tendancy,considering your "right wing homophobic..." remarks.
Come on now. It's a valid example, becuase it's the right wing politicians who tend to take the hard stance against gay rights or gay marriage. There was a guy in Spokane here in Washington who resigned in shame after being a staunchly anti-gay politician. Then... what's his name in the airport stall. There have been others, as well.
Talking about multiple marriages, affairs, and other dastardly affairs, go talk to the Kennedy's. As I said befor, wasn't it Teddy that left a young woman dead at the bottom of the river, then went home to sober up before he called it in, just to save himself from prosecution. Yet he has been a senator for other thirty years. John Edwards has a mistress and tells her to wait until his wife DIES before they make their relationship public. Some believe he has a child with her. There are just as many creeps on the left than there are on the right. Then we have Sibilius, former governor who protected Dr Tiller "the baby killer" who provided late term abortions to anyone for any reason as long as they had $5k to give him. She is now Health secretary if I remember right. Just think about that for a moment.
I didn't mean to imply this was just right wing politicians. When I said, "sanctity of marriage guys" I was talking about all of them. Infidelity is bipartisan. So is hypocrisy. Once again, I think it's a mistake to use democrat and liberal synonymously, just as it's a mistake to so use the terms conservative and republican.

Regarding Obama, I think it is a pretty clear statement about how the GOP is viewed by the voting public. They, as you said, forgave him for admitting to drug use before electing a republican to the oval office for a 3rd consecutive term. There's a message there that's pretty honest. As a political group, the GOP needs to fall back and rediscover their conservative ideals. As a group, they're leaderless and directionless. Until they can communicate to the public that they are other than what the public has seen over the last 12 years, they are in trouble.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
this has been PROVEN false more times than i can count. if someone has to post LIES to make a point, they dont have one.

Shrub was AWOL and couldn't be bothered to finish the nice, cushy safe hitch in the TAG. .

Last edited:

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
BZZZZZZt

wrong answer

Bush admitted to having an alcohol problem in the past. he never admitted anything to do with drugs, nor was it ever proven

not ONE person has ever come forward to say they did drugs with him, sold him drugs, or anything else.

that was nothing but a liberal smear campaign.

'repeate it often enough, people will believe it"

right out of Alinsky's rules for radicals

I think that Bush's well documented alcohol and drug problems were wrong and very damaging to his credibility. I would feel the same for Obama.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Regarding Obama, I think it is a pretty clear statement about how the GOP is viewed by the voting public. They, as you said, forgave him for admitting to drug use before electing a republican to the oval office for a 3rd consecutive term. There's a message there that's pretty honest. As a political group, the GOP needs to fall back and rediscover their conservative ideals. As a group, they're leaderless and directionless. Until they can communicate to the public that they are other than what the public has seen over the last 12 years, they are in trouble.

I agree with this post 100% Steve. I consider myself a conservative as a whole, but at the moment I am definately NOT a republican. I find it amusing that Michael Steele is now head of the GOP. It's almost as if they got around a table and said, " Barack is black, so we need a black leader", ridiculous.

I happen to agree also with gay marriage. The thing that bothers me is that the left are vicious in the way they attack anyone who disagrees with them. Look at the Miss California debarcle, everyone and their mother slammed her and where were the so called women's rights groups when all this is going on. It's funny how Obama doesn't agree with gay marriage either, but he gets a pass.

As I said before, Rush Limbaugh has a job, because people listen to him and advertisers buy time from Clearchannel. It's that simple. If Air America could have got people to listen on mass, and get companies to buy advertising time, they too would still be able to spout their hate. They couldn't, so they collapsed.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I agree with this post 100% Steve. I consider myself a conservative as a whole, but at the moment I am definately NOT a republican. I find it amusing that Michael Steele is now head of the GOP. It's almost as if they got around a table and said, " Barack is black, so we need a black leader", ridiculous.
Exactly, and often (usually) true of the democrats and liberals, as well. Take the current situation with Nancy Pelosi. The republican machine is trying to make it sound like liberals are interested in protecting her. Personally, if she was involved, she should be a part of the investigation. Some Democrats... specifically some Democratic politicians... are interested in protecting her, but only the ones who believe that this torture issue is a political one and not a legal or ethical one.
I happen to agree also with gay marriage. The thing that bothers me is that the left are vicious in the way they attack anyone who disagrees with them. Look at the Miss California debarcle, everyone and their mother slammed her and where were the so called women's rights groups when all this is going on. It's funny how Obama doesn't agree with gay marriage either, but he gets a pass.
It's this way with any issue like this. Gay marriage is vicious on either side, as is abortion. Everyone believes very strongly that they are Right (with a capital R).
As I said before, Rush Limbaugh has a job, because people listen to him and advertisers buy time from Clearchannel. It's that simple. If Air America could have got people to listen on mass, and get companies to buy advertising time, they too would still be able to spout their hate. They couldn't, so they collapsed.
Isn't Air America still on the air? There was never an "Air America" affiliate in Seattle, but many of their shows are syndicated on the local progressive station. I flip between this station and the two conservative ones (although I can't take very much Hannity or OReilly). Tom Hartman, Ron Reagan, Stephanie Miller and all of those guys are still on the air. I don't know if they're Air America or not, but they're definitely liberal and I presume they have a listening audience.

Twinfist, I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not going to get too worked up about any of this. :)

rocksham

Orange Belt
Reaction score

clear channel keeps him because he gets ratings, infamy is as good as fame for the purpose. It doesnt lessen his ginormous hypocricy though.

rocksham

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Exactly, and often (usually) true of the democrats and liberals, as well. Take the current situation with Nancy Pelosi. The republican machine is trying to make it sound like liberals are interested in protecting her. Personally, if she was involved, she should be a part of the investigation. Some Democrats... specifically some Democratic politicians... are interested in protecting her, but only the ones who believe that this torture issue is a political one and not a legal or ethical one.It's this way with any issue like this. Gay marriage is vicious on either side, as is abortion. Everyone believes very strongly that they are Right (with a capital R). Isn't Air America still on the air? There was never an "Air America" affiliate in Seattle, but many of their shows are syndicated on the local progressive station. I flip between this station and the two conservative ones (although I can't take very much Hannity or OReilly). Tom Hartman, Ron Reagan, Stephanie Miller and all of those guys are still on the air. I don't know if they're Air America or not, but they're definitely liberal and I presume they have a listening audience.

Twinfist, I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not going to get too worked up about any of this. :)

the attacks on Pelosi are a joke, because what the Republican party has become is a joke. Rove: joke, Cheney: bad joke, Gingrich: old and tired joke. They attack because they have no answers, and the CIA under Cheney's watch was likely guilty.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
the attacks on Pelosi are a joke, because what the Republican party has become is a joke. Rove: joke, Cheney: bad joke, Gingrich: old and tired joke. They attack because they have no answers, and the CIA under Cheney's watch was likely guilty.
I don't disagree. The point I was driving at is that the attacks are politically motivated, not morally or legally motivated. The people making such a big deal about Pelosi are doing so to confuse the issue. While this has worked very well in the past, it's a real mistake right now, IMO, and will backfire and make the GOP look even worse.

Getting a little more back to the topic of the thread, that Limbaugh is a widely recognized, informal leader in the Republican party speaks volumes for the state of conservatism and the GOP right now.

rocksham

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't disagree. The point I was driving at is that the attacks are politically motivated, not morally or legally motivated. The people making such a big deal about Pelosi are doing so to confuse the issue. While this has worked very well in the past, it's a real mistake right now, IMO, and will backfire and make the GOP look even worse.

Getting a little more back to the topic of the thread, that Limbaugh is a widely recognized, informal leader in the Republican party speaks volumes for the state of conservatism and the GOP right now.

we definately don't disagree the Republican loss has led to their party being led by their lunatic fringe and they do look bad, and they will do anything to divert that fact. Good luck with that....

How about another "alternative" budget with no numbers, that'll fix everything.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
you two can pat each other on the back and talk about how the GOP is dead all you want, your entire party is doing the same thing.

it doesnt make it true. In fact, it reminds me of the ugly chick telling herself how hawt she is, over and over

pathetic, really.

The pelosi matter is, as usual for democrats, blatant hypocracy. She KNEW about waterboarding, she LIED about knowing, and has gotten busted for it.

Pelosi: this is a war crime
CIA: you didnt say so in 2003
Pelosi: i didnt know
CIA: yeah you did, here is the the list of people at the briefing, isnt that your name?
Pelosi; but, but but but but....

PATHETIC

The GOP got lazy, and became too much like democrats, they spent like democrats, and the people got tired of it.

The Obamasiah lied his *** off and ran as a MODERATE, which he isnt, but the lefty sheep ate it up, and the stupid, weak lame and lazy voted for him. And even then it was close, the vote only went for obama by like 3%.

what did they get?

Obamas spending makes Bush look like a miser

Obama is keeping every single Bush anti-terror measure, after campaigning about how bad they were

Obama is staying in Iraq and Afgansitan after promising to get out.

Obama campaigned on how he was going to bring CHANGE

yeah, for the first time, the government is BUYING provate businesses. it's illegal, but it sure is CHANGE.

All of that and more is why Limbaugh still has a job.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obamas spending makes Bush look like a miser

Obama is keeping every single Bush anti-terror measure, after campaigning about how bad they were

Obama is staying in Iraq and Afgansitan after promising to get out.

Obama campaigned on how he was going to bring CHANGE

yeah, for the first time, the government is BUYING provate businesses. it's illegal, but it sure is CHANGE.

All of that and more is why Limbaugh still has a job.

Largely agree with much you posted here, but I'm not so sure that govenment ownership of business is illegal, or that what's happening currently is without precedent.

Amtrak, for example, is owned by the government-it is, in fact, the National Railroad Passenger Corporation , doing business as Amtrak. The Tenessee Valley Authority is also a wholly government owned business, and then there are the various financial sector GSEs (government sponsored enterprises), such as Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae. The first GSE was the Farm Credit System, founded by Congress in 1916.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions