Why does everyone mouth off on TKD?

OP
W

white dragon

no no, it's dpi, it's a SPECIAL technique, for SPECIAL people, so no wonder you don't know about it... but I guess so some people don't feel left out, we could call it PSI :D :D yeah, my bad!

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Klondike93

I was told I seperated the cartliage in my left ribs, they took x-rays and couldn't find a break anyways. That was interesting, I couldn't breathe very deep at all. I was having such a hard time breathing I thought I was having a heart attack.

:asian:

That makes sense, since cartilage doesn't show up very well on X-rays...in fact, I don't think it does at all.

The design of the rib cage allows for a lot of flexibility of the structure. You want something sturdy to protect the lungs and heart, but you don't want it to be too brittle as to shatter upon hard enough impact, potentially causing bone fragments to rupture the heart and/or lungs.

Cthulhu

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not here to defend Tae kwon do, I do know it has it's limitations. Most of us know that, but in it's defense not all Tkd schools are the same. The ones that get the most bad rap are the ATA style. I believe the ITF is much better. I had a student that was studying both TKD & Kempojujutsu, he did some kempo things in TKD and was told that was not TKD. To me if it works use it who cares where it comes from.

Bob Thomas :drinkbeer :moon: :duel:

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hiya all.

The thing I don't like about my school is not enough self defence. They are pretty even when it comes to showing basics, step sparring, forms, and sparring, but I been there 4 months and they showed us self defense 3 times. That's it. Plus one can't learn step sparring till green belt.

When I was in TSD, I learned step sparring (at least 5 hand techniques and 5 foot techniques) and self defense (releases, pressure points, and wrists and arm locks) at white belt. It wasn't nothing fancy, but at least, I learned the basics of each. We practiced self defence in my old school, at least, twice a week. And I thought that was bad, till I came here.

Last night was one of the times they showed us self defense, and my partner said "I donno if I'll remember it, because I did it only twice." So, I'm not the only one who thinks it needs to be a "more often" thing.

I'm not bashing TKD at all. It has nothing to do with it. It depends on the instructor. I got into MA for self defense, and my instructor lacks in that department at the moment.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It sounds like you need a partner you can practice with outside of class! It seems as though you have the basic knowledge but not enough time to practice it!

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What part of NY are you in? Tim Hartman (Modern Arnis...our very own Renegade) is based there, as well as martial artists from several other systems.

Cthulhu

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I was in TKD, whenever we did step sparring, we were told to be flashy and not simple. It was fun, but not very practical at all. When I took my black belt test, part of it involved a thing called Ho Sin Sul (self defense). It's a pre-arranged self defense moves, and I decided to do some kenpo I was learning for it to make it look more realistic. :D

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mod. Note:

Deleted duplicate post.

Cthulhu
-MT Mod.-

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Klondike.

You got that right. I remember everything I learned in TSD self defense and I haven't done it in four months (since I moved). That's because we did it so much. In this school, I can't remember anything they showed me. When they do, I have a habit of doing it the TSD way :rolleyes: Oops hehehe I got yelled at last night for that. But it (TSD self defense) is what I practiced a lot and had drilled in my head. This new school needs to do the same thing (so, at least, students will remember even doing self defense in class :eek: lol).

OP
W

white dragon

I don't see why some instructors have problems with people using self defence they learned in other classes, unless they think it wouldn't work, in which case can't they take the time to explain why they think that?

When we do step sparring we're not told to use the flashiest moves me know, but rather the dirtiest! Beginners will start off learning just using basic punches and do for a while, but this is so it becomes second nature, some people do find this boring and want to move on, but there is thinking behind it.

After reading posts from various sources and talking to people from different clubs, I don't think there's anyway at all you could call the class I'm in a "traditional" TKD class. We hardly do any sport sparring, lots of self defence and use our hands a lot. We also use sweeps, taught weapon defence, kick below the belt, do take-downs, throws and learn breakfalling. To me this has been what taekwondo is about, it's always seemed practicle, I've been bullshitted about a technique, we're constantly told that in a fight situation that we shouldn't try and pull off flashy kicks and just stick to the basics which have been ground into us. I thought this was how TKD had always been taught and it was recently that it had been diluted, but maybe it's always been weak and what I'm learning is a mix between tkd, bjj and karate. We've even had a couple of converts from the JKD class because they came down and thought our class was more "adpated to real life combat".

I'm hoping bad schools are more the exception to the rule, rather than a class like mine being the odd one out. If that's the case then I find it very sad and can see why people think it's rather limited. but this to me is tkd, it's how I want to learn it and it's how it'd teach to people in the future should that be a path I take.

Respect and Harmony.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Dragon.

Amen! I agree with you. I think that's how a class should be taught. I'm no expert when it comes to MA, but I've been in it long enough to know that a good school teaches a little of everything (self defense, step sparring, forms, ect) in one class or a few times a week.

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

I say argh to some of you people. No matter what MA site i go to, there is always people talking bad about TKD... oh well, what am I going to do?

Why does it have to be Kenpo people all the time? Does Kenpo really hate TKD that much? I am not making a generalization, I'm just talking from my experience.

I actually TRIED to learn Kenpo over here at 3 different schools. When the instructors asked me if I've studied MA before, I told them I teach TKD, then each one of them (different people at different times) all laughed at me. I couldn't stay at a Kenpo school longer than a month, as they would always crack jokes and mock my art. I've also visited about 5 more schools just browsings, and most of them said they hate TKD. These organizations were fairly known. And their instructors were not good at all, i mean their techniques were ok, but no morals. I mean even the students were laughing at the fact that I teach TKD, and this was at 2 of the 3 individual schools. One instructor even went so far as to have me spar him infront of the whole class, with no gear... like a showcase match, just to show how Kenpo would do against TKD. He was pretty embarrassed when i tapped him out in an instep press, telling the students that the technique wasn't TKD so he didn't expect it.

I could easily say that kenpo schools are crappy, and would have means to justify it, but I understand that there are crappy schools in EVERY style. And no one school has more crappy schools than another, its all the same. Some of you people resemble the "Cobra-Kai" from the "Karate Kid" movie, a bit too well. Some of you should open your minds and let them run free from the restraints of whatever style.

OP
W

white dragon

My turn to say A-men! I've thought of comparing some people to the "Cobra-Kai" a few times but thought I'd just get a load of backlash :) But jeeezus saying "that's not tkd, so I didn't expect it" what kind of instructor is that?

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Some out there are rather opinionated about the lack of ability of TKD people because of how quickley some get black belts there.
I'm a TKD black belt learning kenpo and enjoying it tremendously.

When the instructors asked me if I've studied MA before, I told them I teach TKD, then each one of them (different people at different times) all laughed at me. I couldn't stay at a Kenpo school longer than a month, as they would always crack jokes and mock my art. I've also visited about 5 more schools just browsings, and most of them said they hate TKD.

If that's the way they treat you then they don't deserve your buisness or anyone else's for that matter, I think that's being a jerk.

Most of the kenpo schools I've been to have been happy to have me, and never gave me any crap about TKD. (maybe they know if they did, I'd kick 'em in the head, hard):rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

OP
T

Ty K. Doe

Are any of you familiar with Han Min Kyo's system of TKD. I'm not sure if it's a franchise or what but I'm always seeing Master Han's Martial Arts signs. There are several of these schools in Missouri. Not sure how far spread they are across the country. After observing some of the students that come out of a few of the schools that I know, I can see why people from other styles would mouth off on TKD. Their students test every month.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, I have to admit it (hangs her head in shame). I used to hate TKD also. Don't get me wrong, I had friends who took it and I never put them down. But I'm the type who got into martial arts for self defense, and TKD is a sport (mainly). I study TKD now. I gripe cause they don't teach enough self defense, but it's not required till green belt (I think).

But I "woke up." You're right, Thunder Foot. TKD being the under dog lately, I want to defend my new art. Some TKD schools are black belt mills and give the rest of us a bad name, but not every TKD school is like that. My school gives you a choice to study the "art" part of TKD, or sport or both, which is really cool. And it is soooooo hard to get a BB in this school (according to the people who just tested for 1st degree). Some failed for little things, some failed for not trying (acting like they didn't want to be there and griping the whole time).

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That is exactly how I teach my TKD school. My poor students think that Tae Kwon Do involves so many ranges! Actually thats a joke...I always give credit to other martial arts when I teach my students something outside the regular art of TKD. TKD is primarily kicking and punching so when I teach the elbows, headbutts and groin kicks or grappling I always tell them what art it's from and even who taught it to me.

Martial arts are about combat, plain and simple. It's nice to have sport and spirituality in martial arts but the primary focus should be survival. Survival with a moral and ethical foundation. I can't stand the thought of one of my students learning every dirty technique in the book only to use it for an evil purpose.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
D

Drunken Master

Originally posted by Damian Mavis

TKD is primarily kicking and punching so when I teach the elbows, headbutts and groin kicks or grappling I always tell them what art it's from and even who taught it to me.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Is that not over simplifying Taekwon-Do. Below is an example of parts of the body we use in our ITF Taekwon-Do techniques;

Fore Fist
Back Fist
Side Fist
Open Fist
Long Fist
Under Fist
Thumb Knuckle
Fore Knuckle
Middle Knuckle Fist
Knifehand
Reverse Knifehand
Fingertips
Flat Fingertip
Angle Fingertip
Double Finger
Palm sonbadak
Arc-Hand
Elbow
Footsword
Front Sole
Back Heel
Instep
Reverse Footsword

Although our instructor only teaches movements and techniques in the Taekwon-Do Encyclopaedia as written by General Choi, Hong Hi our instructor is happy for us to also attend other style classes.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't include what we do in patterns as to what is involved in TKD. We do all kinds of interesting things in patterns and then never learn them for real. If you instructor is teaching some more interesting things other than kicking and punching then....guess what! haha He's different than most TKD instructors and you are lucky. Surely you realise that the program at your TKD school is not the same as the program at another TKD school? I have never seen a TKD instructor teach those techniques from the encyclopedia. In my city I am the ONLY instructor who teaches TKD the way I do, the other 100 schools all teach tradtitional TKD with a little self defence thrown in. I think your getting something extra at your school and thats good!

Traditionally TKD is kicking and punching (ITF), class would be 50 minutes of kicking and punching with maybe some time put aside for self defence but not usually.

Your school sounds fun, good luck with your training

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Latest Discussions