Why do you train?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So I can go home at the end of my shift..

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its the lifestyle that comes with being a martial artist. Learning to defend yourself and others. Getting into better condition. Confidence, poise, character development, learning to persevere. These are all a little part of it. I have gained these things and so much more. As has already been stated, "I can't not train." Iwould go bonkers if I missed a day of training.

OP
J

Jussi Häkkinen

My reason is simple: I like it.

I just enjoy it. There was a time when I tried (and succeeded, eventually) to rationalize my passion to karate to myself. Then, I just did quit any unnecessary thinking when I realized that "I like it" is a good reason enough. And about as deep as one can get.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is also where I met My Wife. That made karate fun. Having her by my side standing with me through the hard and easy times. You want to talk about a relationship builder.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Something that I have been thinking about as a teacher and as a student. Why do we train in karate?
I would love to hear why you enjoy your Karate training.

I train to make myself better. that includes better able to defend myself and my friends and family, and it also is good exersize and I enjoy it over all.

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to improve my life - part of which i decided i needed to get fit and healthy.
I personally hate gym's, mainly because they are boring. There is no mental stimulation.

Karate on the other hand is mentally engaging, physically taxing and most importantly the people who train in the arts are fun to be around.

In a gym no one really talks to each other or even smiles. At a dojo people talk about everything and anything - they laugh together. It's a truely friendly atmosphere. And to be able to train around people who are so positive makes it all even more rewarding.

I recon i could go on about other points for pages but i'll leave it at that.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I want to achieve my sandan before I have children. I feel there are amazing transferrable skills between being a sensei and a parent. I want to introduce karate training to them very young in their lives and feel it would give them a physical and mental boost at an early age. I will also have better patience, I beleive, and this will definitely help me to be a father. The trouble is finding a like-minded would-be mother. I'm probably looking at ten years or more before achieving this which would put me around thirty-five before I have kids, which means I'd be fifty-three when they're eighteen. A lot of people want to be young parents to keep up with their kids. I look at it as another reason to stay fit into my golden years. I might aspire to become a shihan by the time they're ready to graduate from high school. I still have other goals than children and other martial arts to consider outside of karate, but that's my biggest reason for taking traditional karate.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I started training because I was a 14 year old who wanted to be able to fight.

I stayed in training because I wanted to finish something I started (get to black belt).

I stayed after black belt because I wanted to teach and improve myself.

I train now because, as it has been said before, I can't NOT train now.

Karate is such a part of who I am, if you take martial arts away from that equation, the whole would collapse on itself.

Latest Discussions