Why do you train?

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nowadays it is to stay fit, strong and flexible - plus, the philosophical and spiritual aspects inspire my lifestyle.

When I started it was to improve my fighting ability. We lived in a rough area and fighting on a daily basis was normal. Studying Karate got me fitter and more flexible and this was brilliant. The actual martial techniques were next to useless though when it came to fighting in the street.

Another reason I continue training is the concepts behind the techniques. There are certain principles which apply to all fighting methods and techniques. Studying these ideas keeps me intrigued. It is great fun stripping down moves and discovering what makes them work.

And, the final reason is the teaching. Sharing the lessons of a lifetime with others is extremely rewarding. The more we teach, the more we learn. It is a reciprocal relationship that keeps me pursuing these strange fighting and spiritual traditions/practices in the 21st century.

How about the rest of you - why do you still train?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nowadays it is to stay fit, strong and flexible - plus, the philosophical and spiritual aspects inspire my lifestyle.

When I started it was to improve my fighting ability. We lived in a rough area and fighting on a daily basis was normal. Studying Karate got me fitter and more flexible and this was brilliant. The actual martial techniques were next to useless though when it came to fighting in the street.

Another reason I continue training is the concepts behind the techniques. There are certain principles which apply to all fighting methods and techniques. Studying these ideas keeps me intrigued. It is great fun stripping down moves and discovering what makes them work.

And, the final reason is the teaching. Sharing the lessons of a lifetime with others is extremely rewarding. The more we teach, the more we learn. It is a reciprocal relationship that keeps me pursuing these strange fighting and spiritual traditions/practices in the 21st century.

How about the rest of you - why do you still train?
I train because it has become habit; but more than that, I train because it is my path.

I train because my dojo, and my dojo family, are my respite, my 'happy place', against the world and the indignities of aging, which grind me down.

I volunteer my time to teach, because children ought not to be bullied or made victims, and if I can help with overcoming that, I want to.

I teach because I remember the positive adult role models I had growing up, and I want to be a positive adult role model as well.

I teach because I made a commitment to do so and I honor my obligations.

I also like karate. I am endlessly fascinated by all it has to offer.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
why do you still train?
I try to maintain my MA skill/ability as long as I can. I have always believed that if I keep working on my single leg balance, the chance for me to fall down during my senior year will be less.

This is the single leg balance drill that I like to do everyday.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I try to maintain my MA skill/ability as long as I can. I have always believed that if I keep working on my single leg balance, the chance for me to fall down during my senior year will be less.

This is the single leg balance drill that I like to do everyday.

Probably right. Or if you carry on like the guy here, you might fall down more ....but you'd be a lot less likely to hurt yourself!

Latest Discussions