Why do we use long moves

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As far as I can tell most northern Chinese systems utilize really "long" moves and stances that seem to transcend practicality. I have been told that we use long stances simply to increase the exercise benefits and power of our legs. But what about all the long blocks that seem to take forever to get to where they are going? I try to understand the applications of all the moves in the forms I learn and I can use (or at least understand how to use) most of them, but it seems like it would be far better to shorten them 90% of the time. Yet so many systems use the idea of long techniques, so they must have some practical purpose right? Anyone have any ideas?
Full range of motion is a good way to practice. Add a weapon and it would be impractical to use the shorter moves anyway; so, my guess is that these styles developed from weapons training.
Sean

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
It has been my experience that the best way to block a kick is… well… with a kick or legs. If the hands are involved with kicks generally it is not a block, per say, but a redirection or a taking of control, if you will, but you are not blocking it and by blocking I mean stopping it from hitting you by putting your arm or hand in the way. But it is not outside the realm of possibility if that is all you have at the moment to stop a kick form hitting something vital.

Legs blocks are quick and effect as are stop kicks. I have seen the effectiveness of a properly applied stop kick in a Spring Festival tournament my teacher held. The class wound man you know that guy who is always getting hurt even though he's not doing anything wrong) tried to lay a thigh kick into his opponent. His opponent applied a perfect front Monkey kick as a stop and broke his tibia. It was quite disturbing to see I can tell you.

There are many hand movements in Taiji that are misinterpreted as blocks for kicks when in reality in application they are more for taking control of your opponent and/or breaking his elbow or throwing and/or pushing away. There are also a few punches to the legs but they are not defensive they are offensive so I would not call them blocks and that is more along the lines of attempting to disable your opponents ability to kick.

There is an excellent target on the outside of the thigh, I think it is Kidney 21 or 24 in TCM theory, for this sort of attack. The snake form that I know has a number of techniques that attack this point. The attacks are made with the hands but I think an elbow would put you guy down for a very long time.