Why do people join Martial Arts

Eric Daniel

Green Belt
Reaction score
Why do people join Martial arts? Is it to get in shape? Is to gain confidence? Is it to know how to defend yourself? Is it because they saw a movie, thought it was interesting and decided they wanted to learn how to do what they did in the movie? I think people join for all these reasons. I also know that a movie about martial arts is NOT neccesarilly the way you practice a martial art because in a movie the fight scene is rehearsed many times.
what is your perspective?

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First off welcome to the forums.

You are right we all have our own reasons for doing martial arts. Long ago I got started in it because I wanted to learn how to defend myself. Now for me its just a part of my life, something that I get satisfaction out of. Also I look at the postive impact it's had on my life and I want to be able to impact others like that, so my ultimate goal is to teach.

What made you want to start?

Again welcome to the forums. Happy posting.

-Josh

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I joined to get in shape. Now, a few years later, I stay for the fun of it. I enjoy meeting people in the club, learning new stuff and travelling and competing.

What's not to love? Fun, friends, travel...it has it all!
smile.gif

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You're right. People join for many reasons. I personally joined initially to get back into shape. Little did I know at the time, it would become a central point in my life. Not for just me, but for my whole family.

Welcome to MT. Anything you need, don't be afraid to ask.

Regards,

Gemini

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My kids started, I thought it looked like fun and not that hard... (boy was I wrong!) LOL! So I joined and it is still a part of my life today.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wanted to join because of HK action movies...seriously.

It's not that I didn't know that MA is a discipline and required work and dedication, I just wanted to do it because of Bruce Lee.

Some 25 years after that, I actually joined MA and joined because I wanted some added focus in my life and I didn't want to be a flabby old man. I wanted art and skill. To me, MA is both.

Welcome to the forum,

egg

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bruce Lee, Karate Kid, Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers, Dragon Ball Z....

Depends on what generation you are from, but I'd say those 5 probably cover the biggest chunks of people who started training ;)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well unlike everybody else I joined for no choice it was a major part of my father life, so it became a major part of my life, now I train today for the fact of the ground work my father brought to the table for all of us kids. Martial Arts is just not kicking and punching for me it has become my way of looking at the world around me, you tend to see the good in people instead of the bad like most, you also tend to see the best in the everything you do, you tend to appreciate life as a whole.

That is why we live the MA way and that is what we strive to bring out in everybody.
Terry Lee Stoker

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i joined because i had been studying zen buddhism for about 5 years, i had read lots of stories about martial arts helping people to attain a zen mind.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have always had the warrior heart, even as a child. I found the art I train in as a teen. It wasn't until I was an adult that I was able to actually train in it. I don't do it for fitness, I go to the gym for that. To me it is like therapy! ;) Now it is part of my life. I see budo in everything, I do.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Partially that as I get older I wanted to do something to keep in shape.

Partially because I'd already gotten my kids into it and it was a good way to help them out.

Partialy I admit that I watch a lot of cheesy movies and I notice that people usually aren't ready for the homicidal killer (women being chased through the woods wearinf old their nightgowns) or being transported back in time to face medieval warriors or dinosaurs or androids from the future or something. So I figured that if I was ever if a tough jam like that...knowing some hand to hand combat skills would be pretty useful.

OP
E

Eric Daniel

Green Belt
Reaction score
wow, thanks for the responses and welcoming me to this forum. I am glad to be part of this forum. I started martial arts for two reasons; to get in shape and because I watched a lot of martial art movies and I thought it would be cool to do those kind of things I saw in the movies.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eric Daniel said:
wow, thanks for the responses and welcoming me to this forum. I am glad to be part of this forum. I started martial arts for two reasons; to get in shape and because I watched a lot of martial art movies and I thought it would be cool to do those kind of things I saw in the movies.
Just as an FYI, if you truely wanted to do the cool things you see in the movies, you could have chosen acting. What you see in the movies has very little resemblance to what you would learn for self defense or hand-to-hand combat.

Theatrics <> Combat

C

CrankyDragon

I work in corrections, thus my primary desire was for personal protection, without the dependency of strike and blows, which Nihon Goshin Aikido provides ample techniques to defend yourself and control the attacker without ever "hitting" them, perfect from a liability standpoint. Additionally, theres something "magical" about Aikido, to expend so little energy of your own to send your attacker flying though the air, its just "magic" like! :)

Additionally, I am 38 and need to get my **** in better shape. Ive lost 12 pounds since I started about 5 months ago, and I feel 100% better all the way around.

Finally, Aiki-Do being a way of life, the phylosophy (Sp? I CANT SPELL!) aspect of it will benefit you on a daily basis. Every day I do Aikido, and I have yet to be attacked. :supcool:

Take care all,
Andrew

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
NGAzone said:
I work in corrections, thus my primary desire was for personal protection..... Every day I do Aikido, and I have yet to be attacked.
Attackers look for victims. People who feel confident often carry themselves with confidence, even when they don't know it. That makes you a poor choice for an attacker. I'd say I hope your good luck continues, but I doubt luck has much to do with it.

Regards.

C

CrankyDragon

Gemini said:
Attackers look for victims. People who feel confident often carry themselves with confidence, even when they don't know it. That makes you a poor choice for an attacker. I'd say I hope your good luck continues, but I doubt luck has much to do with it.

Regards.
Yes, and no. I work in a juvi system, but some of these "kids" can make 2 of me! Thats a lot to hold on to, or have charge at you! We handle them from 7 to 17 (17 and 11 months and 23 hours, then they are shipped to jail).

And your right, the way you carry yourself, wether you realize it or not, speaks more than words, Ive seen it with other staff.

Andrew

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Eric Daniel said:
Why do people join Martial arts? Is it to get in shape? Is to gain confidence? Is it to know how to defend yourself? Is it because they saw a movie, thought it was interesting and decided they wanted to learn how to do what they did in the movie? I think people join for all these reasons. I also know that a movie about martial arts is NOT neccesarilly the way you practice a martial art because in a movie the fight scene is rehearsed many times.
what is your perspective?

why did i join? because where i grew up, little league was about parents reliving their childhood through their kids and the Scout master was a pedophile. kinda narrowed it down. :)

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Many of us have experience of "bullies" as a part of our life. No one wants to be a victim. Martial arts do give you confidence and gives you experience in learning to defending yourself.

Today I enjoy teaching and sharing our knowledge of life with the younger students. Verbal judo / avoidance is something that is growing in my part to share with the class.

Why I join? To learn to fight back ( younger days). As you get older it's the excerise that means alot. .................Aloha

Latest Discussions