Martial art and movies

Eric Daniel

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys
I started a thread about why people join martial arts and I got many responses so I thought I would post another thread. Now, including me, many people have joined the martial arts because of what they see in the movies with Chuck Norris, Steven Seagal, Jeff Speakman, Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee, and many other martial artist who are also actors. Now I am pretty sure that in the movies the fight scenes are rehearsed. Movies are for entertainment! Martial arts in life are not the same as a movie.
I would like to here your thoughts on this subject, please post

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well Martial movie are entertaining at best, but the problem is people get the wrong ideal about Martial Arts. They believe in what they see 25 on one and the one true Ma guys always wins. One of the best movies ever is Best of the Best starring Eric Roberts and Phillip Rhee it shows the commentment ones makes and the hard training that is evolved in the Arts, now movie like that are both entertaining and some what relistic. Now don't get me wrong I loved the flying Gillatine and old movies like that, and the One and Jackie Chan is one person I enjoy watching. Martial Law with samu was great for a weekly TV show and Texas Ranger with Chuck Norris was Ok. All in all the MA movies are ok with me.

Terry Lee Stoker

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eric Daniel said:
Hey guys
I started a thread about why people join martial arts and I got many responses so I thought I would post another thread. Now, including me, many people have joined the martial arts because of what they see in the movies with Chuck Norris, Steven Seagal, Jeff Speakman, Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee, and many other martial artist who are also actors. Now I am pretty sure that in the movies the fight scenes are rehearsed. Movies are for entertainment! Martial arts in life are not the same as a movie.
I would like to here your thoughts on this subject, please post
The thing to consider about martial arts in the movies is that it is just theatrics. To make martial arts look good for cinema, you hav e to open up the interaction between the participants so that the camera can actually see what is going on. In real life the confrontation would happen much faster and in a more compact space so a camera wouldn't get much and the people watching would get even less for entertainment. Not only that, to make a fight sequence more appealing you have to not only make it bigger on the ground, you have to give it a much longer time segment. The next movie you watch where they are say... Sword fighting... Watch closely, they are not actually attempting to strike the other person, they simply smack each other's blades (over and over). It looks impressive cinematically but it is harmless realistically (like two kids whacking sticks together).

As for other fighting sequences, I find it really loses it entertainment value when I see two people stand there and take turns slugging each other's faces. Anyway, those my thoughts on the subject.

BTW, I got a lot of info from a special that was on Discovery or Learning Channel about the history of martial arts in the movies. It was pretty good.

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I enjoy Jackie Chan, because He will include his mistakes in the blooper reels. I shows that He is choregraphing the moves, and what goes wrong, and the many times He had to practice those moves.

Kinda takes the "magic" out of the movie, and puts in some realism.

I am sad that He chose to use wires in his last couple of movies, but he is getting older.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whatever gets people through the door is GREAT! That's the first step. But they need to be open-minded and receptive...no matter WHAT they are expecting to find. If so, they won't go away dissapointed or empty-handed.

Your Brother
John

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
One of the best movies ever is Best of the Best starring Eric Roberts and Phillip Rhee
That is my favorite martial arts movie as well, Terry. In fact, one of my favorite movies, period.

Some may say it's a bit cheesy or a bit heavy-handed in its message but I'd rather see it any day than Seagal's "You messed with my family. Nobody messes with my family" followed by the 47 locks of death.

The movie has heart and a message that espouses the true martial arts. I wish it was a more widely known movie.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Eric Daniel said:
Movies are for entertainment! Martial arts in life are not the same as a movie.
true but movies played a huge role in advertising and educating people about MAs, plus there is a lot of movies that were aimed at showing the beauty and effectiveness of certain martial arts, Ong-Bak being one of them [tonyjaa.org]

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
That is my favorite martial arts movie as well, Terry. In fact, one of my favorite movies, period.

Some may say it's a bit cheesy or a bit heavy-handed in its message
Yeah, the first "Best of the Best" was a pretty good movie. At least that one had a decent story line, and didn't rely on too much camera work for the fights. The rest of the series isn't worth watching.

I think where some people get a bit negative on the first movie is in the nationalistic stereotyping they did for the Koreans. Then again, since I'm Korean, I don't necessarily consider the stereotypes an insult. :)

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I was only meaning the first Best of the Best. Almost any sequel or remake of a movie is worse than the original. It is most often not even made by the same people, just the studio using a name it now owns to capitalize on the first movie's recognizability.

There are a few exception, of course, such as Spider-Man 2. No martial arts sequel or remakes that are better than the original jump immediately to mind.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
damn people, how can you leave out ralph maccio? :idunno:

actually for me it is elizabeth shue. i still have dreams of her licking my wounds after a fight. :)

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nah, I'll gladly give some credit to the first Karate Kid. Hollywood though it may be, it proceeded with some good lessons. Best of the Best far outshone it in terms of the definition of true "winning" but it was good overall.

I'm sure it also pulled a lot of kids into martial arts which is never a bad thing. We can't teach them about true martial arts if they don't show up.

As for Elisabeth Shue...ummm, yeah...the woman has been graced with The Lungs of Heaven (is that an ancient Chinese phrase?) :asian: :rolleyes:

G

guromkb

BILLY JACK....when I saw that flick as a squirt I imediately wanted to train. I'm still trying to figure out why he took those boots and that knife off when he went into the park to rumble....LOL

OP
E

Eric Daniel

Green Belt
Reaction score
A movie I saw that might draw kids into martial arts is the 3 ninjas. It has kids doing all kinds of martial art moves and has the kids's grandpa teaching very valuable lessons on martial arts, so if you have any kids and want to show them a good martial art movie for kids; get the 3 ninjas.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I personally like Jackie Chan's newer movies- sorry, I'm not into anything "serious" when it comes to MA movies. 3 Ninjas, and the Karate Kid movies were entertaining as well.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am enraged by Ralph Maccio for one reason and one reason only. I tell people that I do martial arts and suddenly, I'm the Karate kid....... I've never done karate, never been in a karate tournament, never even stepped inside a karate dojo! STOP CALLING ME THIS!!!!

But I'm quite sure I'm not the only one on the forum or otherwise that's had this happen.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
oh definitely, it's just annoying that every time people see a martial artist, they see Maccio