Why do many Western TMA practitioners use fancy BS instead of straightforward simple techniques?

Bullsherdog

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I watched Grand Theft Auto (the 1970s movie, not the games) now and the ending scene featured a rich boy who took some kung fu classes trying to do that crane stance only to get punched by a straight right.

It reminded me of a cliche in movies where a wannabe fighter tries to use some fancy kung fu technique only to get KOd by a simple slap or punch or hammerfist by his untrained opponent.

Now I notice IRL many practitioners of traditional martial arts mentality. Use unnecessary movements (many which should only be used by advanced fighters and even than only under specific circumstances). A common example is using a roundhouse as the first launching move only to get leg grabbed and taken down or punched before you can hit your enemy with it. Rather than simply doing an effective straight forward strike like a stomp on the knee or open palm fist or even a backhanded slap.

Its gotten ridiculous enough that even against out of shape people who lack the will to fight such as a nerd or a preppy girl, I seen people who boast about taking karate or some other TMA get KO'd knocked down by a cheerleader because they tried to use slow fancy movments that take too long too launch such as a moving arms around in a tai chi movement instead of just doing a hammerfist.

Now the reason I mentioned this is because in addition to watching Grand Theft Auto, I read Kenichi:History's Strongest Disciple. This manga is full of martial arts practitioners who practised complex styles at a how level that they can do stuff like Superman punch and reverse spinning kicks with ease and effectiveness. However the fact is they ONLY SAVE these complex moves under specific circumstances such as an opponent showing an opening or ambushing a bodyguard from above a stack of crate boxes.

Instead for combats against lower level opponents, they use moves so simplistic such as a simple right straight or a headlock. Even fights between masters spend more of their time using fundamental practical moves like frontal kicks than fancy roundhouses and tai chi swinging movements.

For example one of the rivals to the protagonist, Hermit, uses Bajiquan as his primary style. Indeed in his first fight with Kenichi much of his strikes involve swinging movements that are difficult to do and requires specific training, looking as flowery as movies show.

However when he confronted a henchman........

He simply bitchslaps her with a backhand strike instead of the flailing fancy moves of Bajiquan. The henchmen hits a wall and gets KOd.

In addition as the vid shows despite using advanced techniques during most of their fight, Kenichi knocks out his opponent with a timed regular straight punch.

THe manga is full of this where trained martial artist might use advanced stuff like TKD jump kicks in certain situations and against other highly trained fighters but they use simplistic attacks against soemone lowly like a bully or a nerdy troublemaker who's spreading gossip. In fights between masters, more basic blows like hooks are thrown than complex techniques and master level duels often end with something as simplistic as breaking another master's legs with a stomp attack.

Even those practising crippling overspecialization styles that are impractical such as Pro wrestling are at least showing using bare bones movements most of the time. For example Kisara practises Sports TKD and she typically uses a lot of jump kicks. However during an incident where her minion pisses her off, she was sitting on a couch. Rather than jumping off the couch to do a fancy gymnastics kick, she simply thrusts her right leg forward on the failed subordinate's body while sitting on the couch, knocking him down without getting off the couch. And while jump kicks and impractical stuff are her typical movements against trained fighters, against small fries she just ends it quickly by breaking the legs with front kicks and other straight forwards techniques.

This makes me wonder why so many Westerners who go into traditional martial arts over focus on complex movements (most which only advanced students could execute properly and under specific scenarios) rather than just a backfist or other simple attacks? I mean I even know an abusive blackbelt who would often do roundhouses or other needless movements rather than simply slapping his wife when punishing her!

How come many Westerners have this mentality when they enter martial arts? I mean even an unrealistic manga such as Kenichi (full of chi power, superhuman abilities, and plenty of jump kicks and other cool looking techniques)............ SHOWS fighters using simplistic straightforward attacks against inferiors and even use more basic movements in typical fights against trained opponents than fancy advanced stuff!

I am curious why do many Westerners going into TMAs have this mentality? Not just in movies but in real life even against people who could easily be smacked around (such as the wife of the abusive blackbelt)? Its so ridiculous many Western TMA practitioners try stuff like Tai Chi movements and getting KOd because they flail around!

I mean in Asia dojo masters often just use slaps and other simple movements to put down rowdy students even in styles over reliant on impractical movments (such as acrobatic Wushu)! How come many in the West lack the common sense to simply do backhanded slaps to get to the point instead of trying to do a spinning elbow or reverse spinning kick (as Hermit does in the video)?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Must be many who watch movies, video games, and cartoons get caught up in them and can't quite make out the difference in fantasy and real life.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why don't you turn off the TV and the playstatipn and swap the cartoons for real training instead of asking these silly questions

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is a drilling issue. I probably could just chop people down with a left hook. But after the third or fourth different scenario people will start looking at me funny. So instead I start to go a little crazy.

After a while crazy is the new norm.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Feeling troll'd by the OP post. Simply too blatantly obvious. Maybe he likes it here more than bullsheeodo or sherdog's MMA website.
And for that reason, Im out.

[with few sharks remaining, will Bullsherdog get the affirmation, attention and recognition, that his ego longs for? find out after the commercial break]

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Feeling troll'd by the OP post. Simply too blatantly obvious. Maybe he likes it here more than bullsheeodo or sherdog's MMA website.
And for that reason, Im out.

[with few sharks remaining, will Bullsherdog get the affirmation, attention and recognition, that his ego longs for? find out after the commercial break]
He’s the current village idiot. There’s been many before him, and there will be many after him. That’s the one and only undisputible fact I know about this place. :)

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Today, I learned that karate doesn't involve punches or hammerfists after all. Thank you, internet!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
After a lengthy Manga study I have discovered that If you're good...real good...all you need is

tumblr_nnnssaQHtC1t1656jo1_500.gif

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It reminded me of a cliche in movies where a wannabe fighter tries to use some fancy kung fu technique only to get KOd by a simple slap or punch or hammerfist by his untrained opponent.

Now I notice IRL many practitioners of traditional martial arts mentality. Use unnecessary movements (many which should only be used by advanced fighters and even than only under specific circumstances). A common example is using a roundhouse as the first launching move only to get leg grabbed and taken down or punched before you can hit your enemy with it. Rather than simply doing an effective straight forward strike like a stomp on the knee or open palm fist or even a backhanded slap.

You think the roundhouse kick is an advanced move with limited circumstances in when it is useful. That's hilarious.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I watched Grand Theft Auto (the 1970s movie, not the games) now and the ending scene featured a rich boy who took some kung fu classes trying to do that crane stance only to get punched by a straight right.

Its gotten ridiculous enough that even against out of shape people who lack the will to fight such as a nerd or a preppy girl, I seen people who boast about taking karate or some other TMA get KO'd knocked down by a cheerleader because they tried to use slow fancy movments that take too long too launch such as a moving arms around in a tai chi movement instead of just doing a hammerfist.

Now the reason I mentioned this is because in addition to watching Grand Theft Auto, I read Kenichi:History's Strongest Disciple. This manga is full of martial arts practitioners who practised complex styles at a how level that they can do stuff like Superman punch and reverse spinning kicks with ease and effectiveness. However the fact is they ONLY SAVE these complex moves under specific circumstances such as an opponent showing an opening or ambushing a bodyguard from above a stack of crate boxes.

Instead for combats against lower level opponents, they use moves so simplistic such as a simple right straight or a headlock. Even fights between masters spend more of their time using fundamental practical moves like frontal kicks than fancy roundhouses and tai chi swinging movements.

For example one of the rivals to the protagonist, Hermit, uses Bajiquan as his primary style. Indeed in his first fight with Kenichi much of his strikes involve swinging movements that are difficult to do and requires specific training, looking as flowery as movies show.

However when he confronted a henchman........

He simply bitchslaps her with a backhand strike instead of the flailing fancy moves of Bajiquan. The henchmen hits a wall and gets KOd.

In addition as the vid shows despite using advanced techniques during most of their fight, Kenichi knocks out his opponent with a timed regular straight punch.

THe manga is full of this where trained martial artist might use advanced stuff like TKD jump kicks in certain situations and against other highly trained fighters but they use simplistic attacks against soemone lowly like a bully or a nerdy troublemaker who's spreading gossip. In fights between masters, more basic blows like hooks are thrown than complex techniques and master level duels often end with something as simplistic as breaking another master's legs with a stomp attack.

Even those practising crippling overspecialization styles that are impractical such as Pro wrestling are at least showing using bare bones movements most of the time. For example Kisara practises Sports TKD and she typically uses a lot of jump kicks. However during an incident where her minion pisses her off, she was sitting on a couch. Rather than jumping off the couch to do a fancy gymnastics kick, she simply thrusts her right leg forward on the failed subordinate's body while sitting on the couch, knocking him down without getting off the couch. And while jump kicks and impractical stuff are her typical movements against trained fighters, against small fries she just ends it quickly by breaking the legs with front kicks and other straight forwards techniques.

This makes me wonder why so many Westerners who go into traditional martial arts over focus on complex movements (most which only advanced students could execute properly and under specific scenarios) rather than just a backfist or other simple attacks? I mean I even know an abusive blackbelt who would often do roundhouses or other needless movements rather than simply slapping his wife when punishing her!

How come many Westerners have this mentality when they enter martial arts? I mean even an unrealistic manga such as Kenichi (full of chi power, superhuman abilities, and plenty of jump kicks and other cool looking techniques)............ SHOWS fighters using simplistic straightforward attacks against inferiors and even use more basic movements in typical fights against trained opponents than fancy advanced stuff!

I am curious why do many Westerners going into TMAs have this mentality? Not just in movies but in real life even against people who could easily be smacked around (such as the wife of the abusive blackbelt)? Its so ridiculous many Western TMA practitioners try stuff like Tai Chi movements and getting KOd because they flail around!

I mean in Asia dojo masters often just use slaps and other simple movements to put down rowdy students even in styles over reliant on impractical movments (such as acrobatic Wushu)! How come many in the West lack the common sense to simply do backhanded slaps to get to the point instead of trying to do a spinning elbow or reverse spinning kick (as Hermit does in the video)?

I can't tell if you're looking at anime as a metaphor, or literally saying that TMA sucks because some anime dude tried an "advanced" move and got a beat down.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
After a lengthy Manga study I have discovered that If you're good...real good...all you need is

tumblr_nnnssaQHtC1t1656jo1_500.gif
That only works on the untrained. You think a trained fighter is going to weight that much, or be pink? He's just bullying some sick kid.

Last edited:

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
maybe im showing my age here but back in the day, the arcade game "Karate Champ" the front kick won every time. some times i would mix in a round kick but the front kick ....if done right no can defend. i wonder why MMA doesnt use the front kick more?

upload_2018-9-10_15-56-6.png

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
maybe im showing my age here but back in the day, the arcade game "Karate Champ" the front kick won every time. some times i would mix in a round kick but the front kick ....if done right no can defend. i wonder why MMA doesnt use the front kick more?

View attachment 21756

Some nice examples, including Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida.

Latest Discussions