why do beginners question there instructors

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't ask questions when Sensei explains a technique. But when he stops me coz I am doing it wrong I often ask questions to better understand. English is not my first language, thus sometimes I miss the point...I am afraid in few situations Sensei (I can tell by the answer) thinks I try to second guess him, but actually I just want to make sure what he is saying...

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Cause you in N. America baby. The land of "because I told you to" just is'nt easy to digest. Not always a bad thing, but can get a tad frustrating!!!

1stJohn1:9

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't mind questions as long as they don't interrupt the lesson. I've had students that questioned everything I told them. Some of the questions can be easily answered but then it can get to a point where, "you're just going to have to trust me" has to be the response. Then, in time, they discover I was right (most of the time), have an "ohhh" moment and the questions diminish as a result.

A lot of it can be a trust building issue and trying to confirm your competence. Blind trust isn't something that's very prevalent in this society.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A lot of it can be a trust building issue and trying to confirm your competence. Blind trust isn't something that's very prevalent in this society.

And it shouldn't be, thats what got us stuck in the dark ages for a few hundred years ;)

Latest Discussions