why do beginners question there instructors

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been reading other post topics and see where alot of beginners are questioning why the instructors won't give private to beginners and why they can't come play with the big boys. My question to you on this forum if you are a instructor or not when you was coming up through the ranks where you allow to question your instructor,second guest him or did you do what they ask you to do. I know me, I just did what they told me for they knew more than me. Please try and keep on topic, for me this is becoming a serious problem in today MA world. not at my school but at alot of school I go and visit. Last if a student talks back to you in a bad way during class how would you handle the stituation in front of the other students. GOD BLESS AMERICA :mp5: :flame: :idunno: :whip:

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
I have been reading other post topics and see where alot of beginners are questioning why the instructors won't give private to beginners and why they can't come play with the big boys. My question to you on this forum if you are a instructor or not when you was coming up through the ranks where you allow to question your instructor,second guest him or did you do what they ask you to do. I know me, I just did what they told me for they knew more than me. Please try and keep on topic, for me this is becoming a serious problem in today MA world. not at my school but at alot of school I go and visit. Last if a student talks back to you in a bad way during class how would you handle the stituation in front of the other students. GOD BLESS AMERICA :mp5: :flame: :idunno: :whip:
I have always been able to question my instructor and welcome questions in my dojo. I have always did what they have told me to do but if I ever doubted the technique than I would question it and I still do, most of the times my doubts are quickly turned to beliefs. But if you do have to question your instructor do so in a respectful manner, or you may bel lying down for quite a long time, or kicked out of the school. And finally if a student talks back they are out of the school without question.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is a HUGE, marked difference between asking questions and second guessing.
Questions: Very good.
Second guessing: Very Bad.

my thoughts
Your Brother
John

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi.
There is a very good article on sanjosekenpo.com about teaching or why they cant (some of the black belts)

It is under articles and is titled "Why can't they teach?" It is written by Dr. Sumner, 8th Dan in the Tracy's Kenpo.

He says simply, teaching is a science just like Kenpo.

I found it very interesting.

Regards, Gary

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Feeling is believing. Fortunately whenever I don't understand my instructor has been able to demonstrate. I also find that frequently when a student asks questions or doesn't understand, others in the class also didn't understand. For me, the problem is when a student continually interupts the flow of class. With these students I try to structure time to solve the problem

Jeff

S

sifu nick

I always welcome questions when I teach. Sometimes I might forget to mention some particular part of a technique so I think it is good when the student asks.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My instructor has always allowed and encouraged questions. When I ask why about some motions, he shows me what happens when done that way and what happens when not, so I see/feel the difference and understand the reasons.

- Ceicei

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Americans and Westerners tend to be very analytical people. We do not grow up with a "do not question your Instructor" mentality, unlike many Orientals. Oriental culture is very different-different influences and mentalities. To question your elders or superiors is considered disrespectful and rude.
I remember my Instructor telling me years ago that when he first joined Tae Kwon Do, he thought he had joined a cult. His Instructor told him flat out "do not question me". Much like Mr. Miyagi from the Karate Kid telling Daniel-san "I say, you do-no questions!"
Even today, there are a limited amount of questions I will tolerate from students. I will answer (usually) "How?" questions when appropriate. I will often answer "Why?" questions with "no questions-just practice." When the time comes, I will tell them or they will understand for themselves.
While curiosity is to be encouraged, I cannot allow classes to devolve into Western-style analysis sessions. There must be a certain amount of just listening to your instructor. Similarly, parents do not have to justify their every action to kids. They must be trusted to make the right decisions. Children will hopefully understand eventually why their parents made the decisions they did.
I know this attitude undoubtably clashes with the western-style "I can ask my Instructor anything" mentality of many posters, but I don't teach western style. I teach traditional style as much as possible.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi All!

I personally invite questions,I don't mind breaking the technique down into minute particles of motion. The "second guessing" thing drives me up a wall.
A teacher of mine once said,"My mind can't tell your body what it needs to know."

So,in short, my pontification on the subtleties of technique,will do you no good,so quit yer yappin' and start training!:whip:

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There have allready been some excellrnt posts on this topic.

I think another reason for the questions and second guessing is th e new students ego. I have allways welcomed questions, but it does get out of hand, sometimes.

How about a white belt with the WHAT_IF's
Or the Newbie with "Well I always fought this a way(Especiallty when you can see he never fought any a way)
Todd

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Why can't the beginners play with the 'big boys'?"

This issue is rarely a problem because the beginning, intermediate, and advanced students have their own classes.

- Ceicei

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LOL, we don't really get so much of the "why" questions. The "newbies" look over and see big breakfalls and want no part of it:)

Ego is definitely a factor, as in "MA are easy to learn,I could do it from a book, right?" uuummmm.....

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
"Why can't the beginners play with the 'big boys'?"

This issue is rarely a problem because the beginning, intermediate, and advanced students have their own classes.

- Ceicei

Ceicei,

This is true, yet for those cases when it is a small club and all the students are in the same class, I explain that the beginners would not gain anything from the "Big Boy" Work out or pratice. If a Black Belt or senior ranks works with the Beginner and the Senior is doing or practicing their timing and skills the beginner does not get a chance to move, and would not learn. Yet when everyone works on the the basics or fundamentals, then working with the senior helps them learn at a teaching pace or at a beginner pace.

As to questions, these are always good. Even wondering if something will work, which some will consider second guessing. Our club has always then demonstrated that it will work if done properly by someone. Yes, this may be consider not good pratice, yet most stay, for they have seen or felt it work, when they tried to resist.

Just my thoughts

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
There have allready been some excellrnt posts on this topic.

I think another reason for the questions and second guessing is th e new students ego. I have allways welcomed questions, but it does get out of hand, sometimes.

How about a white belt with the WHAT_IF's
Or the Newbie with "Well I always fought this a way(Especiallty when you can see he never fought any a way)
Todd
I like what if's. I usually say "well lets see" , as I say feeling is believing.

Jeff

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"What if's"

I am taking this as a "what if the attacker does this,what should I do" kind of of thing.

My answer is and always will be "pay attention". It's harder than it seems:)

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:
I like what if's. I usually say "well lets see" , as I say feeling is believing.

Jeff
LOL... you sound like my instructor :D.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that there has to be order to class. Questions should be limited to the how and limited and respectful of the instructor. He doesn't have to answer why - the training provides the why. I have seen teenagers who go on excessively talking, asking questions but more for trying to get attention for themselves. I remember sitting in "lectures" alot. When something gets out of control, like talking noise, there was a lecture. Or there was a talk after class with the master about proper behavior. It seems this is a problem of young adults more who question their elders, thinking that they know more somehow and want to press their viewpoint. They are not teaching however, they are beginners there to learn. That is one of the requirements of a student, be receptive to learning and that may mean shutting up and do what is asked without "argumentative questions" which are not respectful of the teacher. TW

R

rmcrobertson

1. Because Americans often confuse having an opinion with having something to say.

2. Because people, especially young men and established professional-class men, are unwilling to admit that martial arts training intimitidates and scares them.

3. Because a lot of contemporary martial arts (just like always, I suspect) has promulgated a lot of dumbass behavior. Then--as was mentioned elsewhere--there's the whole male ego thing.

4. After a lot of missteps, which I of course continue to make, I pretty much try to run group classes so that students can't get enough extra air to ask a lotta dumbass questions.

Latest Discussions