Why 'Chunners aren't good fighters...

Poor Uke

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oooo those MMA bastards come around here with their proof....bastards!!!

LOL just kidding :)

Poor Uke

Green Belt
Reaction score
For what its worth. Judo is fun but wing chun contains several very effective throws that actually are effective and work in fights. Also many locking methods as well.

For example look at you tube vids of the judo olympic competition. How many fancy hip throws etc do you see when the opponent is skilled and resisting?

The best fighting system is the one that you are most comfortable with. Wing Chun has always worked for me but it wont for everyone.

The weakness is most wing chun training is the use of proper body structure and the lower body while moving at speed. Most wing chun teachers focus on the cool flashy hand things and not on what really powers and makes wing chun work. With the knowledge of the use of the lower body wing chun will never really pay off as a fighting method when faced with trained opponents.

Hi hunt1, what brand of Wing Chun do you train?

I have never encountered any throws in WC/WT/VT that havent been lifted whole sale form another MA. I was under the impression that trad WC doesnt have throws.

As for locks I have always thought that Chi Sau and lock flow drills (a la small circle JJ, JJJ and FMA) were made for each other but wasnt aware that locks were taught at all in WC rather left for the student to work out themselves.

Yes I am aware of Chin na before somebody pipes up I'm just curious which branch of WC has kept this skill.

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi hunt1, what brand of Wing Chun do you train?

I have never encountered any throws in WC/WT/VT that havent been lifted whole sale form another MA. I was under the impression that trad WC doesnt have throws.

As for locks I have always thought that Chi Sau and lock flow drills (a la small circle JJ, JJJ and FMA) were made for each other but wasnt aware that locks were taught at all in WC rather left for the student to work out themselves.

Yes I am aware of Chin na before somebody pipes up I'm just curious which branch of WC has kept this skill.

They happen by simply following principles more often than they are taught...they come out as a biproduct of following the principles during Chisau or sparring. We used to work a few of them but they were NOT the focus of our intent....just options of what you could do if the lock was there.

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, Uke. lol!
I used to be the "ultimate" Uke when I took JJJ. funny how big strong guys like to throw a wee wisp of a gal all around the room to prove that their martial art works.

Ouch! **** that. never again do I have to defend and fight like that again, thank you very much!l lol!

This guy keeps coming up to my work asking me to go to his MMA/BJJ/Hapkido school to "spar".
Look, I just left a reeeeeaaaallly ****in bad realtionship and just want to work and pay bills and take care of my daugher. p.s. I don't have any medical insurance if I get hurt for some ******** "sparring" match.

hense probably why I take stuff so "personal" lol!
no room for error.

But, he seems a nice guy. lol! right. whatever. he's wanting me to come to his school and train, and trying to tell me that they have a "daycare" for my daughter. (sorry dudes, when I train, my baby girl is gonna be right there. she Loves kung fu)

Anyways, just another MMA guy that wants' to spar for free. But,,... I like him, he's not MMA, he's Hapkido, so I'll probably end up visiting his school later. After my "boxing" is "fixed" . Wooo! it's pretty bad! lol!
And after I get my control back, so I can spar without damage to others.

But, to awnser your question, yes,... I have sparred with you MMA folks a couple of times. Just this time I have to go to your school and follow your rulez, which I don't know those rules. I mean, I can nicely train and respectively lightly spar or whatever, but if your going to hit me, then ****!
I need to take my glasses off and take out my retainer because I'm not ****ing around when it comes to someone really trying to hit and hurt me. lol!
lol!
Whatever!

Sorry about the weird tanget. didn't mean to go there. I just don't want to go to another damn school and find out I'm fighting someone I don't even know because of their damn teachers! What a crock of ****!

If MA folks can't be civil.?~!

I don't want to 'play" anymore.
I only fight when I HAVE to. not for sport or money. and **** MMA! They just sold out the best MA for profit. Their bastards,
and deserve to.....

!!!!
I think I'll go see my "friend" that keeps coming up to my work and "talking" to me about coming to his school. either he wants to lure me there to have me be beat 2+to one or, maybe he's a good dude.

Hummmm.... I wonder wich? Guess Ill just have to have the balls to see. lol

p.s. I'm NOT bringing my daughter to the schools "day care". lol!
Me and baby girl go to Sifu's class once a week, and she's apart of class. She's a good girl and stays out of the way when folks get roudy, and sits with me to watch Sifu.

Bty mook jong man, this guy is really, really good! Totally different linage though. but, now their doing the form like SLT form like your lineage. neat.

love all ya'll!
Nikki

Hapkido is a Korean made and repackaged Japanese Jujutsu with heaping shovelfuls of Tae Kwon Do. They have some neat weapon stuff too. It is a really beautiful art to see and can make one a believer in wrist lock effectiveness! Coming from JJJ as you are, you likely will see similar stuff as you had in the past.

He likely wants you to come to his MMA gym for a few reasons....

1) You maybe told him how good and superior Wing Chun alone really is and how unrealistic and bad MMA is at some point or in more/less words. He wants to see it.

2) He thinks you are hot and wants to date you! :) (Heck, its every male martial artists dream to date a lady martial artist...'specially if she's a cutie!)

I think the sparring would be good for you after noting all the ****'s in your post Si-Je! :D That seems a lot out of character for your usual posting and a good spar may be what the doc ordered for ya! Have a friend or family member watch your kiddo and go blow off some steam already!

Good luck.

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hapkido as a base for MMA....wierd! Aside the Gracie's in action videos, I have not seen it used in MMA and thought it would be 50% useless for MMA with the small joint manipulations.

hunt1

Green Belt
Reaction score
Uke

The wing chun I teach is a blend of Ip Man family and Lo Kwai family. Lo Kwai was a studnet of Leung Jan. He taught his nephew, the nephew taught his son, the son taught me. ( abridged story) I combine all I know since I spent many years learning from several Ip Man sifu's first.

It is a shame more don't teach the throwing an locking. Ip Man taught it to some but most of his students wanted the fast hands and didn't really bother with the rest and Ip Man wasn't the type to argue with a student or waste time teaching something you didn't show interest in.

There is even a type of chi sau specifically to teach throwing locking and controlling the center of gravity of both the opponent and yours.

To avoid confusion we consider everything from single bridge arm in to be a type of chi sau. Some call certain things Kui Sau but all southern arts have kui sau(bridge arm ) training.

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
He likely wants you to come to his MMA gym for a few reasons....

1) You maybe told him how good and superior Wing Chun alone really is and how unrealistic and bad MMA is at some point or in more/less words. He wants to see it.

2) He thinks you are hot and wants to date you! :) (Heck, its every male martial artists dream to date a lady martial artist...'specially if she's a cutie!)

I think the sparring would be good for you after noting all the ****'s in your post Si-Je! :D That seems a lot out of character for your usual posting and a good spar may be what the doc ordered for ya! Have a friend or family member watch your kiddo and go blow off some steam already!

Good luck.

Oh, no, no! I'm MUCH more diplomatic in person. lol! I save all that WC is superior on it's own against MMA for you guys online! lol!
I've sparred even just lightly with some MMA guys before and other MA stylists. Always friendly. And they were always interested in what WC was doing and why they couldn't hit or kick me so easily. (I'm not perfect, ya know. I've been hit and kicked, even thrown before) ;)

I work at a little retail shop that he just happens to frequent (the past several years before I started working there.) I was bored one day (because it was reeeeallly slow) and was messing around walking through the isles doing stance stuff. Just goofing off (and no, I don't get embarrised looking like a weirdo doing basic stance and pivot stuff at work. although fellow employees think I'm weird.) lol!

I just started talking to me about MA and we chatted for a long time. Even showed him some WC deflections and he showed me some Hapkido stuff. (which I switched and told him how simlar to JJJ that was and blah, blah.) Told him I took small circle JJ and he really liked to know more about that.

etc... Very friendly. He's probably wanting to "hook up" as you say, but I dont' really get that "vibe" from him. I mean, yeah, hes a dude so you guys are almost ALWAYS looking for that option. But, it doesn't seem to be him main motivator. He's been to the store enough times since then and talked to me that if he wanted a "date" he would and could've asked for one.

Maybe he's sneaky. I don't know.
But, I'd really like to go and train friendly with a more "mixed" group of MA stylists so I could "play" with my understanding of wing chun in sparring or drilling and such with other stylists that aren't "compliant" or "following the rules" of wing chun. As so many often say is our "problem" in Wing Chun. lol! (enough "quotes" or you guys? lol!)

As for the MMA "proof". I have yet to see a video or whatever of a REAL wing chun fighter go against a MMA fighter. the WT guy in UFC didn't use any WT at all. AT ALL! whatever. still waiting for this "proof" the MMA folks keep screaching about. Just because someone says they train or know WT doesn't mean it's true.

:boing2:

As for the "throws" in WC/WT, I've learned a few WT teaches them, I think Fungs folks do a variant of throws in the form of breaking structure and such. But the joint locking and throwning is really mainly a "simptom" more than the origional intent of wing chun defence. It more or less kinda just "happens" depending on what energy your opponent gives you. You don't go for it like you do in JJJ. That took me a looooong time to train out of me. I kept wanting to force and "make" the joint lock happen like I could do so well in JJJ, but it doesn't work like that. It's almost like your opponent punches at your face, you deflect, their balance changes and you "help" them become unbalanced and then boom! you've got them in an armbar or a neck throw. Hard for me to explain in writing.

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
P.s.

Sorry about all the swearing. I haven't been allowed to swear at all for so long that I'm really taking advantage of the fact that I now can whenever I want too. Yes, a bit overkill even for me.

****, ****, ****ity... **** **** ****. lol!

Okay, I'll try to refrain from all that naughty talk. :)

As for sparring heavy, I've got to get to a doctor first, and a dentist before I do anything too rough. I've got a root canal needing to be done and a good solid punch to the side of my face would probably knock that sucker right out and save me about 1,800 bucks lol! But, that would still suck.

And a serious visit/s to the chiropractor + x-rays would be a great start before I get hard core physical. But some friendly sparring could be okay if folks don't get to uppity. That's mainly why I take getting hit hard in "certian" places a little too personally right now. dangerous for me, and just stupid to get injured sparring or in training when you don't have medical insurance.

And to boot, I'm a single mommie. I can't go getting myself seriously injured and not being able to work and take care of my kiddo. Just not worth all that. I like our new home and want to keep it and my job. These things make me not a big fan of sparring right now.

Poor Uke

Green Belt
Reaction score
They happen by simply following principles more often than they are taught...they come out as a biproduct of following the principles during Chisau or sparring. We used to work a few of them but they were NOT the focus of our intent....just options of what you could do if the lock was there.

Yep thats what I was taught but no real focus on locking just momentary control whilst you hit 'em.

hunt1 thanks for the reply I am always interested in the different variations of WC.

Latest Discussions