Why can't we?

Callandor

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't know in a real fight but during sparring, I find that when I use a low stance, my head gets kicked quite a bit more.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Some people have practiced the gyaku zuki from a zenkutsu dachi so well that they can easily incapacitate an opponent with one blow. My money's on the other guy though. Some people can use a front thrust kick well too. Not me.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've posted this in the Karate forum, but anyone can chime in, and please do...
I've been hearing a lot of talk about NOT using deep stances in an actual confrontation, and I am wondering why not? I understand the principle of using deep stances in the kata and in the Dojo to train the legs, and then using more shallow stances out in the black...
Why not use deep stances? I've used deep stances in Kumite, and I have found that I get hit LESS when I'm down in it...Granted, Kumite is still in the controlled atmosphere of the Dojo, but Kumite is supposed to be representative of confrontation isn't it? I understand not using deep stances when there isn't room, but even simply lowering oneself seems(to me) to be a good idea...The less target you present to your opponent, the better...right? Please keep in mind before you answer this thread that I have only been back to Karate for about two months, so I am relatively new to this idea(i.e. cut me some slack, I'm an idiot still)
That's it, fire away!
I don't know what size you are but just because they work for you doesn't mean you want everyone to to use them. The bigger you are, the more you can get away with. If you a facing a kicker whom is larger than you, your deep stances ain't going to help.
Sean

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A lower stance can increase your power when delivering a hand technique, provided you are doing it right. At that moment, a low stance could be appropriate, but would probably only be momentary, in the normal course of shifting your stances during the confrontation.

Yes, I agree. The purpose of the stances are not to remain in them for a long period of time, they are mainly transitions and you go from one to the other rather quickly. I would just say do what works best for you. Different people are proficient at doing different things, and this would apply to the chaotic and unpredictable nature of "real" fighting, too. One person may not be able to pull it off in that situation, but someone else may be able to do it perfectly in that situation. We are all different, so I don't buy into the across-the-board generalizations about what can or cannot be done in a "real" fight. We all have different abilities. Find out what you do best, and do it. If low stances work for you, then go for it.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The chaotic and unpredictable nature of "real" fighting, too.

And that also depends on what we mean by "real" fighting. Are we talking harmless romp in the schoolyard, free-for-all in a bar, suckerpunch on the street, being rushed by a gang on the steet, being confronted by an armed mugger, or being the poor sap who happens to be standing there when a hardcore criminal is having a bad day? With the exception of the first two, I wouldn't even bother, I would just use my head and try to get out of the situation as best I could. The third? You would probably be immobilized because you never saw it coming. Just do what you do best because you are ultimately going to revert to doing that anyways. That's the survival instinct for ya.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Twendkata, the only time I go low is to get under someone to either do a sacrifice throw/flip or to pick them up to slam them to the ground - this is a good move if someone throws a sloppy kick - but never pre-empt to do this or you will loose your face!!

Mate, I would never drop into a wide, low stance in a street/defence (or in competition actually) situation (never should say never but there you go!) As others have said - you highlight you have some training or that you intend to defend/attack - you give up your 'wa' to the opponent/agressor. If someone comes in just smash them in the head with a fist or elbow and then get into fighting if this doesn't finish it. Once you're in a fight of any prolonged nature (does happen on the street at times) or in a ring match the favoured position for myself is much akin to a boxer's stance, but not so square on so I can effectively execute quick head kicks and powerful leg attacks - things not easy to effect when in a low stance.

On the street you never want to be on the ground and a low stance is already bringing you half way there for someone with a committed charge or with wresting experience.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I read in 1 post That related to stance and ground type. This post was very correct. Stance in different styles deals with the type of ground you were fighting on many times. Low deep stance give good balance on uneven ground where high stance work well on more even ground. Then also stance in any fight can be ever changeing depend on the fight. You can drop to a lower stance and rise fast during a defence or offence motion. Skill trains this. Now most styles deal with several stances. You will find a key fighting postion You will primarly fight out of and the other postion/ stance are a moment in time. Then you remember that fighting leads to glapple and ground where things are agin much different. As most places here in the U S you would use a higher stance and few times a lower stance. You will find what works well for you But remember you can drop to a low stance then high stance in a blink of an eye During a fight motion. You just have to add the springing action to your movements.

yes I have to agree that there are diferent stances and hights for diferent reasons. You may change your stance and hight depending on what you are doing and what the attacker is doing. what I study teaches changing hights as part of the style and as a technique to help you do other things.

truth_seeker87

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I believe stances are a bit relative in some cases. I don't agree with the super wide Zenkutsu-Dachis, but not the paper thin ones either. I think a good middle ground is good so you can properly use your feet as well as your hands in Tai Sabaki as well as throwing kicks and strikes. You can have it wide and deep or high and narrow, you just need to know why. Its always a good question

Karatedrifter7

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I do know somebody that once got into a deep stance like that and he was a practioner of Isshinryu. This was at a bar and he knocked the guy on his *** when the guy tried to kick him in the balls. He said "He was crazy to go after me once I got into my stance," So yin and yang with that.
Dave

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do know somebody that once got into a deep stance like that and he was a practioner of Isshinryu. This was at a bar and he knocked the guy on his *** when the guy tried to kick him in the balls. He said "He was crazy to go after me once I got into my stance," So yin and yang with that.
Dave

yep, well again its up to the individual. some people like to be deeper then others. diferent stances and hights are there for diferent things. you have to use your training and also what has worked for you.

Latest Discussions