Why body aches???

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I seem to be the exception here. I've been training since 1977 or so, but I can only say that I have trained daily for about the past 16 years along with weight training.

I don't have any joint, bone or muscle trouble/pains besides the normal muscle soreness associated with hard physical training. But, I do practice a system of martials arts that was designed to avoid those problems by using natural body motions in training. This simply means to use proper biomechanics of the human body. So, maybe this is the difference in my case.

R. McLain

Patience, give it a few years, it will happen. :p

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
This simply means to use proper biomechanics of the human body. So, maybe this is the difference in my case.

R. McLain
No, the difference is you're only in your 30s. My body was totally forgiving in my 30s--even into early-mid 40s. I could use it, abuse it, work 20 hour days consistently, start and stop working out at will. Now, such a life would probably kill me, and at the least, my body would scream at me non-stop. :D

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My legs hurt now.

Worked out for a solid hour Friday, solid hour Saturday, and today, tried at World Gym to do another. Did 30 min, and had to spend the balance on the weight machines. Just been kicking to much these last few days. Trying to perfect all my kicks to head level. Gets tough by the third day.

We all need a bit of rest in between hard workouts to let the body repair. Spend that time maybe going through forms, hand excercises, and, hahaha, Martial Arts Talk.

Deaf

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
No, the difference is you're only in your 30s. My body was totally forgiving in my 30s--even into early-mid 40s. I could use it, abuse it, work 20 hour days consistently, start and stop working out at will. Now, such a life would probably kill me, and at the least, my body would scream at me non-stop. :D

Ha, ha. I had to laugh at your comment because it is probably completely true. :) I guess I'll find out how my body will change as I age. Look me up in 20 years.

It is quite common for me to train alongside students in their 50, 60, & 70's at our HQ dojang in Houston. Of course, they don't train like me anymore due to age, as you mentioned. :)

R. McLain

R. McLain

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Manny, did you see a doctor before you came back to TKD?

In middle age pains in the arms, shoulders and chest are not things to take lightly.

Also, keep in mind that changes in your exercise level necessitate changes in diet. I was having really strong muscle spasms in my chest and shoulders when doing pushups and in the abs when doing situps. I did some research and asked my doctor if he tested me for calcium and magnesium deficiency when he did blood work. He did not but drew some more blood. It turned out my magnesium was low. After supplementing this the spasms went away. I'm sure it was a matter of me losing this through sweat due to the warm weather.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Damn you must be old :D

Not young like me... that is if you allow me to ignore the fact my elbow has been bothering me for a month now the hand on the other arm is not all to happy either and of course I have the occasional back issue and knee issue...oh and yesterday after mowing the lawn I actually had to take a nap.... If I can ignore that I can say.... Damn you’re old :uhyeah:

I can remember sitting in my doctor’s office about 10 years ago and saying hmmm you know those injuries we all get when I we are kids that people say you’re going to feel that when you get older…. I think I’m older now

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
As the great W.C. Fields once said: "You're only as old as the woman you feel."
:lool:
Or, like my dad taught me: You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up. ;)

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Damn you must be old :D

Not young like me... that is if you allow me to ignore the fact my elbow has been bothering me for a month now the hand on the other arm is not all to happy either and of course I have the occasional back issue and knee issue...oh and yesterday after mowing the lawn I actually had to take a nap.... If I can ignore that I can say.... Damn you’re old :uhyeah:

I can remember sitting in my doctor’s office about 10 years ago and saying hmmm you know those injuries we all get when I we are kids that people say you’re going to feel that when you get older…. I think I’m older now
Nah, couldn't happen, not to you X-S. :lol: :highfive:

Really, though, it's like middle age: Once you admit to yourself you're in it, in reality you're already coming out the other side (i.e., past it). :D
I should know. ;)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Nah, couldn't happen, not to you X-S. :lol:
Nope not me :yamakawa2 hack cough weeze ouch...damn elbow :scratchy:eek:k maybe a little :uhyeah:

Really, though, it's like middle age: Once you admit to yourself you're in it, in reality you're already coming out the other side (i.e., past it). :D
I should know. ;)

So the trick is never to admit it to yourself :D

Exactly, from now on I will no longer admit it.... oh wait... I already did.... DAMN!!!! KW why didn't you tell me this before

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nope not me :yamakawa2 hack cough weeze ouch...damn elbow :scratchy:eek:k maybe a little :uhyeah:

Exactly, from now on I will no longer admit it.... oh wait... I already did.... DAMN!!!! KW why didn't you tell me this before
You weren't old enough to understand, Grasshopper. :D

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi Manny,

This may be a long shot, but it would cost you nothing to try it for two weeks or so:

I'm still in my thirties (barely!) and never experienced joint pain or soreness until January, when out of the blue my hips and knees developed a low grade ache that just would not go away. It didn't seem to be connected to training or exercises. But I got a tip that certain foods, namely nightshade family vegetables, can trigger arthritis-like symptoms in some people, so I examined my diet. Potato chips, peppers, tomato products, all nightshade vegetables. So I gave them up for two weeks and what do you know, the symptoms disappeared. They have not returned since.

Like I said, this may or may not help but it's a "free" cure if it does. And going without fries or ketchup can only benefit:)

Latest Discussions