Who has done the most for Martial Arts in the United States?

Scuse me folks but has anyone ever looked at Allen Steens list of students?

http://www.akbba.com/akchart.gif

Allen Steen
Joe Lewis
Al Tracy
William E Fairbairn
Rex Applegate
Bruce Siddle
The Gracies
Adriano Emperado

I'd also add Michael Poliakoff, Alan Pittman and Patrick McCarthy for their research.

Joe Lewis was taught Karate in Okinawan

Al Tracy learned from Ed Parker
Gracies learned from thier father
Adriano Emperado learned from WilliamChow
want to buy a magnet that improves your gas mileage??

My vote is for SGM Parker, hands down.
Sean

The Ninja Turtles
The Karate Kid
Power Rangers
Billy Jack
Bruce Lee
Jackie Chan
Muhhamid Ali
The Gracie Family / UFC
"Shaolin" monks
and as much as I hate to admit it.... Pro Wrestling

In order to really do much they have to get media attention and reach people that aren't training... yet. A lot of these names are big names, but no one who is not a martial artist is likely to have ever heard of them, and even a lot that DO train wouldn't have. Mention Ninja turtles and everyone knows what you are talking about though.

Now whether they have given us the image we want is another question, but those are the things that have got people to start training.

I'm with you on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles...every saturday morning for years...if someone changed that channel, they were pulling back a nub instead of a finger.

The Kai said:
Joe Lewis was taught Karate in Okinawan

Al Tracy learned from Ed Parker
Gracies learned from thier father
Adriano Emperado learned from WilliamChow
want to buy a magnet that improves your gas mileage??
Thanks, I really appreciate the fact that you know your history

Well since the ninety's it would be the all mighty Mc Dojo's they have published more advertising and made the general public aware of MA as a sport and it is good clean fun for the childern of tomorrow. Not that I promote the Mc Dojo's of the world just stating facts about there marketing.

terryl965 said:
Well since the ninety's it would be the all mighty Mc Dojo's they have published more advertising and made the general public aware of MA as a sport and it is good clean fun for the childern of tomorrow. Not that I promote the Mc Dojo's of the world just stating facts about there marketing.
Yeah, but is this good for MA?

Bruce Lee has to be at the top. Others include Robert Trias and Chuck Norris (in different ways!).

47MartialMan said:
No not for MA the true MA, but for what it is worth publicity is still good for the sport not the Art.

47MartialMan said:
Is it not better then no one carring and no one training?

Anyone that is serious about it after they join will move on from that first step.

my insperation were

JACKIE CHAN
SAMO HONG
VAN DAMME for bloodsport

and Jason Stillwell you know that guy from no retreat no surrender..

well i was only a kid...........

jjmcc said:
my insperation were

JACKIE CHAN
SAMO HONG
VAN DAMME for bloodsport

and Jason Stillwell you know that guy from no retreat no surrender..

well i was only a kid...........
Are we talking about personal inspiration or deserved recognition on a internationa; scale? :)

47MartialMan said:
Are we talking about personal inspiration or deserved recognition on a internationa; scale? :)
Well im not from the US so i thought id just put in my personal insperations..:idunno:

Latest Discussions

Back