who gave ed parker his black belt ?

shaolinmonkmark

Green Belt
Reaction score
Awesome start.Now, we need "The tracy's, and "Parkers."
Also, if we could obtain Walter Godin's too, as he was promoted to 10th by chow i believe later than parker(?)

"Godin left California and started Godin’s School of Self Defense in Kaimuki, Hawaii. He began teaching when he called Chinese Kempo Karate in 1961. Around this time, Godin also went back to training with Chow, who was now teaching Kara-Ho Kempo, and studied Hawaiian Lua with Brother Abe Kamahoahoa. On December 16, 1973, Chow promoted Godin to the rank of Professor. Godin trained lots of martial artists including Martin Buell, John Hackleman, Eugene Sedeño, Delilah Godin, Bill Takeuchi and David Tavares. Godin continued to teach and operate the only standing school in the Palamas Settlement until his recent passing on August 7, 2001.

shaolinmonkmark

Green Belt
Reaction score
godin received his 10th degree from chow in 1963, so it would make sense to possibly view the certifacate.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sijo Emperado was Prof. Chow's first black belt. He was also 5th degree "chief instructor" under Chow. Even though he had his own school and system, he also taught at Chow's school until 1955.
Here is what he told me about Parker. Around 1953-54, Chow called him at home. Chow could not read or write much more then his name and address, so he asked him to come over and read a letter he got from Parker.
The letter was advising Chow how well Parker was doing teaching kenpo, and how many people were interested in learning the art. He asked Chow if he could promote him to black belt so he could continue to teach and open a branch school for Chow.
Sijo said Chow grumbled and did not want to do it. Sijo told Chow that it would be a good thing if Parker opened a branch school on the mainland. More people would learn about Prof. Chow, and want to come to Hawaii to train with him. Chow relented and sent Parker the certificate.
The arrangement Parker and Chow had turned sour, and Parker was not promoted any higher by Chow.
Years later when Sijo was promoting some of the senior Kajukenbo instructors on the mainland, he told them to also make a certificate for Parker. He then promoted Parker to 8th degree for his contribution to the spread of kenpo on the mainland.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sijo Emperado was Prof. Chow's first black belt. He was also 5th degree "chief instructor" under Chow. Even though he had his own school and system, he also taught at Chow's school until 1955.
Here is what he told me about Parker. Around 1953-54, Chow called him at home. Chow could not read or write much more then his name and address, so he asked him to come over and read a letter he got from Parker.
The letter was advising Chow how well Parker was doing teaching kenpo, and how many people were interested in learning the art. He asked Chow if he could promote him to black belt so he could continue to teach and open a branch school for Chow.
Sijo said Chow grumbled and did not want to do it. Sijo told Chow that it would be a good thing if Parker opened a branch school on the mainland. More people would learn about Prof. Chow, and want to come to Hawaii to train with him. Chow relented and sent Parker the certificate.
The arrangement Parker and Chow had turned sour, and Parker was not promoted any higher by Chow.
Years later when Sijo was promoting some of the senior Kajukenbo instructors on the mainland, he told them to also make a certificate for Parker. He then promoted Parker to 8th degree for his contribution to the spread of kenpo on the mainland.

Akin to what I'd heard as well. Mr. Parker was a childhood hero of mine, and remain(s)/(ed) so. In addition to running with the Parker kenpo crowd, I also ran with some of the Hawaiian kenpo/kempo people. From them, I would hear things about Mr. P. that were not always complimentary, particularly about his business dealings and how he handled his relationships with people in the industry. Luckily, I never saw that side of him, and apparently never gave him cause to. But I understand he could be a disagreeable sort when business dealings or isues of loyalty were at stake.

Thanks for your insight and recollections on this, Mr. Bishop.

D.

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
how many other KENPO or KAJUKENBO instructors have recieved a bb in this way ?

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
how many other KENPO or KAJUKENBO instructors have recieved a bb in this way ?

In the 50's-60's, probably quite a few. It was pretty common for kenpo & kajukenbo practitioners to come to the mainland looking for jobs. And many joined the military and traveled around the world.
Because of a shortage of any accessible karate or kung fu schools, a lot of them started teaching. (Just as you had Brazilian Ju juitsu color belts opening schools in the 90's). After establishing large followings of students, some were promoted to black.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This gets posted from time to time, but here it is again. You can compare signatures on this with the others:

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This gets posted from time to time, but here it is again. You can compare signatures on this with the others:

Hello,

I think, if issued these days, that this certificate could, and would be, considered suspect in regards to validity. I say this as it appears to be a generic certificate form obtainable anywhere.

However, issued when it was holds much more credence, IMO, as that is basically what was available at the time. There were far less options then are available today.

Thank you for posting it, again.
Milt G.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score

In summary and to clarify...

By this assertion you're saying that:
  1. Ed Parker did not earn his black belt from Chow by testing and actually demonstrating his skill and knowledge.
  2. Ed Parker was awarded a black belt from Chow because he simply asked for one.
Now, if we accept that assertion we must also concede that:
  1. Chow awarded black belts to the underserving, or more specifically awarded rank to those who had not demonstrated the knowledge and skill necessary based on the actual standard Chow himself established; otherwise, Parker would have been granted the rank before he left for the mainland.
And, if that is the case then:
  1. That calls into question the legitamacy of any/all black belts awarded by Chow, including the one he awareded to Emperado. If he did it once, then it's likely he did it more than once.
  2. That also calls into question the legitamacy of any/all black belts awarded by both Emperado and Parker, as well as any others granted black belts by Chow who then promoted others.
In essence, in one post you've not only called into question the legitamacy of several systems spawned from the teachings of Chow, but also called into question the legitamacy of every single student that followed! ...including yourself and I of course.

... interesting.

I find it fascinating that the political BS of old still permeates the arts today. Even though it is now widely recognized for what it is, there are still those that chose to perpetuate politics when they should in fact be spending that energy perpetuating the art instead.

Once one separates bruised egos and rumors from these great men, there's really no disputing any of their accomplishments. There is also too much evidence to dispute their skill and knowledge as well... so what's the point of this thread really? What purpose does it really serve? Perhaps a trollish post to spark old arguments and hurt feelings, to stir up the crap once again so to speak?

This thread should have died a while back IMHO. :shrug:

Peace. :asian:

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score

1. Ed Parker did not earn his black belt from Chow by testing and actually demonstrating his skill and knowledge.
  2. Ed Parker was awarded a black belt from Chow because he simply asked for one.
  1. Chow awarded black belts to the underserving, or more specifically awarded rank to those who had not demonstrated the knowledge and skill necessary based on the actual standard Chow himself established; otherwise, Parker would have been granted the rank before he left for the mainland.
  1. That calls into question the legitamacy of any/all black belts awarded by Chow, including the one he awareded to Emperado. If he did it once, then it's likely he did it more than once.
  2. That also calls into question the legitamacy of any/all black belts awarded by both Emperado and Parker, as well as any others granted black belts by Chow who then promoted others.
In essence, in one post you've not only called into question the legitamacy of several systems spawned from the teachings of Chow, but also called into question the legitamacy of every single student that followed! ...including yourself and I of course.

... interesting.

I find it fascinating that the political BS of old still permeates the arts today. Even though it is now widely recognized for what it is, there are still those that chose to perpetuate politics when they should in fact be spending that energy perpetuating the art instead.

Once one separates bruised egos and rumors from these great men, there's really no disputing any of their accomplishments. There is also too much evidence to dispute their skill and knowledge as well... so what's the point of this thread really? What purpose does it really serve? Perhaps a trollish post to spark old arguments and hurt feelings, to stir up the crap once again so to speak?

The Hawaiian lineage martial arts effectively lack the "purebreed" lineages sported proudly by the Japanese budo aristocracy, and start with whomever stated whatever splinter. Of that, I have always been proud. I wrote somewhere before about the differences between a thoroughbred AKC-papered poodle and a backyard pitbull-rottie mix from the bad side of town, and that I would rather be the mix than the poodle when the SHTF.

A BB in the Hawaiian lineages is nothing more, to me, than acknowledgement that we come from that line of scrappers. Proud of it meself.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Hawaiian lineage martial arts effectively lack the "purebreed" lineages sported proudly by the Japanese budo aristocracy, and start with whomever stated whatever splinter. Of that, I have always been proud. I wrote somewhere before about the differences between a thoroughbred AKC-papered poodle and a backyard pitbull-rottie mix from the bad side of town, and that I would rather be the mix than the poodle when the SHTF.

A BB in the Hawaiian lineages is nothing more, to me, than acknowledgement that we come from that line of scrappers. Proud of it meself.

Me too. :)

All this political ga-ga only distracts and detracts from perpetuating the arts though... it just rubs me the wrong way... it's like two 6 year olds bickering about who's dad can whup the other's.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

... interesting.

The legitimacy of belts, grading, and rank (whatever that really means) is far different than the legitimacy of a system or an art. I haven't seen where that is being called to task.

pete

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No one gave out belts until Jigoro Kano in Judo, and these were for sporting accomplishments. Funakoshi followed suit with Karate and then it was on like Donkey Kong. Rank is meaningful within the system it's given in.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
The legitimacy of belts, grading, and rank (whatever that really means) is far different than the legitimacy of a system or an art. I haven't seen where that is being called to task.

pete

I reccomend rereading the previous posts.

If a person's ability is in question, then it stands to reason that the system or art created by said person would also be in question. No?

Anyway...this thread is making me tired. I should follow my own advice and do what I can to contributing to it's death instead of feeding it.

Y'all enjoy! Peace!

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I reccomend rereading the previous posts.

If a person's ability is in question, then it stands to reason that the system or art created by said person would also be in question. No?

Anyway...this thread is making me tired. I should follow my own advice and do what I can to contributing to it's death instead of feeding it.

Y'all enjoy! Peace!

Me too Crippla!

(BUMP)

LOL

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

... interesting.

It's not a assertion, opinion, or even a justification. I'm just relaying the eye witness account of the circumstances of Ed Parker's kenpo black belt promotion.
I have no clue what Prof. Chow's requirements for black belt were at the time. Or even if there was a set requirement.
I think the formalized testing and set standards for belt ranks came about more recently in history.
I've known instructors who did/do no rank testing at all. Some promoted based on time in grade, some just went with their opinion of the students abilities at the time. Some got promoted for teaching others.
And it's not just in the Hawaiian arts. We've all heard the story of Joe Lewis getting hjs black belt in Okinawa in 7 months. Other's in a years time. We've heard the stories of military men in Okinawa coming home with 6th-7th degrees in Isshin Ryu, because their instructor felt he would never see them again, and they would need the rank to grow their organizations.
I think we get into problems when we apply modern standards to earlier times.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's not a assertion, opinion, or even a justification. I'm just relaying the eye witness account of the circumstances of Ed Parker's kenpo black belt promotion.
I have no clue what Prof. Chow's requirements for black belt were at the time. Or even if there was a set requirement.
I think the formalized testing and set standards for belt ranks came about more recently in history.
I've known instructors who did/do no rank testing at all. Some promoted based on time in grade, some just went with their opinion of the students abilities at the time. Some got promoted for teaching others.
And it's not just in the Hawaiian arts. We've all heard the story of Joe Lewis getting hjs black belt in Okinawa in 7 months. Other's in a years time. We've heard the stories of military men in Okinawa coming home with 6th-7th degrees in Isshin Ryu, because their instructor felt he would never see them again, and they would need the rank to grow their organizations.
I think we get into problems when we apply modern standards to earlier times.

I think the last sentence sums it up perfectly. I remember reading about Ueshiba also spot promoting Koichi Tohei to around 5th degree before he went to Hawaii. It was a way to establish Aikido outside of Japan.

People here in the US (as seen by this thread alone) seem stuck on the issue of rank and having a need for one instead of someone's abilities and skill at teaching. Originally, no one cared about rank because there was none. Show me what you got and I'll learn from you...period.

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sensei Cherlyn Kuoha (Grandmaster's oldest daughter) was given her Black-Belt (on the spot) by Professor Chow after knocking another BB out while sparring. She was 15 and I think an orange or purple belt at that time.

He literally stepped over the downed blackbelt and told her she was to be promoted immediately.

Pretty cool I think-

Latest Discussions