Who Do You Train Under?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have alot of grapplers and MMA people on this forum, so I thought it would be cool to hear a little about where you train and who you train under.

For myself, while its been a while since I've made it to a class, I've done the majority of my grappling with Chris Martell from Middletown, CT. Chris is a Purple Belt under Roy Harris. He has had Mr. Harris to his school a number of times, as well as flying down to see him at his school to train.

I also attend seminars with Ron Kosakowski from Waterbury, CT. Ron is a great person, with a ton of experience in the grappling areas, as well as the FMAs. My head is spinning with info. when I'm done with his seminars.

So...what about everyone else! :)

Mike

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All of my grappling training is through my art (basic stuff) and from my teacher who is Godan in Judo.

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I started training Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in Fresno at a Ralph Gracie affiliated school. The main Jiu-jitsu istructor at the time was Ted Stobie, who wore the most beat up belt I've ever seen (it was blue, but looking back the guy should have been at least purple at the time). I trained there for about 6 months.

Then moved to a Royce Gracie school when it opened, training under Tosh Cooke who was a blue belt at the time. I trained at that school for a year and a half, and was promoted to Blue by Royce.

I then moved to Sacramento and began training at the Sacramento State University Grappling Club under Adrian Saldana who was a Purple belt under Cassio Werneck. By the end of that school year Cassio moved to Sacramento peminately, and I've been training with him ever since. Cassio promoted me to purple about 2 1/2 years ago.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! :) I'm sure we have a few more grapplers out there. Lets here from some others as well! :)

Mike

Kwan Jang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Most of my MMA and submission grappling has come from Frank Shamrock and "Crazy" Bob Cook. I've worked quite a bit with Wally and Leon Jay in Small Cirlce Jujitsu over the years. Most of my BJJ base comes from Ralf and Cesar Gracie and I've picked up some pointers from BJ Penn.

MALibrarian

White Belt
Reaction score
I recently started training under John Widmann (Nidan in Judo and a BJJ Brown Belt under Yamasaki). I'm very much a n00b, but thus far having an absolutely amazing time.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For Grappling, I train under Professor Pedro Sauer (6th degree black belt). Our affiliate instructor out here in Washington is Justin Angelos who is a purple belt. I am a blue belt under Pedro Sauer.

before that I took a few lessons from a Gracie Barra school, and have wrestled for 10 years. Our school works closly with Lotus club (juliano Prado) black belt James foster, as well as Rodrigo Medeiros's BJJ revolution team.

Justin has trained with the Gracie academy, Royler and royce gracie, and several other masters on multiple occassions.

FuriousGeorge

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well I havn't posted here in a long time, so hello everybody. I train in bjj and mma under Matt Thornton in Portland.

BJJMichigan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
For Grappling, I train under Professor Pedro Sauer (6th degree black belt). Our affiliate instructor out here in Washington is Justin Angelos who is a purple belt. I am a blue belt under Pedro Sauer.

before that I took a few lessons from a Gracie Barra school, and have wrestled for 10 years. Our school works closly with Lotus club (juliano Prado) black belt James foster, as well as Rodrigo Medeiros's BJJ revolution team.

Justin has trained with the Gracie academy, Royler and royce gracie, and several other masters on multiple occassions.

Question for ya Shogun, did Rodrigo Medeiro's school just promote 4 Brown's belts up to black recently? I though I read that they did? I have heard great things about team revolution.

El_Seepo

White Belt
Reaction score
I did the bulk of my BJJ training in Tokyo under Taka Watanabe, who gave me my blue belt.

I'm currently training in Judo under a lot of talented people.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I trained my grappling with my father. I have also trained with varying other inviduals: Richard Fatheree, Phillip Porter, Omar Ahmad., and Frank Shamrock(at seminars).

El_Seepo

White Belt
Reaction score
I train in BJJ here. He's under Wellington "Megaton" Diaz (Phoenix, AZ), who is under Rickson Gracie.

One of my first exposures to BJJ was in my JKD class (about eight/nine years ago -man I wish that had been nine years of solid training!), taught by a student of Trevor Clarkson, who is a student of Megaton's. I've heard some interesting stories! :D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I train MMA with my instructor Mick Nokes who also the promoter of Pride & Glory Ultimate Fighting shows. He started P&G with Ian Freeman about three years ago and has since taken over as sole promoter. Ian has been signed by IFL to train a British team and is moving to the States for a while.
I'm part of Team Shotai Kai our fighting team. As well as training in our own club we go off to train with others such as Quannum, London Shoot, Leigh Remedious' club among others. Over here we tend to train with fighters although I do some BJJ. Gi grappling/BJJ isn't hugely popular among MMA fighters so most don't do it.

Ernie Henderson

White Belt
Reaction score
At the moment I don't really train under anyone. I run a sub grappling school in A remote area of Central Washington.
I worked with Brain Hipp in spokane for Judo, James Fairley in Spokane for American Freestyle Jiu Jitsu and MMA, and Kurt Rojo in Palm Spring for BJJ.

Real Position

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I started out under Carlson (RIP) and got my blue and purple from him. After he passed away, I started training with De La Riva and got my brown from him.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have alot of grapplers and MMA people on this forum, so I thought it would be cool to hear a little about where you train and who you train under.

For myself, while its been a while since I've made it to a class, I've done the majority of my grappling with Chris Martell from Middletown, CT. Chris is a Purple Belt under Roy Harris. He has had Mr. Harris to his school a number of times, as well as flying down to see him at his school to train.

I also attend seminars with Ron Kosakowski from Waterbury, CT. Ron is a great person, with a ton of experience in the grappling areas, as well as the FMAs. My head is spinning with info. when I'm done with his seminars.

So...what about everyone else! :)

Mike

I train under anyone who is on top of me. ;)

Good Thread idea.

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I started out under Carlson (RIP) and got my blue and purple from him. After he passed away, I started training with De La Riva and got my brown from him.
Wow, sounds like some real solid instruction. Where does De La Riva teach? You must get some great open guard training.

Latest Discussions