Who competes in full contact competitions?

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was just wondering since there are alot of people here who train alot and are high ranks if they compete in full contact competitions?

I still think its alittle different when you see yourself bleed or the feeling of getting across the jaw and it popping ;P

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't play sports.

Try being in a street fight where there are no rules. No ref there to stop things before you get hurt.

Now knock it off and grow up!

Sorry to moderators. You may delete this if you wish.

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I do! Or will, remember kiddies, Tae Kwon Do is a full contact sport. I also train in Judo which is full contact as well. We had nine broken necks last year. No other sport can claim that! "Seven days with out full contact makes one weak!"

OP
C

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Zoran I think you misunderstood my question.

I believe that the difference for training in doing full contact competitions it show skill and to make a name for ones self.

When people street fight it is usually because they are drunk or its over something very stupid.

Street fighting is pointless and can be easily avoided. Yes, lots of people train to beable to defend themselves on the streets, but the question was directed to the people who enjoy full contact sports.

Also on another note any moron can easily pick up a gun and shoot you in an alley when you accidently said something wrong. Now all your training and all your hard work got you no where. When if you would of simply of apologized the whole confrontation could of been over and you could of went home and had a nice hot cup of coco.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Only problem is, some people won't accept an apology. Some see it as weakness.

Streetfighting -is- pointless to most folks, but to some, they feel the need to assert themselves.

Other reasons? You're wearing the wrong colors. Folks have been shot and killed simply for being in the wrong part of town in the wrong colors.

Youre right, someone with a gun and simply point-n-click you right outta existance. Takes no skill to kill with a gun. Many schools teach gun defences, but most will agree that its a 'nothing to lose' attempt. The whole, I'm gonna get shot anyway, may as well try it thing.

Some of the folks on this forum have been training for over 30 years. They've banged with the best of the best. You don't get there by reading some books and doing the 30 min a week thing. I've watched 2 of our members (Ingmar Johansson and Tim Hartman) doing some stickwork a while back..I couldn't see the bloody things, they were going so fast. Thats hundreds of hours of serious practice. These guys are "That Damn Good". :)

You're right that youth is good for learning...its the age and experience that guides you to the proper applications and beyond.

Or, put anotherway, Bruce Lee was good, but he died in his 30's, his art unfinished. We have no way of knowing just how good it would have been if he'd had the luxury that guys like Ed Parker and Remy Presas did to perfect and refine it over another 30 years.

Oh yeah, and if you're in a biker bar, do -not- order a long island iced tea...not a good thing. :)

:asian:

OP
C

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Only beers right? Hardy har.

I see your points and since I rarely see someone as good as the people you are talking about I think its hard for me to grasp the concepts you are talking about.

This is why I guess I argue so much is because its hard for me to understand that someone could be that good. I know that you talk about the books and such and the 30 minutes but I mean I don't know how old everyone is :p

I will try to be more open minded about things that people say and try and believe what they say alittle more since I just thought that intercepting a punch would be quite difficult....since I hardly every see anyone throw punches like you describe.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually yeah. I got a real odd look when I changed the order to "Rum and Coke"...If the folks I was hanging out with that day weren't regulars, I'd probably have a few teeth missing. was a rough place. :D

Alot of the folks here have got a broad range of experience. Renegade (Tim Hartman) is a 6th degree with over 20 years experience. GoldenDragon trained with Ed Parker Sr.

Of the 4 mods here, I'm the lowest ranked guy (Just got my Yellow in Modern Arnis today). :D (Man, thats good huh?)

I'll be honest, I'm right there with you. I've got a good library of well read books, have watched a ton of video, and have trained a bit (various arts over the last few years). I spar with experienced folks. 1 guy I spar with on occation is a NorthAmerican JuJitu champ. (not sure on the fed, div, etc). He's got some kicks ya wouldn't believe. I've caught a few too. :D Then, he reversed things. Ceiling nice, needed paint. :D

The folks we have here are for the most part, pretty cool, and have a wealth of info to share. Keep the mind open, and such, and you'll find a goldmine here.

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Carbon,

Let me see if I can put it in a way you can understand. I've been a Martial Artist for about 16 years. There are people here that have twice as many years and people who haven't even stepped foot into a MA school. The whole "forum thing" is about learning, sharing, and just plain old chat. We all do NOT agree, and may have negative opinions about each other. I'm from Kenpo and we can't agree on some very fundmental things. The major requirement here is respect. Respect does not mean you have to agree with someone, it just means to respect their opinion.

Now the whole problem with your posts is simple. It's your language. For example, the first post on this string is insulting, condesending, and sarcastic. This is not the only one. Now if you disagree about something someone posts, try to ask a question first. Maybe there is something you don't know. If you still disagree, then voice your opinion, respectfully. Choose your words carefully, don't just spit out the first thing that wants to come out.

So, why did I attack you? Well, you pissed me off. Think of us as a disfunctional family. We may fight, scream, yell, bite, and scratch at each other. When an outsider comes along and attacks one of us, we gang up on that person. This is why I insulted you when you did not directly attack me.

This forum can be a positive experience and a learning one. Think of it this way, if you hear some cr@p, now you know what cr@p smells like. But, even a rose can grow in cr@p.

Great, now I sound like a fortune cookie. I'm outa hear.

OP
C

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
"I was just wondering since there are alot of people here who train alot and are high ranks if they compete in full contact competitions?

I still think its alittle different when you see yourself bleed or the feeling of getting across the jaw and it popping ;P"

I don't mean to disagree with you again or say this in a condasending way but how is what I said in the first post insulting?

B

bscastro

I had a long post that got erased for some reason...perhaps this is for the better as now I am annoyed and will put a more concise reply. :)

It seems that part of the conflict is how combat sports and real life situations relate. Of course, a boxing, kickboxing, jujitsu, or NHB match can simulate a real fight because there are rules. However, these competitions can help develop attributes such as timing, strength, speed, endurance (even if it is the endurance to run away--which I think should always be the first option looked at in a street situation), skills within the compeitions (e.g. striking, kicking, throwing, grappling, etc.), mental toughness, ability to take a hit, and determination, etc.

As for myself, I have not been in a fight since high school and hope to never be in one again. In my current training, I am doing more full-contact sparring and would like to compete in some type of combat sport competition in the future. Why? I think it would be fun (which should be one of the reasons for putting your body in harm's way). Also, I think it would be a way to test myself. Test my ability to "fight for real"? No, since the competition has rules, but it would test all of the attributes I mentioned above.

My fiancee sometimes ask, "can you defend yourself if you had to?" It's always a tough question to answer, because you don't know what the situation is until you're in it. However, I think my current training has improved my chances if ever put to that test.

In any case, I hope we can all share and learn from each other in this forum. Even if we disagree, I hope we can all be respectful of each other.

Regards,
Bryan

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by bscastro

I had a long post that got erased for some reason...

No posts in this thread were deleted by the moderators--perhaps it was a computer error?

-Arnisador
-MT Mod-

B

bscastro

Hello,

My computer locked up. I had written a less thought out reply which was too long, so maybe it was my computer's way of telling me that. :)

Bryan

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had a long post that got erased for some reason

We don't delete posts unless they are 1-spam, 2-extremely obsene, or most commonly 3-asked to by the original poster. We have yet to have to do #2.

We do however from time to time experience glitches that cause things to time out, and posts to be lost -when you are posting them-. I recomend that befor hitting the POST button, highlight your message and do a copy (CTRL-C for IE users). This way if for some reason it craps out, you can save retyping everything.

If you have a problem posting, please feel free to email me and let me know so I can look into it. Include time of day (and your time zone too) :)

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz

Of the 4 mods here, I'm the lowest ranked guy (Just got my Yellow in Modern Arnis today). :D (Man, thats good huh?)

Oh man, I DREAM of my yellow belt in Modern Arnis...but I will still order a "Shirly Temple" in any bar I want.
:shrug:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Must remember to take ya with me next time I hit that particular watering hole...The drink order alone will garantea! some action.

:rofl:

L

LanceWildcat1

I was just wondering since there are alot of people here who train alot and are high ranks if they compete in full contact competitions?
I don't consider myself as being a high rank, although I do train quite a bit. However, I've competed in some santioned events in USSD and other venues. There are rules, but people DO get hurt occasionally. You accept the risk, when you compete, that accident's will happen. So, make sure you are prepared ahead of time with the proper safety equipment. I've been knocked unconscious, and had some teeth loosened, I've won some matches and lost some matches. If you are going to compete, you take these things as given's-that they are going to happen. You try to minimize the risk's, as much as possible, but they will happen.

I still think its alittle different when you see yourself bleed or the feeling of getting across the jaw and it popping ;P
On this, I have to relate something that happened to me!! I was in a competition last year, sparring with a fellow from another school. I took, and gave some heavy hits. The referee stopped the bout at one point, bent over and picked up a tooth from the floor, and asked who lost it. We both checked and claimed neither of us lost it. The match continued to it's conclusion. (I don't even remember who won!) After the match, I went to change, and found that my mouth was bleeding somewhat. Naturally, the first thing I checked was to see if I lost a tooth. I found that I had. I finished dressing and went out to watch some more matches. My opponent in the sparring match came up to me and said that he was the one who had lost the tooth during our match, and showed me a tooth!! I showed him the tooth that I had, and we actually had a laugh about that fact that neither of us had realized at the time that we had lost teeth during the match. We got to talking and I found out that he was moving here and looking for a school to train at. I introduced him to my instructor, and the rest, as they say, is history. We now train together and occasionally laugh about the match that we both 'lost'! :asian:

G

GouRonin

I think that the reason that you see more injuries in point contact and not as much in full contact is that the people doing point contact are as prepared both physically and mentally for the actuality of conflict.

You see far less in the way of injuries in boxing than you do in point sparring and I think that says something about the participants and their state of preparedness.

S

sweeper

I don't quite inderstand gou, I have had my jaw dislocated a few times and get bloodied noses every couple weeks from sparing with relativly light contact. it's not a big deal and I don't realy think it's nessisary to train 100% force all the time..

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by sweeper
I don't quite inderstand gou, I have had my jaw dislocated a few times and get bloodied noses every couple weeks from sparing with relativly light contact. it's not a big deal and I don't realy think it's nessisary to train 100% force all the time..

I think you misunderstand my post. In fact I never said that people should be training at 100% at all.

The fact that you get dislocated jaw accidents with light contact confirms my hypothesis that people who train for hard contact in a certain manner avoid these problems while point fighters end up with issues like this because they are point fighters.

Latest Discussions