Whistle-blowing witch grounded by TSA

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's a situation for all you aspiring managers: If you were the boss at a U.S. government agency and one of your employees complained that she was afraid of a co-worker's religious practices, what would you do?
Would it change your decision if the religion were Wicca, and the employee feared her co-worker because she thought she might cast a spell on her?
Here's how the Transportation Security Administration handled it:
It fired the witch.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41959553/ns/business-us_business/

I would like to take this opportunity to announce that effective immediately, the TSA as an organization is not welcome on MartialTalk. MartialTalk does not welcome members of organizations that are actively discriminatory towards members of legitimate minority faiths, or who blatantly violate the rights of workers and citizens, put the safety of the US at great risk. Those employed by them are encouraged to seek gainful employment with organizations that honor the US Constitution, respect the rights of US Citizens, as well as other nationalities.

If any representative or supervisor with the TSA has an issue with this policy, I will remind them that this business reserves the right to deny service to anyone, at anytime, for any or no reason, and that "TSA" is -not- a protected group.

We invoke this right and you are not welcome here.

The TSA is now on our list of "Unwelcome Organizations and Individuals".

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I posted this on Facebook.

The TSA is now on the "Undesirable" list at MartialTalk. Members of this terrorist organization are not welcome until they respect the US Constitution, the rights of US Citizens, and actually perform the duty they are charged with.
They can't detect weapons going onto planes, they can't check luggage for explosives, too busy irradiating people with nudie scanners and fondling little kids, and now allowing harassment of members of minority religions and trumping up charges to dismiss actually competent employees. Sorry, enough is enough and as a private business I now choose to join with other private businesses in denying this group my services. "TSA" isn't a "protected group".

The definition of "Terrorist" is "one who instills terror". Law abiding US Citizens are terrified of this organization, that is above the laws the rest of us must follow, who can act at whim and we are powerless to fight back. Until they can act within the US Constitution, follow the same laws, be held equally accountable for their actions, and successfully fulfill their duty to provide actual security, while respecting our rights, I refuse to do business with them, provide their members with services or products. They can go elsewhere.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think they weighed her. If it was mentioned, they probably just made the number up, much as they fabricated much of their complaints against her.

What I find appalling is the fact the judge in question pretty much knew the TSA railroaded her, yet still found against her.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's the problem, Bob.

I actually read the article and much of the supporting documents. (Not the several hundred page hearing transcript... I do try to have a life!)

This looks like nothing more than managerial incompetence and people working the system to get rid of an employee who got on the wrong side of the "in crowd." The fired worker, Smith, was certainly the victim of a clique. Her religion, it seems, was incidental and she didn't protest any religious harassment through proper channels, so that argument fell apart in front of the judge. And she, unfortunately, gave them some grounds, however trumped up. It would be interesting, and would have been powerful evidence for discrimination, to see if other employees committed similar violations -- and I'd like to see some evidence for the abuse of sick leave accusations. I don't think she'll win on appeal.

And, yes, the accusation about a spell on the heater and following an employee home was ridiculous, as were the one-sided applications of the "stay away from each other" directive.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think they weighed her. If it was mentioned, they probably just made the number up, much as they fabricated much of their complaints against her.

What I find appalling is the fact the judge in question pretty much knew the TSA railroaded her, yet still found against her.
She made a fatal error: she didn't know the rules of the field she was fighting on.

She should have had a lawyer represent her. If there wasn't one who'd take the case -- that's a clue that there's a significant flaw in the case. At a minimum, when she began to suspect that she was being targeted (and I'm skeptical that she didn't have suspicions earlier), she should have found out how to document the suspicions. The judge's hands were tied because the laws required Smith to establish a basic case and she failed to do it.

Unfortunately, most organizations have rules and policies that can be used to target unpopular or disliked employees by managers who know how to work the system. Like I said above -- I have no doubt that the woman was targeted. Maybe because of her religious practices or because Bagnoli just didn't like her. But Bagnoli had the ear of the supervisory chain (clearly!) and Smith was probationary.

Last edited:
OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
2 side notes, just so no one misinterprets this.:
1- Law Enforcement, Military, etc are welcome here. Just not the TSA.
2- My decision to ban the TSA is not due to this 1 incident, but their actions over the past several years. This was just the 'last straw' as it were.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
She made a fatal error: she didn't know the rules of the field she was fighting on.

I think way too many people fall into this case. Don't know the law, don't know the rules, and don't know how to cover their asses until it's too late.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This termination is so bogus its not even funny! The coworker sounds like some paranoid nutcase, who hears the word 'witch' and right away, the first thing that comes to mind, is some evil, ugly, wart on the nose woman, black cat and broom stick in hand, flying thru the night, causing chaos. Please...

As for the whistle blowing....sounds like another case of the TSA not taking responsibility for their **** ups! They know they **** up left and right, but hate that its broadcast to everyone, so when a WB brings these things to light, instead of saying, "Yes, we **** up, and we're taking the necessary precautions to prevent further **** ups." they terminate the problem.

Thank God I dont fly much.

Latest Discussions