Which was first

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sitting here wondering which came first Self Defense in Martial Art or the attack.

I was just courest it is like thwe question the egg or the chicken.

I would imagine the attacker and the SD was an after thought what do you think.
Terry

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think what came first was an attempt to get fat, lazy monks into shape so they would quit falling asleep during lectures. :)

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Two cave man talking...one said something about his wife....one of them started to attack...the other block it. I think an attack is first...than we learn to block.

like catching a ball....someone has to throw it first before one can catch it?

If no one knows about attacking? ...then we will not know about defending (self-defense). Lucky man has learn to hate each other.........if not martial arts would have not be bought about.....

Wars would have no meaning....if we did not learn about this....lucky for us. We had lots of them and lots of practice....one day it will be perfect...? ......always strive for perfection......Aloha

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would think that the attack would come first, the reason being would be that you would not need a defense had it not been for pain. Thus, I guess in my way of seeing it, you have to experience pain in order to devise a way to defend yourself.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, Two cave man talking...one said something about his wife....one of them started to attack...the other block it. I think an attack is first...than we learn to block.

like catching a ball....someone has to throw it first before one can catch it?

If no one knows about attacking? ...then we will not know about defending (self-defense). Lucky man has learn to hate each other.........if not martial arts would have not be bought about.....

Wars would have no meaning....if we did not learn about this....lucky for us. We had lots of them and lots of practice....one day it will be perfect...? ......always strive for perfection......Aloha

Take it farther back and think about protecting yourself as a cave man against nasty animals that consider you dinner, or attacking your dinner. In this context, it wouldn't be the chicken or the egg, it would be the eater, or the eatee. :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jdinca said:
I think what came first was an attempt to get fat, lazy monks into shape so they would quit falling asleep during lectures. :)

That's pretty much it, I guess :D An art of motion originally stemmed from Yoga, taught to Buddhist monks to keep them in shape.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jdinca said:
That's fairly recent. What about the 40,000 years of human history before that.
Sean

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hmmmmmm without the attack there is no need for the defence so i woul say attack
unless the first time someone thought they where going to be attacked they picked up a rock or stick and scared the other guy off then defence came first

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jdinca said:
Take it farther back and think about protecting yourself as a cave man against nasty animals that consider you dinner, or attacking your dinner. In this context, it wouldn't be the chicken or the egg, it would be the eater, or the eatee. :)

Indeed. Survival of the fittest, in many animal species, includes defending oneself against other members of the same species, similar species, and predators. Adult male Silverback Gorillas, for example, fight off other males for breeding rights, as do the males of many species. Techniques used to fight for breeding rights could easily be transfered to protection against predators and vice versa. Fighting for breeding rights could easily expand to fighting for prime feeding and mating grounds... thus leading to the need to defend one's mate, offspring, and food source, leading from there into the need to learn steadily more sophisticated forms of attack and self-defense.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Adult male Silverback Gorillas, for example, fight off other males for breeding rights, as do the males of many species.

sounds like some idiots I knew back in L.A.

good points on how survival and mateing may have been related back when

Latest Discussions