Which martial art suits me?

OP
S

silveringking

White Belt
Reaction score
So I've checked out the federation the sambo federation, and they do sports sambo, they don't know anyone who teaches combat sambo, also the trainer said their sambo is very "judo like". But I guess is worth a shot...

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have seen it via video and such. And its not limited to one person. There is at least that block out there. Not saying other styles are defacto better than it though, or someone who calls themselves krav maga couldn't have gone to shiv works classes like 20 times.

Thats why the elements of observation and verbal skills etc are generally better with a small introduction physical skillet to get you out of situations you need to fight out of. Maybe more on the physical side than verbal if you arent the type who can ab lib your way out of things as easily.

An emphasis on stun and run is pretty good as well. Or hit first then run. (where it is lawful to do so, not presuming to know the legal status on that in Portugal) Maybe use the small physical skill set they give you to train your aggression as well so you can switch it on and off when you need to. That is a pretty key skill. (which i just forgot about)
Well maybe you shouldn't be giving advice on things you've only watched videos about

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
The word..sciences..should be used rather tentatively in that statement.

As someone who has co-authored more than one peer-reviewed article, this comment hurts my soul. It's not wrong, but it hurts all the same.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A competition fighter is training for a specific competition with a specific ruleset. There are way too many variables to try and focus like that on self defense.

Which is why self defense has no real meaning. It is a weasel word.

But you could use the competition training method to learn to fight. Street fight, bar fight, war, whatever. Just change the priorities. And then add to those elements situational skills as you deem neccessary. Which could be a range of different life skills.

So say defensive driving. Coupled with a fighters composure. Then add some deescalation ability and th he abilities to bust a fool up.

And you have a pretty basic tool set to handle a road rage for example.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tell that to the social sciences. Seriously, all of my syllabi this semester have entire pages devoted to microaggressions and triggers. Make it stop!

Natural remedy for that is to take a tea spoon of cement.

And harden up.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As someone who has co-authored more than one peer-reviewed article, this comment hurts my soul. It's not wrong, but it hurts all the same.
The truth hurts, doesn’t it? Oh sure, maybe not as much as jumping on a bicycle with the seat missing, but it hurts.
- Lt. Frank Drebin, Police Squad.

Latest Discussions