which is ure favourite kata

Pale Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
Of all of the Pinan/Heian/Pyung Ahn Forms - I can say that I am more fond of Pyung Ahn Sadan.

Of course I enjoy doing the Bassai Dai / Pal Che more then the Pinans, and I am just now learning the Naihanchis/ Nae Bu Jins - I have the first two down, and working on the third.

I can see that by the way the videos are presented are alot different then the way that TSD does them. They are similiar but different.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Favorite? Gopei Sho, closely followed by Wanshu / Empi Sho (almost the same kata).

S

Satori

I really like the entire Pinan Series, as so many different applications are inherent within the relatively simple sets of Kata.

My personal favorite Kata is Rohai. The only problem is that I was taught differently than the standard Shito Ryu Matsumura Rohai.

May you achieve
Satori

OP
T

thepanjr

Green Belt
Reaction score
So far i like all the naifanshin, ten no katas, bassai dai, chuck ku san shodan,matsuikaze.some of these katas are from shito ryu. More than26 katas to learn . Possibly 40 or over. So far i know 21. I have another question is ther any style that has a number of katas that are below 26 or over.

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
thepanjr said:
So far i like all the naifanshin, ten no katas, bassai dai, chuck ku san shodan,matsuikaze.some of these katas are from shito ryu. More than26 katas to learn . Possibly 40 or over. So far i know 21. I have another question is ther any style that has a number of katas that are below 26 or over.
Our System of Fusho-Satori-Ryu has 6 set and 2 that you build.
Nishichio Kata, Taikiyoko Kata, Kicking Set,Advanced Form Nishichio Kata, Kata Seisan & Bassai Dai.
Then you have to Make your own Empty Hand Kata and then a Weapon Kata.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
BruceCalkins said:
Our System of Fusho-Satori-Ryu has 6 set and 2 that you build.
Is this something you built into your systems or did one of your instructors do this also? How well does it work for your students?

K

kenpochad

I like long 4 and Ilike to put short 3 and mass attack together for tournaments

N

nickkorn

Definantly Unsu for me, its the one i use in competitions in the final round, bassai dai and matsumura bassai are a close 2nd and third.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Henderson said:
Seiunchin

This was a favorite of mine too. I've done it in a few different styles. I like the beginning. Naihanchi (Isshin-ryu version) was cool too.

I miss kata in many ways!

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
This was a favorite of mine too. I've done it in a few different styles. I like the beginning. Naihanchi (Isshin-ryu version) was cool too.

I miss kata in many ways!

You like Seiunchin too? Cool.. I like the opening part :) The breathing and hand movements are very beautiful. But then usually I mess up the right hand and left hand techniques (right after the three steps forward), so this is not my fave Kata :(

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
nickkorn said:
Definantly Unsu for me, its the one i use in competitions in the final round, bassai dai and matsumura bassai are a close 2nd and third.

Are you from shito-ryu? because you mention matsumura bassai.

I never seen shito-ryu Unsu in action. What does it looks like? Does it have the 360 degrees jump like the Shotokan version?

Martin h

Green Belt
Reaction score
twendkata71 said:
I have two favorites. Seiyunchin and suparempei.

Seienchin/seyunchin is beautiful. easily one of my fav katas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions