Which is the best self defense schools on Long Island NY?

OP
D

DiveInArts222

White Belt
Reaction score
Edit: Also posting places is most helpful, if you are worried about personal security you could cite us overarching federations etc.

I can do that!

Ling Nam Siu Lum - Kung Fu Academy

Brown's Riptide Dojo

Master Higa's Okinawa Kenpo Karate School - Home Page

Contact Goshinkan Ju-Jitsu Dojo In Merrick Long Island

I hope this is ok I post this here, I would love some honest opinions if anyone has knowledge of any of these places and which one would be the best for me from my descriptions so far. Thanks!

OP
D

DiveInArts222

White Belt
Reaction score
I did a quick google search and there are 139 Martial Arts schools in Nassau County, including a number right in your home town. I wouldn't be so dismissive of kids' martial arts. At my school, there are a lot of kids, but some of those kids transition to the adult classes as teenagers, and some of them are pretty good. Honestly, you have the tools to find local schools, and it makes no sense to ask internet strangers from around the world for this kind of advice. Take some time, watch a few classes, even take a few classes. Pay attention to the students who have been there awhile, because that is you in 6 months, a year, or 2 years from now.

You need to decide how hard you want to train. I am happy with my choice of Tae Kwon Do, but if I were younger, I might go with a grappling style like Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

I can try to see, but I keep finding places that have too many kids with grown belts already. I listed some places right now that I haven't been to yet but heard of them and saw some star ratings online for them but that's about it. Is TKD a bad style?

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I can try to see, but I keep finding places that have too many kids with grown belts already. I listed some places right now that I haven't been to yet but heard of them and saw some star ratings online for them but that's about it. Is TKD a bad style?
Most successful Traditional Martial Arts schools will have a lot of kids. The kids classes keep the lights on at a lot of these places. Get used to it. Not really your problem as long as you get the quality training you need.

TKD is a fine style. It is what I do. Good workout. That said, there are different styles of TKD from traditional to sport TKD. As I said, go to the adult classes and give it a shot. Does it seem like a good workout. Do the adults apply the techniques? What do they spend their time doing? One of the things you need to know is, all traditional martial arts devote at least a little training time to patterns/forms/kata. And that is fine. But if that is all they do, maybe consider looking elsewhere.

I like the mix of traditional MA forms, drills and live sparring at my current school, and I can put up with the kids because I don't have to deal with the younger ones, and I realize kids are what keeps the doors open. That said, this is the type of martial arts I grew up with, and it works for me. If I were younger and looking to compete or really challenge myself, which would mean getting my *** kicked night after night until I caught on, I would probably go more towards a more combat oriented MMA or BJJ type of school.

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can see how my original post may have been misunderstood. There’s nothing wrong with children in the dojo. I believe the children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way :)

My reservation is training WITH the kids in the same class. There are schools out there that have adults and kids training together in the same class. That’s not for me, and it’s not for a lot of adults I know.

My daughter was 5 when she started training. My CI was her main teacher. I helped teach her class a few times. I would’ve loved to take a class with her every once in a while. But that would be for fun, not for anything serious. And I wouldn’t take class with kids if my children weren’t in the class. That would be like Kramer dominating the dojo in Seinfeld.

Latest Discussions