Which forms do you practice?

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
cali_tkdbruin said:
At my dojang we begin with the taeguek poomse, later after one achieves Black level the palgwe poomse are introduced. For me, poomse practice is one of the best parts of TKD. I enjoy learning the new forms and working up a good sweat practicing the old patterns over and over. With my short memory if I don't practice my forms over and over I will certainly forget them... :idunno:
yeah..they're great to practice...last night myself and two other senior students led the class through each form twice...starting with palgwe il chang and working our way up. When we went passed what some students knew they dropped out and worked on their own for a while...once we finished with palgwe pal chang twice we just worked on our own for a while

there's no tired like "i just did 20 some forms straight" tired....it was a great warmup

J

jakmak52

Tan Gun - Legendary Founder of Korea

To San - Philosopher & Educator

Yul Kuk - Confucius of Korea

Toi Gye - Pen name of a Noted Scholar

Choi Gye - Iron Horse

Hwa Rang - Korean youth movement to reunite the 3 kingdoms of Sila

Choong Mu - Admiral of the 1st Korean Armored Battleship

Kwan Gye - 19th Emperor of the Koguryo Dynasty

Bat Sai Dai (Major) - Breaking through the Fortress

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score

That kinda makes it sound like he commanded one ship. He was the primary commander for the Korean navy. He designed the armored battleship, and used them to tear the invading Japanese army's naval power and supply lines to shreds. (Which left the Japanese in quite a bind) Was relieved of his command due to political pressures, but eventually regained his comission and ended up dying while pursuing the retreating Japanese forces.

J

jakmak52

Marginal said:

That kinda makes it sound like he commanded one ship. He was the primary commander for the Korean navy. He designed the armored battleship, and used them to tear the invading Japanese army's naval power and supply lines to shreds. (Which left the Japanese in quite a bind) Was relieved of his command due to political pressures, but eventually regained his comission and ended up dying while pursuing the retreating Japanese forces.
Actually, Choong-Moo was the name given to the great Admiral Yi Soon-Sin of the Yi Dynasty. He was reputed to have invented the first armored battleship (Kobukson) in 1592, which is said to be the precursor of the present day submarine. This pattern ends with a left hand attack, to symbolize his regrettable death. He was noted for his unrestrained loyalty to the King.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know the pattern history. (Though mine differs from yours slightly as his death was regrettable due to the loss of his limitless potentiality, which was restrained by the king.)

On top of that, there's still actual Korean history. Precursor to the submarine aside, the battleships were important largely because he used them to fight off the Japanese invasion. The king replaced him due to political pressure before finally being forced to reinstate him because his replacement was inept. He then died while chasing the retreating Japanese forces.

Pattern history's fine, but it means more when you know the actual historical context.

J

jakmak52

Marginal said:
I know the pattern history. (Though mine differs from yours slightly as his death was regrettable due to the loss of his limitless potentiality, which was restrained by the king.)

On top of that, there's still actual Korean history. Precursor to the submarine aside, the battleships were important largely because he used them to fight off the Japanese invasion. The king replaced him due to political pressure before finally being forced to reinstate him because his replacement was inept. He then died while chasing the retreating Japanese forces.

Pattern history's fine, but it means more when you know the actual historical context.
You are so right!! Knowing the background and roots helps me so much. Take care Marginal:)

Latest Discussions