Which forms do you practice?

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Faye said:
Am I the only one that practices Pinan forms here?

No Faye, you're not. :D We call that series by their Korean name however, Pyong-an. We also practice other forms of Japanese and Okinawan origin, such as Pal-sek (a.k.a. Bassai).

You may want to do a search in this forum and in the Korean MA forum for Chung Do Kwan forms.

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
thanks to everyone for their responses...interesting to learn the variety of how tkd is practiced

N

NW Boiler

Being ATA.... songahm forms I am not familiar with the others.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe the World Tae Kwon Do Association under Sung Duk Song still practices the Pinan forms, along with several other Japanese-originated forms. After he left Korea, the KTA began the development of the Palgue forms in order to replace the Japanese forms with Korean-originated ones.
The Chung Do Kwan originally practiced the Pinan forms because they were what Won Kuk Lee learned while in Japan.

Gizmo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When I started training back in the 80's in a WTF scholl, we practiced the Palgwe patterns. However, the school closed after several years and I have switched to ITF, where I had to start as a white belt again (not much of a problem) and to leard a new set of patterns, the Chang Hon ones - Chon-Ji etc. (that was more of a problem). After a couple of years I opened my school and got back to my original style. However, nowadays only Taeguk poomse are recognized in the WTF association here, so I had to start over with the third set of patterns ;-)

Right now, we teach both Taeguk and ITF patterns. 1st Dan patterns are Taeguk 8 and Choong-Moo. We also have an addition - a pattern called Koryo Soh, which is really a favourite among our pattern performers (even if they can perform it only on open events). It's different to the Koryo used in the WTF. Another interesting element is the Kyorugi Taeguk or "kicking pattern" we learned from one of our masters. It wasn't included in our curriculum so far, but we think about adding it to the 1st Kup requirements.

Regards

Gizmo

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My dojang teaches the Taegeuk set. I came from a TSD school and learned most of the Pyung ahns. The Taegeuks, in my opinion, are easier till Taegeuk 7. That form was a b**ch to learn after the others being kinda easy (I got to used to it I think LOL).

We learn Koryo for probationary BB.

J

jaymo

i'm lucky enough to belong to a really cool school. the one i attend uses the pagwe-forms(pardon me i lack spelling abilities), and offers a wide variety of martial arts: kali, modern arnise, hapkido, tai chi, chinese weapons, jun fan, cs wrestling, and a few others that i'm sure i'm forgetting. in order to earn a black belt, the school requires one to have so many hours of ground fighting, sparring, and encourages cross training.

i'm pretty much a tkd gal-(i just started taking kali). the hardest part for me is finding the time to get classes in--does anyone struggle with this? i juggle a teaching job, husband, fiction writing, religious services, and a compromised immune system.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do ITF forms.

Right now my job's making it almost impossible to get to class. All I can do is work on the stuff I've learned at home etc when I have some down time. (To start a new thread, just hit the "new thread" button at the top of the forum before you go into any of the threads)

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
at my current school we do ITF and WTF forms is kinda confusing cus i dont remember what ones go to what group

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I was coming up through the ranks of TKD we were training the ITF style. As some of the others posted mine were Chong Ji, Dan Gun, Do San, Won Hyo (etc.)

Kamaria Annina

Green Belt
Reaction score
Chonji, Eil, Ee, Som, Sa, Oh, Yuk, Chil, Pal - for the colored belts

and Koryo, Keumgang, Taeguek... and up for black belts.

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
were those taeguek or palgwe for the colored belt patterns?

Hwoarang_tkd26

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Kamaria Annina said:
Chonji, Eil, Ee, Som, Sa, Oh, Yuk, Chil, Pal - for the colored belts

and Koryo, Keumgang, Taeguek... and up for black belts.
Wow!
That is so cool. That is exactly the forms in the exact same order that we do in my school.
It says in your profile that you are from CO, say!, your instructor wouldn't happen to be Master Dean Jensen would it?

Hwoarang_tkd26

Orange Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
were those taeguek or palgwe for the colored belt patterns?
All the forms for the colored belts besides the first one "Chonji" are from the Taeguek forms, and "chonji" I believe comes from the Chang hon forms.
Strange, yes I know, but that is just how our school does it.

- Hwoarang_tkd26

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
We practice the Taeguek poomsae at our dojang.

The Palgwe poomsae is now not even supplemental. I think they are being phased out. We used to do them, but haven't in several years.

You can download all of the poomsae from the Kukkiwon's website. Might as well go to the source!

Take Care,

Miles

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the kukkiwon doesn't have the palgwe's do they?...i thought i've looked there a couple times and they just have the taegueks...or maybe i missed them...

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
We do Taeguek and after 1st Dan, traditional forms-Chonji, Toesan, Tangun, etc. which are ITF forms but stylized WTF. Funny, my instructor just had that conversation about some of the moves are a little different from regular ITF. So I have to practice twenty forms so far. I've tested for those but can't learn any more until I do my break. Wonder if that's a blessing, its hard enough to keep 20 up. TW
At our Dojo we learn Chon Ji, Dan-Gun, Do San and I dont know what the next ones are, because they are not part of our belt. You sort of mentioned the ones that you do, and they seem the same, why is the spelling different??

G

Galvatron

We do "Dol Poong" forms in my organization. They're unique to our system.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
At my dojang we begin with the taeguek poomse, later after one achieves Black level the palgwe poomse are introduced. For me, poomse practice is one of the best parts of TKD. I enjoy learning the new forms and working up a good sweat practicing the old patterns over and over. With my short memory if I don't practice my forms over and over I will certainly forget them... :idunno:

Latest Discussions